Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 30th October 2007, 11:12   #16
BHPian

The issue is that what happens if the vendor refuses to make a reciept for the additional amount. If you try and haggle they just might tell you to go and get cash. What is the alternative in this case?
thefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2007, 13:00   #17
BHPian

I faced a different sort of problem when I paid up for my Swift repairt at a MASS in Panvel. This MASS had an attached petrol bunk attached with it and the POS Credit Card terminal was attached to the petrol bunk. When I attempted to use my ICICI card for the amount of Rs. 20,000 the transaction was not approved by ICICI (later found out that as it was a Petrol pump Point of sale they dont approve anything more than Rs. 3000 there). Then I used my Citibank card. When the card statement came was shocked to find that they had charged about 700 rs. extra. Nothing came out of the subsequent correspondence except that the charges were applicable for sales across petrol pumps.
emkay456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2007, 13:45   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
I faced a different sort of problem when I paid up for my Swift repairt at a MASS in Panvel. This MASS had an attached petrol bunk attached with it and the POS Credit Card terminal was attached to the petrol bunk. When I attempted to use my ICICI card for the amount of Rs. 20,000 the transaction was not approved by ICICI (later found out that as it was a Petrol pump Point of sale they dont approve anything more than Rs. 3000 there). Then I used my Citibank card. When the card statement came was shocked to find that they had charged about 700 rs. extra. Nothing came out of the subsequent correspondence except that the charges were applicable for sales across petrol pumps.
There are certain legal surcharges that are charged as an independent service fee when you purchase gasoline or services from a Petrol pump.
These are legal charges and reflect quite clearly on your monthly statement.
While the gas station does not charge it directly to you, it reflects on your statement independently. So for example you could fill Rs.1000/- diesel and sign a chargeslip for Rs.1000 and receive a surcharge of Rs. 20 (for example).

The government has made this provision owing to the controlled prices of gasoline and the wafer thin margins.
However there are certain credit cards (Certain gold/titanium credit cards) where the charges are refunded to you in every statement.

Also cards in association with HP and BP (HP-ICICI etc) have no surcharge on gasoline.

Since I always use my card at gas stations, I make it a point to have one without any surcharge and use this card only for my gasoline expenses.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote