Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2007, 11:50   #1
BHPian
 
manaa45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: nerul, navi mumbai
Posts: 344
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Pls help - gmail account being misused

dear friends

i am facing a huge problem and i dont know whom to ask.share with so i thought why not take help of friends here in this forum.

i had, for a noble cause registered with a blood donation website and they put all my contact nos and everything on the website and it is clearly visible to all if anybody searches for my name in search engine.

i updated my profile but it is still seen on the google.

this is my first problem, my second problem is that i have started to get nuisance messages/calls on my cell phone may be because of this. first i got a message from some unknowm person from pune but i refused to acknowledge.

then today morning i get an call on my cell again but there is no number seen from where the call has come, that person asks wheter i have sent any email of microsoft to him and he says that there is an email circulating all over with all my contact details and it is from my email address. he said that he was calling from bahrain

i dont know how this has happened but i am **** scared and damn worried.

i dont know any thing more but i want to know how should i close my gmail account and what should i do to stop this from spreading further.

i really need help and i am sure there might be poeple who can help me.

Mansi
manaa45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 11:58   #2
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11,724
Thanked: 9,036 Times
Default

Mansi
At the top right hand corner of your gmail account - is a link for help. Search there and you will find a link to report abuse.

I suggest you change your password immediately. Quite possible that your account may not be misused but your email has been given out.
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 11:58   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
snaronikar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,845
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

First step is change the address to some other dummy address/phone no. this will avoid further circulating of your email address and phone no. Do this immly.

For second part, just contact any IT expert in your company (if you are working) or friends. There is a way out as my brother was indicating. Some IT guys (techies) in this forum might be able to help you out.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 11:59   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,652
Thanked: 242 Times
Default

Firstly, report it to google and request for removal of that information using this page.

Secondly, if you can change your mobile number, its advisable, otherwise just shut it down for 2-3 weeks and use a temporary number instead.

Thirdly, if you have that mail in circulation, open up a fictitous new email account and send a mail to that mailing list, you need to collect from the mail trail from beginning of the mail and send with message like, the details no longer work, dont waste your time etc etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaa45 View Post
dear friends

i am facing a huge problem and i dont know whom to ask.share with so i thought why not take help of friends here in this forum.

i had, for a noble cause registered with a blood donation website and they put all my contact nos and everything on the website and it is clearly visible to all if anybody searches for my name in search engine.

i updated my profile but it is still seen on the google.

this is my first problem, my second problem is that i have started to get nuisance messages/calls on my cell phone may be because of this. first i got a message from some unknowm person from pune but i refused to acknowledge.

then today morning i get an call on my cell again but there is no number seen from where the call has come, that person asks wheter i have sent any email of microsoft to him and he says that there is an email circulating all over with all my contact details and it is from my email address. he said that he was calling from bahrain

i dont know how this has happened but i am **** scared and damn worried.

i dont know any thing more but i want to know how should i close my gmail account and what should i do to stop this from spreading further.

i really need help and i am sure there might be poeple who can help me.

Mansi
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 11:59   #5
BHPian
 
manaa45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: nerul, navi mumbai
Posts: 344
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

i have already changed my password.

but this is all so scary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Quite possible that your account may not be misused but your email has been given out.
could u pls elaborate on this
manaa45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 12:01   #6
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11,724
Thanked: 9,036 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaa45 View Post

could u pls elaborate on this
Mails may be sent from another email account but will appear to be going from your account
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 12:12   #7
BHPian
 
manaa45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: nerul, navi mumbai
Posts: 344
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Firstly, report it to google and request for removal of that information using this page..
i am trying to do that but the details are put up by some other website, how do i remove that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Secondly, if you can change your mobile number, its advisable, otherwise just shut it down for 2-3 weeks and use a temporary number instead.
i cant change it but i think i can switch it off for a few days. may be buy another no.


Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Thirdly, if you have that mail in circulation, open up a fictitous new email account and send a mail to that mailing list, you need to collect from the mail trail from beginning of the mail and send with message like, the details no longer work, dont waste your time etc etc.
i dont have that circulating mail as yet. i dont know where to find it?
manaa45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 12:16   #8
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,043
Thanked: 13,493 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Mails may be sent from another email account but will appear to be going from your account
True, most people are unaware of this. It is way too easy to send email with a made up sender address. Unless the recipient email server (SMTP) verifies by matching the sender email address and sender email server address, it can't be detected.

But most email servers do not verify this because often legitimate emails are sent from non-matching domain names. For example emails from gmail accounts (@gmail.com) are sent from *.google.com domain. Therefore, any email from gmail would fail this verification.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 12:21   #9
BHPian
 
manaa45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: nerul, navi mumbai
Posts: 344
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

the update- i have changed my password.

i also spoke to cyber crime cell mumbai, they have asked me to visit them with a complain, but i dont know how to find who is the one who is circulating the email, for that matter i dont even know what kind of email it is?

i just have the cell no of one person who was sending messages to me. but i cant pinpoint to him as i am not sure if he has done this.

is there any way i can find that email which is cirulating. i did a mistake by not requesting that bahrain person to send me a copy but he had already scared me by saying that that email was already circulating everywhere.

Mansi
manaa45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 12:42   #10
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 448
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

mansi,
there isnt much that can be done.
There is a free utility called "blat". using this i can send mail to any mail id specifying any mail id in the from field. We use this utility in our applciations to send mails from "siteadmin@xyz.com".

I would suggest:
1. Change your phone number.
2. Create a new mail id.
3. Before anyone picks up more info from orkut, clean it up.Remove all scraps/photos/contact info(that is not already available on the net).

Regards,
amohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 13:00   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
msdivy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,426
Thanked: 771 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaa45 View Post
i had, for a noble cause registered with a blood donation website and they put all my contact nos and everything on the website and it is clearly visible to all if anybody searches for my name in search engine.

i updated my profile but it is still seen on the google.
Once indexed by Google and other search engines, the info shows up during search. You can register at the URL mentioned by dadu but not sure Google will honour that request. If you have changed the profile, it will take few days for the new info to show up (as early as 2 days to few months).
Quote:
this is my first problem, my second problem is that i have started to get nuisance messages/calls on my cell phone may be because of this. first i got a message from some unknowm person from pune but i refused to acknowledge.
Since your cell number appears in the blood donation site, somebody in need might call. If its a nuisance call, you might report it to the cell company & police. If you don't want to receive these calls, you might think of changing your cell number.
Quote:
then today morning i get an call on my cell again but there is no number seen from where the call has come,
Must an international call.
Quote:
i dont know any thing more but i want to know how should i close my gmail account and what should i do to stop this from spreading further.
Why do you suspect your Gmail account? Only you have the password.
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 14:33   #12
BHPian
 
manaa45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: nerul, navi mumbai
Posts: 344
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Must an international cal.

Why do you suspect your Gmail account? Only you have the password.
yes it was an international call, that person said that he was calling from bahrain, but he just asked me that whether had i sent any mail from my email address and was it abt microsoft.

before ending the call he said that that mail was circulating everywhere.

but i still have no clue that what are the contents of the mail.

i cant change my cell no. may be i will just switch it off for a few days.

yes i will try to make a new id.

thks for the help.

Mansi

Last edited by Samurai : 29th October 2007 at 15:05. Reason: hiding email address
manaa45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 14:35   #13
BHPian
 
thefreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 362
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

It is difficult to fathom how changing the password would help unless you have also given out the password somewhere. However no harm changing it.

Secondly: Please do change your phone number etc there and next time onwards never ever give out your number or email address. The sheer volume of junk mails will kill you (it might please you to know that more than 50% of the mail traffic in 2005 was attributed to junk mails).

Thirdly: This is the escapists view of the situation. If it is not too important an account just open another and send out information to all your contacts that you are changing your gmail account. Address books can be transferred between account by downloading as and re-uploading as csv's. IN case you do this just send out a request to Google and ask them to delete your existing account. They will verify hazar things but will comply eventually i guess.

Fourthly: call up the guys on the blood donation agency where you had registerd and blast them off. Tell them to remove your details from teh website in case you are not able to modify them and threaten to lodge a complaint if they are unwilling to comply.

Last edited by thefreak : 29th October 2007 at 14:37.
thefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 14:42   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
nitrous's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: UAE/Lon/Madras
Posts: 6,965
Thanked: 264 Times
Default

Change ur mobile number.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2007, 14:49   #15
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,989
Thanked: 1,383 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaa45 View Post
yes it was an international call, that person said that he was calling from bahrain, but he just asked me that whether had i sent any mail from my email address x.x@gmail.com and was it abt microsoft.
Once again you have made another error. By quoting your entire email address here, you have made sure that search bots will pick up your address and you will receive more spam.

When posting your email address always post it like this

sam(at)team-bhp.com for example and you will prevent the search bots from identifying it as an email address.

Note from Mods: Quoted email has been disguised

Last edited by ajmat : 29th October 2007 at 18:08.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Customer's Q7 being misused by Audi Dealership @ Vakola. Caught by GPS Tracker dkaile Indian Car Dealerships 201 1st December 2012 18:30
Gmail users: Did anyone try any Gmail spam recipies? sandeepmdas Shifting gears 2 19th October 2009 19:40
pls pls wear helmets!!! ns_jughead Street Experiences 35 3rd August 2009 15:05
Got a gmail account _Crazi4Speed_ Shifting gears 20 25th June 2004 00:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:18.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks