Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 25th September 2007, 15:20   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Cool, was planning to get a VAIO..It comes with a BD Rom right? and how much is a PS3? (forgive my ignorance!)
depends which model. the ps3 costs about 35k.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 15:28   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Cool, was planning to get a VAIO..It comes with a BD Rom right? and how much is a PS3? (forgive my ignorance!)

Not sure if Viao has a BR-Rom compatability. I wont be surprised if it has since Sony Playstation 3 has it, both coming from same stable. PS3 is a double edged sword, you can play high def games on it and play bd-rom movies as well. It currently retails for $500 ( 20K) in US.

I am getting one in November and keeping my fingers crossed that it should drop much more by then
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 15:34   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
1 question. Can the DVD player that plays DivX files play Xvid HD videos ?
Do you mean high definition videos? No way, Divx compatible dvd's are only for that particular format. To play high definition movies like Blue-Ray or HD-DVD's you will need a DVD player that is compatible to play them. Samsung and Panasonic released such DVD players and they are 40K+

Whereas, PS3 can play Blu-Ray DVD's and you can convert the games that you play on PS3 into high definition via. a HDMI cable
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 17:17   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Not sure if Viao has a BR-Rom compatability. I wont be surprised if it has since Sony Playstation 3 has it, both coming from same stable. PS3 is a double edged sword, you can play high def games on it and play bd-rom movies as well. It currently retails for $500 ( 20K) in US.

I am getting one in November and keeping my fingers crossed that it should drop much more by then

I remember the BR-Rom was first released with the VAIO. Hmm, anyways, will check it out. Oh I am pretty sure the price of PS3 will come down. I just wish all these grey market people start bringing in some nice HD/BR DVDs (Please dont kill me for supporing piracy! )
HellwratH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 17:22   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Do you mean high definition videos? No way, Divx compatible dvd's are only for that particular format. To play high definition movies like Blue-Ray or HD-DVD's you will need a DVD player that is compatible to play them. Samsung and Panasonic released such DVD players and they are 40K+

Whereas, PS3 can play Blu-Ray DVD's and you can convert the games that you play on PS3 into high definition via. a HDMI cable
Well ya I meant HD videos which are encoded into DivX or Xvid. Ok one more question can a dvd player that supports simple Divx (not HD) play a Xvid File ?
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 19:38   #21
Senior - BHPian

^^Depends on the player again... most new ones based on the mediatek chipset do. Certain old ones wont do xvids with GMC/QPEL encoding.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 22:40   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah the top end models come with Bluray Rom. Check out the Vaio VGN AR49G. Sony India : VGN-AR49G (VGNAR49G) : Details

PS3 is retailing at around 34-35K right now.

Quote:
1 question. Can the DVD player that plays DivX files play Xvid HD videos ?
You'l have to check that with the manufacturer. But even if it was capable of playing HD Vids, you'd still need an HDMI or Component Cable for the HD data to reach your television. Regular S Video and Composite (yellow, red, white) cables can only support upto 480p.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote