Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 19th December 2006, 16:53   #16
Senior - BHPian

The update:
I spoke to AASI Bangalore branch and they told me that it is not possible for them to work with KK Nagar RTO office, Chennai to issue a duplicate license for me. I will have to go to Chennai if I have to get a duplicate done.

I have two recourses left:
1. Travel to Chennai and get a duplicate done. But the problem is that I have no idea how long they will take to issue it, and whether they are willing to courier it to my Bangalore address once they issue it, in case it takes more than a day. The person whom I spoke to yesterday was not too helpful either. Moreover, me not being fluent in Tamil did not help the matter any further. Also, I do not know any agent in Chennai whom I can rely on.
2. Get an LLR at Bangalore and get the DL done. But it will be a photo-finish of some sorts. I need to travel to California during the last week of Jan. I am not too sure whether I will be able to get one before traveling. But the long term benefit of this is that in future I do not have to worry about any change in address/NOC/etc. I have a permanent residence at Bangalore and I intend to reside here in near future.

I will have to take a decision in a day or two. Till then, I am driving with the police certificate. I checked with the police and they told me that it is valid.

Evo8, just like you, my wife has a DL (ofcourse, she does not drive ).
deepakhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2006, 18:36   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
The update:
I spoke to AASI Bangalore branch and they told me that it is not possible for them to work with KK Nagar RTO office, Chennai to issue a duplicate license for me. I will have to go to Chennai if I have to get a duplicate done.
What about going to AASI Chennai ? They might help out!
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2006, 18:39   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
What about going to AASI Chennai ? They might help out!
Hmm.. hadn't thought of this idea. I will check with them tomorrow and will see if they can help me out here.
Old 22nd January 2007, 14:41   #19
Senior - BHPian

The update is that I just decided to go the Learner's and Driver's license route. I did my "test" today morning and passed them. My driving school says that I will get the driver's license in 2-3 days, which is well before I leave to US for a short trip. So, looks like it will be fine.

PS: I loathe to call it "test". What they ask you to do is to start the car and go around one of those parks at Jayanagar. I had to do this twice, once for the bike and once for the car. Well, this does not test the driver's ability in any way. I really do not know how they issue licenses...
Old 23rd January 2007, 01:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

off topic,

does US license work in india?
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2007, 03:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

[quote=deepakhon;359599]The update is that I just decided to go the Learner's and Driver's license route.

Now, this is what you call INDIA. I understand that after a lot of fretting and fuming in trying to get a duplicate one issued, you have finally resorted to pose yourself as a learner and apply for a fresh license. Now, theoritically speaking does it mean we have two different license nos issued to the same individual ?

About your driving test, I second your thoughts for in no way can the so called 'test' certify you as a safe driver.
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2007, 07:17   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
off topic,

I do not have a valid US license. That one expired last year. So, I will have to rent a car withIndian license there during my short stay.
Old 23rd January 2007, 07:21   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Now, theoritically speaking does it mean we have two different license nos issued to the same individual ?
Yes. Theoritically, I have two licenses now. But I have an FIR filed against my older one. According to the police, it will be updated in the central database that I have lost my license. I do not know how true all that is though.

On the aside, I saw lots of young guys who had come for three wheeler licenses. The driving school guy was telling one prospective auto driver, "if the inspector asks you your age, you should tell him you are 21, not 17". Now I know how these guys get licenses.
Old 23rd January 2007, 10:52   #24
BHPian

Default u can get provisional

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
off topic,

I think it works for a short while, cant recall how long. If one holds a US license out RTOs give a provisional license without going through LLR, test, etc.. path.

My story is more hilarious. I had a two wheeler license in India. When I relocated from US to Hyderabad I was holding a California license. I made a couple of trips to RTO and fought them quite a bit for address proof, etc... Finally I got a token and reached a counter inside the office to find out I had Light Motor Vehicle license too included in my india license (which I thought should have had only two wheeler license).
The counter clerk told me any license issued based on foreign license is for a few months and need to be renewed (or consolidated) after that.
sreenivass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2007, 11:02   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I do not have a valid US license. That one expired last year. So, I will have to rent a car withIndian license there during my short stay.
I am sorry for this weired reply. It was early in the morning and I just got out of sleep
Old 23rd January 2007, 22:02   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hope you have your IDP too and do remember to carry it. Both your Indian Drivers License and your IDP put together will enable you to rent a car in the US. Check for rental services like Avis, Budget etc. Enterprise car rental does not accept IDP. Hope this helps
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2007, 23:03   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Check for rental services like Avis, Budget etc. Enterprise car rental does not accept IDP. Hope this helps
I think it's the other way. By my experience, when i was in US in 2004, we rented car from Enterprise on Indian IDP and someone told us that only Enterprise accepts IDP.
satish_appasani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2007, 02:31   #28
Senior - BHPian

my brother rents from hertz in MI on IDP.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2007, 11:12   #29
BHPian

Searched for an existing thread for my problem, and this is the closest I got.

I got my DL in 1998 with a validity of 20 years. It has since been residing in my wallet and, needless to say, is in a pretty bad shape. In addition, It was issued by the MP Govt. and has a Bhilai address which we've long moved out of. I'm presently based in Kolkata and was wondering whether it'll be easier to get a new DL issued with my present address or get a duplicate one? How does one go about changing the address on a DL?

tia
Wimwian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 11:46   #30
Senior - BHPian

Default Help!! Lost my driving license! What to do??

Guys, I have lost my driving license. I didn't have a photocopy. What's the procedure for acquiring another one. The license was issued last year at the Sheikh Sarai RTO in South Delhi. Please give me some pointers.
Deeps is offline   Reply With Quote