Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2007, 18:29   #31
Senior - BHPian
 
BUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,130
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Amit, Yes Haka is part of the Mainland china group.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2007, 03:40   #32
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 142
Thanked: 46 Times
Default

Well it seems that the smokers are being rubbished here..... you can say that they have a habit which is not entirely desirable, but remember they may find it harder to find places where they can have a smoke with some drinks and food...they need to have a choice too..

I know that the habit is a health hazard but that does not make smokers an outcast, where people who do not smoke can come and shut them off from any place even though it has been classified as a smoking zone. They have rights too and it needs to be understood by non-smokers as well.

my 2 cents

~maniac
serious_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2007, 03:58   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
khanak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mumbai/Toronto
Posts: 2,735
Thanked: 127 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by serious_maniac View Post
Well it seems that the smokers are being rubbished here..... you can say that they have a habit which is not entirely desirable, but remember they may find it harder to find places where they can have a smoke with some drinks and food...they need to have a choice too..

I know that the habit is a health hazard but that does not make smokers an outcast, where people who do not smoke can come and shut them off from any place even though it has been classified as a smoking zone. They have rights too and it needs to be understood by non-smokers as well.

my 2 cents

~maniac
Noones asking anyone to stop smoking. In fact in the west you cant even smoke in clubs even if theres a seperate smoking zone. In winters youll find smokers shivering outside restaurants and clubs while smoking.

Noone has any problem with smokers smoking in the smokign section of restaurants as long as it doesnt affect the non smokers, but if the restaurant hasnt designed a seperate smoking zone, as per the BMC rules the restaurant cannot allow smoking in the restaurant.
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2007, 10:14   #34
Senior - BHPian
 
humyum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Leicester/Mumbai
Posts: 2,275
Thanked: 2,115 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Unless your walking in the middle of the road between traffic it isnt all that bad. When your on the sidewalk your still a couple of feet away from the smoke and its still an open environment. If you had to eat your meal in an enclosed garage with someone revving the 407 Id agree that it would be worse.
Yeah so u r a couple of feet away from the smokers smoke too right?not like they blow it in your face?
And are u comparing a closed garage with a 407 to an airconditioned restaurant with guy smoking a ciggi?
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2007, 10:33   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
khanak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mumbai/Toronto
Posts: 2,735
Thanked: 127 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Yeah so u r a couple of feet away from the smokers smoke too right?not like they blow it in your face?
And are u comparing a closed garage with a 407 to an airconditioned restaurant with guy smoking a ciggi?
Theres a lot less air circulation in an airconditioned restaurant than on the road out in the open.
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2007, 10:59   #36
Senior - BHPian
 
humyum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Leicester/Mumbai
Posts: 2,275
Thanked: 2,115 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Theres a lot less air circulation in an airconditioned restaurant than on the road out in the open.
yeah but there is way way more pollution on the road too as the number of cars,bikes,trucks,buses etc blow out a lot of harmful gases.So u see the aircirculation is good in the open but the number of pollutants is high too.
Just because u dont do it..dont expect others not to do it.BMC says this and BMC says that and people who are advocating this should stop going to places where everything is not setup according to BMCs standards.
The only place u ll end up going is your house
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2007, 11:00   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
amtak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mumbai - The city of Sea Link!!!
Posts: 2,772
Thanked: 331 Times
Default

Most of the hotels/restraunts have a smokers as well as a non-smokers section. This is a strange behaviour on part of these hotels.

OT: How many have actually noticed that you cannot sit in a family section in a good hotel only if there are men's group. I was actually thrown out of a hotel becuase I protested with them that I don't drink or smoke but I am here with my brother and cousin (who also don't don such things) but the waiter said that you have to leave as they cannot serve us. Further, when we went to the manager to complain, he pointed his hand towards the people who were smoking and drinking in the a particular area and said that you can sit there, that's a no smoking area!!!!

I just told him that your hotel S$$% and promised that I will never walk into that hotel....Again.
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2007, 11:05   #38
Senior - BHPian
 
govigov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cochin!!!!!
Posts: 1,271
Thanked: 382 Times
Default

You just need to find better hotels. The ones that suit your need. There are hotels which dont allow smoking, perhaps that would be a better choice for people who have allergies to smoking.
govigov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2007, 11:21   #39
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 433 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
You just need to find better hotels. The ones that suit your need. There are hotels which dont allow smoking, perhaps that would be a better choice for people who have allergies to smoking.
Absolutely. Non-smokers will have to live with that. No offence anyone.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2007, 11:56   #40
Senior - BHPian
 
jesal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,322
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

yes they are a part of mainland china for sure. atleast in versova they are.
jesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2007, 12:12   #41
Senior - BHPian
 
khanak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mumbai/Toronto
Posts: 2,735
Thanked: 127 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
yeah but there is way way more pollution on the road too as the number of cars,bikes,trucks,buses etc blow out a lot of harmful gases.So u see the aircirculation is good in the open but the number of pollutants is high too.
Just because u dont do it..dont expect others not to do it.BMC says this and BMC says that and people who are advocating this should stop going to places where everything is not setup according to BMCs standards.
The only place u ll end up going is your house
Boss its a BMC rule, every single eating house in Mumbai has to follow it. Its upto the BMC and the restaurant owners to make sure the rule is followed.

Also theres a lot of difference between pollution on the road and a smoker sitting on the next table to you. The smell really irritates some people. This has been identified as an issue by governments all over the world including India and there is legislation in place to prevent it from happening.

As for the 'dont go to restaurants that dont follow the rule bit' thats like saying dont go to restaurants that dont have hygenic kitchens. As per the law any restaurant in Mumbai has to follow all the BMC standards including hygene and setup standards and every Mumbaikar should be assured of this minimum standard in every restaurant in the city.

Last edited by khanak : 22nd November 2007 at 12:28.
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2007, 12:14   #42
BHPian
 
vikram18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: pune
Posts: 615
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

First of all, i think you need to stop harping about the west; this is India, like it or leave it. Ok, so you're a non-smoker. Congrats! So am I. But we still need to live with some of life's realities.
From your post, you want to blame the restaurant, the laws, the smokers...everything... but you're not prepared to do ANYTHING to safeguard your interests or your health. You don't want to sit in a designated non-smoking area even though your GF is an asthamatic! . You want the coolest place, the guy to stop smoking, the restaurant staff to "request" him, while you do absolutely NOTHING??? You can't get up and ask the guy nicely even though you're so concerned about your health and your girlfriend? What do you do? You walk out of the restaurant into I'm sure, the hot sun outside and then write about it on a CAR FORUM, citing examples of the "west". Seriously dude! Don't go around ranting for a change by "someone" or the "system". Make the best of what you can here, or else you can always move out and laugh at all the suckers shivering in the snow!
vikram18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2007, 12:23   #43
Senior - BHPian
 
khanak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mumbai/Toronto
Posts: 2,735
Thanked: 127 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
First of all, i think you need to stop harping about the west; this is India, like it or leave it. Ok, so you're a non-smoker. Congrats! So am I. But we still need to live with some of life's realities.
From your post, you want to blame the restaurant, the laws, the smokers...everything... but you're not prepared to do ANYTHING to safeguard your interests or your health. You don't want to sit in a designated non-smoking area even though your GF is an asthamatic! . You want the coolest place, the guy to stop smoking, the restaurant staff to "request" him, while you do absolutely NOTHING??? You can't get up and ask the guy nicely even though you're so concerned about your health and your girlfriend? What do you do? You walk out of the restaurant into I'm sure, the hot sun outside and then write about it on a CAR FORUM, citing examples of the "west". Seriously dude! Don't go around ranting for a change by "someone" or the "system". Make the best of what you can here, or else you can always move out and laugh at all the suckers shivering in the snow!
I agree that in this case the restaurant isnt wrong and has every right to allow the person to smoke inside the restaurant as it had a seperate non smoking zone and as per the BMC guidelines the person didnt have to pass through the smoking zone to get to the non smoking zone.

As for the "this is India" bit, again, Mumbai DOES have regulations on smoking in public places and so its not like we are "behind" the west or havent bothered to form legislation regarding this.

I have never been to this particular restaurant but Mainland China (of which this restaurant is a part of) happens to be be one of my favourite restaurants and their Saki Naka branch has some of the best smoking and non smoking zones. People sitting in the smoking zone can enjoy their cigarette without the people in the non smoking zone even knowing about it.
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2007, 12:32   #44
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,652
Thanked: 242 Times
Default

I have only one comment to make, can I enter a "NO Smoking" area/restaurant and start smoking/ expect others to bear with me ???

Think about it, restaurant is right.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2007, 13:07   #45
Senior - BHPian
 
normally_crazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,368
Thanked: 383 Times
Default

Whats this talk about smoking and non-smoking areas ?

All the non smoking tables are located right next to smoking zone tables in 5 star hotels too - so what difference will it cause ? Nothing - zilch - zero.

There are no proper sections that have been cordoned off - so that the smoke doesn't reach the non smoking area - so non smokers are inhaling smoke as it is.

As for laws - they are framed when we see them being enforced in other countries.

One place where I have seen smoking zones totally seperate is the Adlabs Multiplex at Wadala. The smoking zone is behind closed doors and it's strictly followed too.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking Surprise Shifting gears 1564 22nd August 2017 01:41
Anti Smoking Laws Are Here moralfibre Shifting gears 178 24th April 2013 21:45
Bad Expereince @Fortune Cars @Nerul Vs Wasan Motors @Chembur rudrah Indian Car Dealerships 3 28th February 2008 14:53
My accident - Bad brakes, bad rain, bad luck... vezj420 Street Experiences 41 22nd May 2007 10:49
A very bad expereince with traffic policeman. hkanitkar Street Experiences 21 25th August 2006 14:13


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:14.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks