Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 31st August 2007, 13:17   #31
Senior - BHPian

And thats where a common man suffers. They should have a Central road tax/registration office in each state.

Road Tax should be distributed by this office to each state depending on where the vehicle is registered.

If the vehicle changes state, this office will adjust from existing state and transfer the balance road tax to the next state and remaining to be collected along with the change of state application from the individual.

This way its transparent, efficient (since money transfers between state exchequers), not prone to bribing and easy for the common one, but only if someone could make the bureaucrats think

Bangalore One is authorised to collects the Road tax in bangalore, I dont know if thay can calculate and accept the application forms too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but lifetime road tax goes to state govt and not central govt, which is the sole reason why different states are free to have diff tax structures. So a person going all the way to AP/TN to buy a bike pays road tax that goes straight to the respective state govts.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2007, 18:11   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
And thats where a common man suffers. They should have a Central road tax/registration office in each state.

Road Tax should be distributed by this office to each state depending on where the vehicle is registered.

If the vehicle changes state, this office will adjust from existing state and transfer the balance road tax to the next state and remaining to be collected along with the change of state application from the individual.

This way its transparent, efficient (since money transfers between state exchequers), not prone to bribing and easy for the common one, but only if someone could make the bureaucrats think

Bangalore One is authorised to collects the Road tax in bangalore, I dont know if thay can calculate and accept the application forms too.
I fully agree with your proposal. Bit it's not going to work in INDIA !
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2007, 14:40   #33
BHPian

Default Road tax in Bangalore for outstation car

I am adding to an old thread (thought its better than starting a thread when the subject was similar).

Can anybody guide me with the road-tax in Bangalore? I have an Opel Corsa 1.6 GSI registered in UP (Noida) in August 2002. I have brought it to Bangalore recently. I went to the transport authority in Jayanagar today to enquire and pay the road tax. One of the "superintendent" at the counter told me that the tax amount would be 12% of the cost of the car (Rs.5,24,900/-) which was Rs.63.513/- and asked me to fill 3 forms (form 14, form 27 and form 33). I went bak to check with the "superintendent" on the forms as all of them were in Kannada (which I am lay in). Now there was another "superintendent" and he did some other calculation and came up with a figure of Rs.43,824/-. I got tempted to return a couple of more times if it reduced the tax amount by 20K each time.

I decided to check with another friend who had moved in from Delhi and had paid the road tax for his Daewoo Cielo which was also over 5 years old. He had paid Rs.13,500/- at the same place (Jayanagar transport authority) in the beinning of 2007. Now I am perplexed on how can such a huge difference in the tax amounts.

Would request help from fellow BHP-ians on this, if there is a format for the tax calculation.
ShaKo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 11:39   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaKo View Post
*Would request help from fellow BHP-ians on this, if there is a format for the tax calculation.
It would cost Rs 34000Tax rate is here

New Page 1

You pay 0.64 (dep value) X 10% X original invoice value (hope you still have it)My suggestion - go to AASI (Automobile Association of Southern India - AASI) in House of Lords St Marks Road (305) and enroll as a member for Rs 3500 and let them sort it out.

Last edited by ajmat : 2nd January 2008 at 11:40.
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 12:18   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Not sure how this evades the RTO chaps and police, most of them use Kannada script for their daily official reports.
The problem is with Kannada numerals. Acording to an old survey by TOI, 70% of the traffic cops cant read them as they are not taught in most schools!
appuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 12:20   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post

Wish dreams were atleast "donkeys"

If things like transferring a PF account from one state to another takes more than 3 years in India, how do you think RTOs will make life easier for vehicles.
appuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 14:59   #37
Senior - BHPian

You dont get harassed then, just carry your receipt of balance tax paid and transfer application.

OT, anyways in a PF account you still get your interest no matter how much time it takes, unless you want to withdraw it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
Wish dreams were atleast "donkeys"

If things like transferring a PF account from one state to another takes more than 3 years in India, how do you think RTOs will make life easier for vehicles.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote