Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 5th November 2007, 15:44   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Oh in that case why dont u take a parcel home and leave the smokers alone??common dude..its a smoking zone so people who smoke will smoke..!!
And in that case stop driving your car..people who walk on the road inhale the carbon monxide bla bla which u pollute for no fault of theirs.
Do they ask you to sit at home and not drive while they have a clean enviornment?
I see that my point about following the law more in spirit than in letter was totally lost on you. Well, nevermind... i guess we can forward your case to the study being conducted on the direct relation between smoking and lack of concentration
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2007, 15:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I see that my point about following the law more in spirit than in letter was totally lost on you. Well, nevermind... i guess we can forward your case to the study being conducted on the direct relation between smoking and lack of concentration
Well have it your way.I get your point about being in spirit.But as i said earlier people who smoke and people who dont will have a different viewpoint about this which is quite visible from the posts in this thread.
You can forward my case anywhere.DAD HAI NA bachane ke liye just kiddin.
PEACE
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2007, 15:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
What if the restaurant serves good speciality food?
I tell you, some of the best foods are served in the bars & T-BHP meets.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2007, 16:08   #19
BHPian

Nothing personal but . . .

Let me clear one aspect here.
At Haka's the enclosed area is the bar and owned by the restaurant.
The so called 'outside' section or 'open public place' is not really so.
It is actually a fenced off area WITHIN a common seating area shared by the customers of a lot of other adjoining food vendors - basically a food court.
Which implies that it is also airconditioned and is the 'INSIDE' area of the mall where u cannot smoke.

I've been to this restaurant a few times and considering that the 'outside' and 'inside' areas of the restaurant are identical with the same seating, air conditioning and food, I do not see why u had an objection to sitting in the no-smoking area which in fact has almost thrice the capacity as compared to the enclosed smoking zone.
bikefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2007, 16:33   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikefreak View Post
I've been to this restaurant a few times and considering that the 'outside' and 'inside' areas of the restaurant are identical with the same seating, air conditioning and food, I do not see why u had an objection to sitting in the no-smoking area which in fact has almost thrice the capacity as compared to the enclosed smoking zone.
The outside is not airconditioned by Haka but by the central a/c of the mall which isn't as comfortable as the more cool interiors. I agree about the seating and food.

My objection to not sitting in the so called non-smoking area was because of the stubborness of the staff who flatly refused to request the smoker to stop smoking as it was uncomfortable to us. Mind you, globally, smokers have to adjust to non-smokers and it is well accepted by even smokers that they have to adjust to non-smokers. It's only in India where everything is taken personally. Also, since the management refuses to ask smokers to stop, it's their job to clearly demark and separate out smoking and non-smoking areas.

The question still remains. On what basis are bars assumed to be smoking areas? If the law is silent about not smoking in bars then can it be assumed that you are legally allowed to smoke? And if a bar is a smoking area, then shouldn't there be separate smoking and non-smoking zones? Can any lawyer or a member well versed with laws help out by spelling out what the law, if any, says about smoking in public places? Also, another assumption seems to be that people in bars will smoke. Well there are non-smokers who drink as well.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2007, 16:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

The BMC rules state that you have to have a seperate smoking and non smoking area in a restaurant. The non smokers shouldnt have to pass through the smoking area to get to their tables and shouldnt be able to smell the smoke at their tables. Now Haka can say that they are following the rules by having a non smoking area outside. Also im not sure if Vashi comes under the BMC jurisdiction
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2007, 16:24   #22
BHPian

Talking

Quote:
And in that case stop driving your car..people who walk on the road inhale the carbon monxide bla bla which u pollute for no fault of theirs. Do they ask you to sit at home and not drive while they have a clean environment?
Touché ! I'm a non-smoker myself, but your point is extremely valid. It's going to take quite a number of smokers puffing away to compete with the cars we drive - He He He !
im_srini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2007, 16:29   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And in that case stop driving your car..people who walk on the road inhale the carbon monxide bla bla which u pollute for no fault of theirs.
Do they ask you to sit at home and not drive while they have a clean enviornment?
Are you really saying that someone walking on the streets is as affected by the smoke comming from a car zooming past you?

Smoking especially while having eating is really irritating and is banned in most places around the world including India. Its the restaurants fault for not designing a seperate smoking zone.
Old 21st November 2007, 16:39   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Are you really saying that someone walking on the streets is as affected by the smoke comming from a car zooming past you?

Smoking especially while having eating is really irritating and is banned in most places around the world including India. Its the restaurants fault for not designing a seperate smoking zone.
While zooming the car stops polluting kya?
In amits case the hotel did have a smoking and no smoking zone as someone pointed out.But the smoking zone was in a area which was cooled by the restaurants ac and not the central ac of the mall and hence was more comfortable than the central ac one.
So that clearly proves that they do have a smoking and non smoking zone and if u still insist on sitting in the smoking zone when u know its a smoking zone and u cannot tolerate smoke u really cant blame anyone can u?

Amit@ nothing personal buddy but tell me how many people drink and dont smoke?or how many people drink and have a problem with someone smoking around them?the numbers are very very very less.
I agree to your point that there are people who drink but dont smoke.But but how many of them have a problem with anyone smoking around them?almost nil.

Last edited by humyum : 21st November 2007 at 16:43.
Old 21st November 2007, 16:41   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While zooming the car stops polluting kya?
But its not around you for more than a second naa.
Old 21st November 2007, 16:51   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
But its not around you for more than a second naa.
In mumbai traffic it is way way more than a second and on the highways people dont care if its u me or a tata 407 blowing out smoke.Anway we ll get warned by the mods if we continue this way
Old 21st November 2007, 17:03   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In mumbai traffic it is way way more than a second and on the highways people dont care if its u me or a tata 407 blowing out smoke.Anway we ll get warned by the mods if we continue this way
Unless your walking in the middle of the road between traffic it isnt all that bad. When your on the sidewalk your still a couple of feet away from the smoke and its still an open environment. If you had to eat your meal in an enclosed garage with someone revving the 407 Id agree that it would be worse.

Last edited by khanak : 21st November 2007 at 17:21.
Old 21st November 2007, 17:29   #28
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Well well i feel the smoking section and the non smoking one should be strictly adhered to in restos. I do smoke but make it a point not to in a place where only food is served. But if it is a place where you get liquor too then i cant resist. What i have observed is that the best food is at places where they serve drinks too and i really pity the non smoker for this

Was reading an article about a ban of smoking in public places being put in Italy and the way people reacted to it. The public dont want to follow this rule and guess it will be another Law down the drain.
Smoking is Really INJURIOUS to Health(Passive smoking is worse)
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2007, 17:42   #29
BHPian

Thumbs up

Amit, Being a non-smoker, I completely understand your plight. More so bcos of the wifey who is hyper-sensitive (she throws up on inhaling direct ciggy smoke).

All said & done, couple of pointers

1. Abroad its a different issue. People follow rules and are also sensitive to non-smokers(usually). You cant expect our desi bhai-log to adhere to rules & regulations.

2. Most of the decent / half decent restaurants will be having a non-smoking area. In the future you can consider asking for the same & stay out of the bad world. (In Bangalore we usually reserve a table, to be on the safer side)

3. Practically speaking these bars/restaurants make a ton of money from big group of guys who are drinking & smoking. There is no way the waiters are gonna piss them off by asking them not to smoke (if they are regular customers)

4. Instead of depending the waiters to do the deed, you can try requesting yourself. Believe me, a gentle & kind request always works.

5. In common areas, where people come to enjoy.....invariably smoking becomes enjoyment to some people. I don't think we should really impose ourselves.

If we cant beat them, Lets not join them.
eclectix 1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2007, 18:18   #30
BHPian

Dude,
When you visit restaurants/bars/pubs that have a Smoking and a No Smoking Zone. Keep this in mind
This is the restaurants idea of a no smoking zone

If you are fine with that enter, Otherwise simply go to some other place
Fillmore is offline   Reply With Quote