Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2013, 11:03   #76
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Delhi
Posts: 121
Thanked: 92 Times
Default Re: Driving License Completely Faded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archish View Post
I too lost my license last week and had no photocopies, so dint know the driving license number. There is no way you can get a duplicate, atleast in Chennai. .....
I'm in the same boat, in Delhi. So I can take it that the RTO will definitely have no records of the old license based on my name/ date of birth etc?

Just to clarify I don't have a copy of my license or the license number stored anywhere.

But I do have a copy of a receipt that they give me for my driving license test. So can they track my License based on the data from this receipt? It has my learner's license number, application number and receipt number.

Thanks for the help!
C'estlavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 11:17   #77
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 143
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Driving License Completely Faded

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'estlavie View Post
I'm in the same boat, in Delhi. So I can take it that the RTO will definitely have no records of the old license based on my name/ date of birth etc?

Just to clarify I don't have a copy of my license or the license number stored anywhere.

But I do have a copy of a receipt that they give me for my driving license test. So can they track my License based on the data from this receipt? It has my learner's license number, application number and receipt number.

Thanks for the help!
Even I am in the same boat in Bangalore. I had my license issued in 1993 and its close to 20 years now doubt if my RTO will be able to trace my DL and issue me a new One :(
vinukm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 13:52   #78
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Delhi
Posts: 121
Thanked: 92 Times
Default Re: Driving License Completely Faded

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinukm View Post
Even I am in the same boat in Bangalore. I had my license issued in 1993 and its close to 20 years now doubt if my RTO will be able to trace my DL and issue me a new One :(
Best of luck!

Very quick update, people. Hopefully this will help others.

I a few things; took my learner's receipt details, used good old fashioned 'pull' and managed to have the RTO trace my license details very quickly- even though I did not have a photocopy of my lost license. They even printed the details out for me.

This is in Delhi, and I believe the RECENT records are computerized so with a bit of luck and 'a word from above' you can track down your license details from your local RTO. Did the document I have with me help or can they track down a copy of your license based on just your name? I do not know.

vinukm, you may be in a spot of bother if your license goes back to 1993. I was 'lucky' that my license was issued only 6 months ago (just returned back to India) and the data was probably in the system.

A little more info for other people on the process.

I needed two documents:

One, an NCR which is computerized and signed report given to my by the Police. You WILL need this. The police first tried to fob me off with just a stamp on my written request for an NCR. I took this all the way to the RTO, only to be told that I need the NCR. INSIST on an NCR.

Two, Form LLD, which needs to have details such as date of issue of license, period up to which valid, types of vehicles you can drive (so when you get your license details, insist on getting this data as well, apart from the License Number (this is for those who have lost their licenses and do not have a photocopy).

Please let me know if I can provide more information.
C'estlavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2014, 16:01   #79
BHPian
 
vsk2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Goa
Posts: 156
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: Driving License Lost / Damaged. What to do?

My driving license is from Hyderabad(Hyd). It has validity for some more years. But it is partially damaged. License no is still visible but since it is punched one, it will not appear in photo copy. What is the option for me to get a new license from my current state(Goa)?

1. Can I apply for a new license in Goa and after that can I surrender/cancel the old one?

2. What about taking NOC from Hyd to get a DL from Goa(which is the straight forward way)

3. Can I get a duplicate license without much hurdles from Hyd?

4. Once the Hyd Liscence get expired am I eligible for applying at Goa without making any visit to Hyd RTO?
vsk2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2014, 06:11   #80
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 131
Thanked: 50 Times
Default Re: Driving License Lost / Damaged. What to do?

Any of you gone the Gandhi-ian way of taking out all information from RTO website, downloading forms, filling them up and standing in queues at RTO for issuing licence? Especially at Pune? I am in a fix currently as my old licence has been lost. I have a photocopy but the lost licence was issued from Aurangabad, MH. It would make sense for me to go for a new one now rather than to go all the way to Aurangabad for issuing a new one.

Looking at the difference in fees mentioned on the website and what agents would ask for, I am very tempted to go the Gandhi way on this. Any experiences/suggestions on this?
ameyawaghmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2014, 10:53   #81
BHPian
 
pratyush6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: RNC - BLR
Posts: 470
Thanked: 497 Times
Default Re: Driving License Lost / Damaged. What to do?

Hi Guys,

I have managed to misplace my wallet which included my DL among other things. I most probably dropped it in my work campus - someone actually found my work ID (only) and returned it back.

The DL was issued at my home town of Ranchi. I may be able to locate a copy of it (most likely). What can I do? Registering a FIR/Complaint is a must - but where to do this?

More info - Someone who took all the cash and cards tried to swipe it - but was unsuccessful as I had already blocked my cards.

Any pointers to next steps would be of great help. Thanks.
pratyush6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2014, 11:30   #82
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,091
Thanked: 629 Times
Default Re: Driving License Lost / Damaged. What to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
The DL was issued at my home town of Ranchi. I may be able to locate a copy of it (most likely). What can I do? Registering a FIR/Complaint is a must - but where to do this?
You have to do this at your current jurisdictional police station. So if it was lost in your office premises, then the police station under whose jurisdiction your office premises come under. But, I don't think the police would file an FIR (which means they need to investigate the theft). Instead they would give a receipt for your complaint that your license (and credit cards) etc. were lost. This is enough for approaching your Ranchi RTO to get a new license issued.
sachinpk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2014, 17:12   #83
BHPian
 
createrkid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 218
Thanked: 282 Times
Default Re: Driving License Lost / Damaged. What to do?

Sorry mods, couldn't find another thread to post this in. Alright, so this is going to be a pretty noobish question but here it is anyways. So, I got my smart card license finally and looking at it for a mere 5 minutes, it is safe to conclude that the quality if the plastic is terrible and god knows how long it'll last. My question is that, is it necessary to have the original DL with you at all times while driving or can I photocopy it and laminate it and carry it around with me instead? Because I have this fear of misplacing my wallet or the licence itself. There's a chip in the card, so photocopying it will destroy its purpose. Thanks in advance.
createrkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2014, 21:06   #84
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,171
Thanked: 12,724 Times
Default Re: Driving License Lost / Damaged. What to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by createrkid View Post
My question is that, is it necessary to have the original DL with you at all times while driving or can I photocopy it and laminate it and carry it around with me instead? Because I have this fear of misplacing my wallet or the licence itself. There's a chip in the card, so photocopying it will destroy its purpose.
The law does mandate to have it with you always - In Original. This holds good if you drive only one vehicle all the time and not switch vehicles. If it is only one then dump the licence in it and enjoy.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2014, 21:20   #85
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 3,938
Thanked: 9,241 Times
Default Re: Driving License Lost / Damaged. What to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
The law does mandate to have it with you always - In Original. This holds good if you drive only one vehicle all the time and not switch vehicles. If it is only one then dump the licence in it and enjoy.

Anurag.
Ideally, you are supposed to carry Original driving licence all the times. It is never explicitly mentioned that you can carry copy of your Original driving licence.

Hence:
Quote:
It is the duty of every motor vehicle driver to carry the original driving licence at all times and produce the same on demand by a police officer in uniform
It is only because the cops have been supportive so far in letting us go by looking at the photocopies that we safely assume we don't need to carry the originals.

When it comes to licence, original is must. If you are stopped & asked for rest of the documents, & unable to produce the same, as per the law, the cops can collect your licence and there is a time frame given for you to produce the rest of the documents.

However, we usually don't see things working with such levels of precision as per the defined laws in our country!

Last edited by paragsachania : 11th December 2014 at 21:25.
paragsachania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2014, 21:37   #86
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,171
Thanked: 12,724 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Ideally, you are supposed to carry Original driving licence all the times. It is never explicitly mentioned that you can carry copy of your Original driving licence.
That's what I said in my post buddy.

Best practice is to have the documents in original to avoid any hassle.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2014, 08:48   #87
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 3,938
Thanked: 9,241 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
That's what I said in my post buddy.

Best practice is to have the documents in original to avoid any hassle.

Anurag.
I am only supporting your statement with a reference to what the law says and mentioning how carrying Photocopies has evolved as a practice as they are accepted too!
paragsachania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2014, 09:46   #88
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,091
Thanked: 629 Times
Default Re: Driving License Lost / Damaged. What to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
It is only because the cops have been supportive so far in letting us go by looking at the photocopies that we safely assume we don't need to carry the originals.

When it comes to licence, original is must. If you are stopped & asked for rest of the documents, & unable to produce the same, as per the law, the cops can collect your licence and there is a time frame given for you to produce the rest of the documents.
Long time back (in mid 1990s) I had asked this question to a TV programme which was focusing on the "Crime & Police" kind of issues. Their legal expert had clearly said that carrying original DL is mandatory as per the law. The other documents need not be carried, but has to be produced to the police officer within a stipulated time frame. So when driving down from Bengaluru to Kerala, if I get caught by the Traffic Police at Salem, he can seize my license and ask me to produce the other documents to him. So there, I have to return to Bangalore collect the documents and meet the officer.

A Traffic Sub Inspector in my town (now retired) had said that they allow photo copies, because they know the difficulties in carrying the original DL. In those days it was a small book let, which would get destroyed pretty soon. So people used to keep "attested photo copies" etc. Attestation does not have any value, it is purely because the police did not bother much.
sachinpk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2014, 00:21   #89
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 442
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: Driving License Lost / Damaged. What to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by createrkid View Post
Sorry mods, couldn't find another thread to post this in. Alright, so this is going to be a pretty noobish question but here it is anyways. So, I got my smart card license finally and looking at it for a mere 5 minutes, it is safe to conclude that the quality if the plastic is terrible and god knows how long it'll last. My question is that, is it necessary to have the original DL with you at all times while driving or can I photocopy it and laminate it and carry it around with me instead? Because I have this fear of misplacing my wallet or the licence itself. There's a chip in the card, so photocopying it will destroy its purpose. Thanks in advance.
The current smart card is a lot more durable than the previous one.

Having said that, please ensure that you take good care of it. My previous license was so badly abraded just by sitting in my wallet that I decided to get a duplicate one. To do so I went to Koramangala RTO where they said they cannot make out anything on my license and asked me to get a DL record from Indira Nagar RTO where it was issued. That wasted almost 2 days of my time as I had to go there once to place a request and a week or so later to collect the DL record which they eventually ended up making on the spot. With all these and my current address proof, I applied in Koramangala RTO which again took half a day.

The common practice of many car owners in Bangalore is to go around with photocopies of all documents including DL and to proffer those if asked while leaving all the original documents in the glove box. This is because Bangalore cops have a tendency to hold on to the license to make you wait for a long time hoping that you will pay your way out of a situation.
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2014, 13:55   #90
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,091
Thanked: 629 Times
Default Re: Driving License Lost / Damaged. What to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
The common practice of many car owners in Bangalore is to go around with photocopies of all documents including DL and to proffer those if asked while leaving all the original documents in the glove box.
As per the law (or the books) original DL has to be carried. The other documents has to be produced before the officer within 15 days. But till then the officer can seize your license (and give you a receipt). Please note that in Bangalore, the Traffic Police is now on an over-drive to seize the licenses and send it to the RTO for suspension. This is even for comparatively minor offences like wrong parking. So ASIs, SIs, CIs etc. have been clearly told to seize the licenses, rather than just collecting a minor fine of Rs.100/-.

And the chip in the DL . I have never seen that getting used. The police also do not have any "readers" which can read (or write) data in the chip.

Quote:
This is because Bangalore cops have a tendency to hold on to the license to make you wait for a long time hoping that you will pay your way out of a situation.
A police officer in uniform can ask for your license and it has to be given. So they are not doing any thing wrong here.
sachinpk is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The International Driving License (IDL) / International Driving Permit (IDP) Thread amitoj Route / Travel Queries 459 17th August 2017 18:30
How to convert a foreign license to indian license gautamkhadse The Indian Car Scene 19 9th June 2017 21:53
Lost My License - Any Suggestions? prateekm Shifting gears 14 29th July 2011 19:25
Lost my driving licence. Then got a challan for rash driving! DNM Street Experiences 36 2nd March 2011 16:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:00.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks