Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 5th October 2007, 09:42   #1
BHPian

Default Of Music and More..

Purpose: There have been just too many bands and great albums around since the 1950's. It is virtually impossible for one to know about them all. Most of us know about the big and famous bands viz. The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Flyod, Henrdix Expereince, The Doors, The Who, Nirvana, G&R etc. The purpose of this thread is to spread news about lesser known but good music. Would really appreciate if we put a star rating on the albums that we list down and genre.

Disclaimer:
  1. I have no clue whether this is the right place to start this thread. I hope it is but if it is not - Mods please take any action on the thread you deem correct.
  2. Some of the bands discussed may be well known but forgotten. For example King Crimson is a band that is well known to people (excuse my insolence) a generation older to me but not to many in my generation. Hence I would rather say it is a lesser known band with some great music.
  3. Please do not ask for/post any download links for the music we discuss here. The purpose is only to enlighten people about the bands - if based on the posters description- you like the band, please go ahead and buy it.
Now, if this thread is not deleted by a Mod in the next hour or so I will put up my first album selection
thefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2007, 09:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

Good thread

From experience, finding good music is tough without pooling of knowledge. I'll also contribute when I can sit down in peace
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2007, 10:42   #3
BHPian

Band/Artist: Hazmat Modine
Album: Bahamut

To be very true I had never heard this fella ever before or ever heard about this fella for that matter. Just out of sheer curiosity I picked up ths album and what a discovery it was for me. The band is described on wikipedia as an eclectic blues band.

The album is lively and vocals driven and in a vague manner happy. The music is interesting. It is old traditional music mixed with something new.

Extremely fascinating. A must have.

Rating: Five stars.
Old 5th October 2007, 11:13   #4
BANNED

Great thread man! Ek dum jhakaas item re! Now, looking forward for a 5 star rating.
I think you've started it in the right section. And if taken forward carefully, will be worth made a sticky.

I will definitely recommend the Greek goddess of music, Anna Vissi. All her albums have captured my mind. Den Me Agapas takes the 5 star rating though.
Her music has good vocals mixed with traditional and contemporary instruments and ballads joining in to make very good listening.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2007, 11:43   #5
BHPian

Artist: Al Stewart
Albums: Chronicles and 24 Carrots

Here is an artist of exemplary capabilities if you like vocals led soft rock numbers. His voice is awesome and the music back his vocals is so lively that you have to tap your feet and you will be compelled to smile. I have introduced many to this artist and am yet to find a person who has not immediately said "I like this!".

Chronicles is one extraordinary album (kinda best of Al Stewart type) with the song Year of the Cat standing out. Other songs (Soho, Needless to Say et al) are great too. Recommendation: Buy it, borrow it or steal it but definitely have it.

Rating: Five Stars.

24 Carrots is good too. Running Man/Indian Summer stand out. All in all this is an album that is worth having. None of the tracks from this album is present in Chronicles (the other mentioned album) as the it was released before 24 Carrots [Imagine releasing the Best of a guy when he is mid way through his career ]. Recommendation: Get it if you see it.

Rating: Four stars (are we allowed halfs?? then four and a half )
Old 5th October 2007, 13:52   #6
BHPian

hi members even put up what genres they belong to
yogi1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2007, 14:12   #7
BHPian

Yep sorry!!

For some reason I am unable to edit the posts here.

Hazmat Modine: Blues - (with a tinge of jazz)
Al Stewart - Rock/Pop
Old 5th October 2007, 14:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreak View Post
Hazmat Modine: Blues - (with a tinge of jazz)
Ahhhhhhh... My kind of music. Lemme see if I can find this. Thanks
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2007, 20:07   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I like the Solo albums from Roger Waters. Some of them which i have are:

1. The Pro's and Con's of hitch hiking

2. Amused to Death

3. Flickering Flame
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2007, 00:47   #10
BHPian

I haven't heard the other two but Amused to Death surely is a good album.

Now for some music to make you all go calypso.

Band: Talbot Brothers
Album: Calypsos

With lyrics like ".. I will run like a son of a gun..." (song Atomic Nightmare) this is one heck of a funny album. It is the usual Calypso stuff. You cannot disengage yourself once you listen to it. Lovely songs.

I insist that if there is anyone of you out there who has not tried Calypso music let this be your first album and I am sure you will never ever regret. Calypso music has that uncanny knack of actually giving you the feel of sitting next to a beach under shade with someone strumming along as you enjoy the cocktails.

Rating: 5 stars.
Old 9th October 2007, 09:55   #11
BHPian

It is time to Jazz!

Album: Apocalypse
Artist: Mahavishnu Orchestra

John McLaughin led Mahavishnu orchestra was a collection of virtusos. This is the album in which the Mahavishnu orchestra was expanded and Jean Luc Ponty was added to the group. What a collection of musicians this! If I remember correctly this is the band in which Pandit Ravi Shankar played to. I am not sure about this though.

This is an inspiring Jazz album and any Jazz afficando would already be aware of the capabilities of the Mahavishnu Orchestra. For those who want to start out on a Jazz journey here is a group and an album you should begin with. Hymn to Him is a standout and Mclaughin and Ponty actually show their considerable talents in detail in this number.

Very Highly Recommended.

Rating: 5 stars
Old 19th October 2007, 12:45   #12
BHPian

Jazz again and Mahavishnu Orchestra again

Album: Birds of fire

Man! Mindblowing album for those who like the interplay between different organs. A special word of mention to the title track and One world. Magnificient solos by three geniuses. Cobham on the the drums, McLaughin on the guitar and Jan Hummer on the keyboard. If you have never heard or liked Fusion and Jazz music genre pick up this album and you will fall in love with it.

Probably one of the best fusion albums ever.

Disclaimer: Not for people who are interested in the lyrics quotient as there aren't any.
Old 19th October 2007, 12:51   #13
BHPian

Sounds of Silence:

Simon & Garfunkel

Folk Rock/Pop

Simon and Garfunkel was an association that started in primary school when the too appeared together in a school play Alice in Wonderland. The two have been inducted in the Rock and Roll hall of fame along with several other such halls.

This album is quintessential Simon Garfunkel. It has all the best songs fromt the duo (apart from Hazy Shade of winter) and is nice lovely music to listen to.

This is again a must have album and for all people who like lyrics focused songs they should have this album. Sounds of Silence, A Most peculiar man, Richard Cory stand out but once you start playing the album you will not have the heart to rush through any of the songs.

Rating: 5 Stars
Old 19th October 2007, 13:13   #14
BHPian

Thumbs up

Excellent thread . Thanks.

My contribution -

Genre - New-age blues (if there isn't a genre category like it - I take the credit )

Artist - Bliss

Album - Quiet Letters U.S. edition

I'm 28, am and have been in love before. But by god, this album will make the hair stand on the back of your neck and you will wish you were 16 again and with your first love all over again.

Rating - I can't quantify the rating for this one but surely, over and above all and sundry IMHO.

rev_hard
rev_hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2007, 13:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

I miss oldies like 'The game of love' and 'Cindy' by Tony Brent, and 'Abracadabra' by Steve Miller.
vnabhi is online now   Reply With Quote