Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2007, 11:19   #76
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Cochin
Posts: 334
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

In cochin it should be Tandav in lemeridian..
Then there is Loungivety in Avenue regent..
Formula 1 bar , now its shut down i guess...
Mermaid in vytilla is another option..

Dont think there are any other alternatives..
kphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2007, 12:02   #77
Senior - BHPian
 
Bass&Trouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,742
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
i havent been to any other place since 6 months but china house. it is the best place to be. every night there rules.
Never understood what the big deal about the place is. Its a neat place, no doubt, and the biggest advantage is that stays open till late and hence there's no need to pub-hop and risk getting caught for drink and drive - one can go home after the cops are fast asleep. But its outrageously expensive and although the DJs are good, the sound is absolute bollocks. In fact its the crappiest system I've heard in a 'happening' place.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2007, 14:02   #78
Senior - BHPian
 
X-Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Mumbai/Tokyo
Posts: 1,476
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Never understood what the big deal about the place is. Its a neat place, no doubt, and the biggest advantage is that stays open till late and hence there's no need to pub-hop and risk getting caught for drink and drive - one can go home after the cops are fast asleep. But its outrageously expensive and although the DJs are good, the sound is absolute bollocks. In fact its the crappiest system I've heard in a 'happening' place.
I second that. Its just too damn over-hyped. I only head to China House if there are no options after 2am, when other clubs are shutting down. That, i would say is its only advantage.

X
X-Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 18:00   #79
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 46,577
Thanked: 80,477 Times
Default

The Blue Frog at Parel is a great place for weekend nights. The music is far out, with live performances whenever I have gone there, even for trance! Apparently, there aren't any time limits either and 2:00 - 3:00 a.m. closing times are regular. Only downside is the pricing.....more like 700 bucks for regular indian spirits like Bacardi, Smirnoff etc.

Must visit.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 16:40   #80
Senior - BHPian
 
Bass&Trouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,742
Thanked: 65 Times
Thumbs down Robbed Blind

After nearly 6 months, me and 3 other friends decided to visit Enigma again. It has been completely off the radar for a long while now. We had 2 drinks each; Vodka + Red Bull, Vodka + Diet Coke and Corona beers (they sell no other beer in the members section). At the end of it all, I was shocked out of my wits to be handed a bill for Rs. 12000!!!!!!!

The explanation was that they have recently revised the bar rates. So a vodka stands at Rs. 1000+ change, and a Corona pint is Rs. 500. All mixers are ++.

Except for some mindless janta music from DJ Akhtar, the night was absolutely pathetic in terms of crowd and conduct. A couple of drunk blokes were chucking water bottles into the DJ booth!

Enigma is way beyond its glorious days when stars used to flock in, and Baby B could be spotted doing a jig on the sofas. In the current sorry state, I see no justification in paying these ridiculous prices for alcohol. I for one will never head there anymore.

Last edited by Bass&Trouble : 28th July 2008 at 16:41.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 16:54   #81
BHPian
 
PhrozenFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 267
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
The explanation was that they have recently revised the bar rates. So a vodka stands at Rs. 1000+ change, and a Corona pint is Rs. 500. All mixers are ++.
Huh?? Which vodka were you drinking?? I remember going to Enigma in its heydey, around Sep-Oct '06 I think, and was totally blown away by the prices. The most expensive I have ever seen in any place in India.
PhrozenFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 16:58   #82
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,136
Thanked: 1,563 Times
Default

Have not seen the insides of a disco for years, since the time when HFO (Hell Freezes Over) at QualityInn Aruna and the discos at AmbassadorPallava and ApolloSindoori used to rule the roost. Like rjstyles, esteem_lover etc, nowadays prefer to down my drinks at home or with tbhp-ians at somebody's pad.

Anyway, the latest in Chennai is OPM at the Accord Metropolitan. Anyone been there ? Its touted as the "New Age Night Club", whatever that is supposed to mean.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 28th July 2008 at 17:00.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 17:26   #83
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 46,577
Thanked: 80,477 Times
Default

They seem to have picked up a thing or two from China House, another ridiculously expensive place to drink.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 17:37   #84
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,521
Thanked: 7,202 Times
Default

Touch is the only club that i frequent most often and is one of the best in Hyderabad. It is best on a saturday night where the crowd is really hip and happening. Hyderabad's best of the best is there and half of the tollywood film stars can be seen and rubbed shoulders with ( literally) on a saturday night.

However, the timings are pathetic, it is empty at 930pm and full by 10pm ( you can only see heads and need to hold your drink high and gulp it down precariously) and winds up by exactly 12 AM.

The music is quite good and they play mostly house music and it used to be owned by telugu film star ( Nagarjuna) and the drinks are a bit steep by Hyderabad standards, 1500 bucks cover charge for a couple. Bud Pint is about 200 bucks and forget about ordering any snacks unless you want to hold the plate all the while ( no place to keep the plate down).

One thing i noticed that there is absolutely minimal seating place and is reserved only for the film directors, their girlfriends and separate cabins are lapped up by the hot telugu film stars. I must have seen 90% of the filmi crowd here under one roof.

It's an awesome place to be on a saturday night. Their music system is second best ( i like Firangi Paani's music sytem better) And, yes how can i complete by not taking about cars. I hardly see anybody coming in a regular car. ~75% of the people turn up in imported cars ( X5, Audi's, BMW's, VW Touregs, SLK etc)
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 15:38   #85
Senior - BHPian
 
Bass&Trouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,742
Thanked: 65 Times
Thumbs up Armin Van Buuren @ Hard Rock Cafe, Mumbai

Two of my best brands, i.e. Poison and Smirnoff got down Armin Van Buuren to Hard Rock Cafe for what has been a thrilling clubbing experience for a long time now.

The original gig was to happen at Poison, but since its temporarily shut, they moved it to Hard Rock. Since HR is much smaller than Kamala Mills - the usual venue for international club acts - it was full wayy before Armin hit the decks, i.e. at 11 pm to a loud and rioutous crowd chanting "Armin Armin".

He played an absolutely stomping set, and thankfully I was conscious through all of it. Truly splendid music, mixed to perfection. And some able assistance from Nikhil Chinappa on the mic during the long breaks, which is usually a downer sometimes with Indian crowds.

After wrapping up at Bling, the party continued at Bling, and Armin took to the decks there too. Its amazing to have a DJ as huge as AvB, playing in such a small place to a crowd not over 100-150 till very early in the morning. Hence yes, I have just woken up and made this post.

AvB has apparently been voted the best DJ in the world for the second year consecutively, and with very good reason!
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 16:28   #86
BHPian
 
anantnehru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 446
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Yup, he's playing this Saturday at Delhi. IndoChine.
anantnehru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 16:30   #87
Senior - BHPian
 
X-Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Mumbai/Tokyo
Posts: 1,476
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
After wrapping up at Bling, the party continued at Bling, and Armin took to the decks there too.
And you still seem in high spirits.
Yep. AVB is unarguably the best. Ive been to his live performance at Velfarre in Japan last year. Needless to say, he stomped everything and everyone.
But personally if its LIVE, I'd prefer PVD or Oakenfold.
X-Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 16:48   #88
Senior - BHPian
 
Bass&Trouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,742
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Machine View Post
And you still seem in high spirits.
He he. Yes. Once again, thank you Smirnoff!
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 17:09   #89
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sahil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,140
Thanked: 1,901 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Two of my best brands, i.e. Poison and Smirnoff got down Armin Van Buuren to Hard Rock Cafe for what has been a thrilling clubbing experience for a long time now.

The original gig was to happen at Poison, but since its temporarily shut, they moved it to Hard Rock. Since HR is much smaller than Kamala Mills - the usual venue for international club acts - it was full wayy before Armin hit the decks, i.e. at 11 pm to a loud and rioutous crowd chanting "Armin Armin".

He played an absolutely stomping set, and thankfully I was conscious through all of it. Truly splendid music, mixed to perfection. And some able assistance from Nikhil Chinappa on the mic during the long breaks, which is usually a downer sometimes with Indian crowds.

After wrapping up at Bling, the party continued at Bling, and Armin took to the decks there too. Its amazing to have a DJ as huge as AvB, playing in such a small place to a crowd not over 100-150 till very early in the morning. Hence yes, I have just woken up and made this post.

AvB has apparently been voted the best DJ in the world for the second year consecutively, and with very good reason!
Damn, seems like a smashing night....Wish they had it on the weekend, i wouldn't have missed it. It's good that they continued at Bling(although i am not too fond of the place, but with him playing till 5am anythings good), it sure must have been a heavy night for a weekday!
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 13:55   #90
Senior - BHPian
 
Bass&Trouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,742
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

Some pics from aforesaid event's post party. cheers:
Attached Thumbnails
The NightClub / Disco Thread-dsc00576.jpg  

The NightClub / Disco Thread-dsc00580.jpg  

The NightClub / Disco Thread-dsc00592.jpg  

Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Range Rover Sports and Disco 3 in India!! Maverick5490 Super-Cars & Imports in India 67 15th January 2013 12:59
Good Disco in Chennai xingamazon Shifting gears 59 11th May 2011 16:26


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:54.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks