Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 10th September 2008, 09:39   #76
Senior - BHPian

Amit, now we will have some thing in hand to ask the hotel guys to ask the smokers to stop smoking.

PS: I hope this statement doesn't make some of the T-BHPians loathe /curse me
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 09:57   #77
Senior - BHPian

You can smoke on the roads and in the parks are they are not grouped as under "public places". Hotels & restaurants will have to provide a designated place to smoke for its patrons.

PS: I dont smoke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Ban on smoking in public from October 2

I am not a smoker, and I have never smoked. Still I find this law ridiculous. Banned from all public places? Now people have to go underground to smoke? Now police have one more excuse to harass people and take bribe.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 10:02   #78
Senior - BHPian

From what I gather they want to discourage smoking indoors/building premises/bus stops/stations etc. Your free to smoke on the road or in the park or on your roof I presume.

Certain countries abroad have banned smoking only in A/C environments. Your still free to go into the hallway/stairway and smoke.
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 10:16   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

LOL. A good fallout of this will be more pressure on atleast IT companies to let employees work from home!
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 10:23   #80
BANNED

If memory serves me correctly, smoking was banned in public places a few years ago. Chennai police were all smiles as they could 'fine' anybody smoking on the streets. I wonder what happened to that law. Now, the minister says you can smoke in public?
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 11:15   #81
Team-BHP Support

This smoking ban was being considered for a few months. I read in an earlier article in some newspaper that hotels, restaurants, pubs, malls, office buildings, theatres, etc. would be made no-smoking zones. The only place one can smoke will be on the road. Don't know how they don't consider a road as a public place.
Aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 15:06   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
May be he'll introduce a limit on the amount of alcohol served to an individual in the future

Then we'll have a line of disgruntled tipplers in front of his house everyday.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 15:10   #83
Senior - BHPian

Smoke in the car with the windows rolled up. That should be considered your private property ....or is it ?

Roads are not public places and resturants are? amazing !

Last edited by normally_crazy : 10th September 2008 at 15:11.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 15:12   #84
Team-BHP Support

Thankfully this will mean smoke less discs and lounges.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 17:13   #85
Senior - BHPian

The Hakka guys are well within their rights to demarcate the smoking and no smoking areas, however they should have requested the Gent to stop atleast. Very soon if our health minister has his way there would be no "smoking areas" at all in our public places but whether a private resturant will come under the ambit of being a public place, needs to be seen.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 18:05   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

tsk saab, basically what will happen is that lounges will remain the way they are, and they will become non-smoker-free
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 18:21   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
The Hakka guys are well within their rights to demarcate the smoking and no smoking areas, however they should have requested the Gent to stop atleast. Very soon if our health minister has his way there would be no "smoking areas" at all in our public places but whether a private resturant will come under the ambit of being a public place, needs to be seen.
Private Rest' also comes under the public place banner. However this law will only help In further harrassment of common man because the guidelines will never be completely transparent as for a common person distingusihing in a public place and a smoking zone is gonna be a helluva task.
So Police Dept of India have a party as you got one more good reason to harass people and take bribes for this rule also

Also how Govt is gonna check private companies and there area for smokers is something i fail to understand!
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 01:58   #88
BHPian

Smoking ban to be enforced from Oct 2: Ramadoss

The Centre would strictly enforce the ban on smoking in public places from October 2, Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare Anbumani Ramadoss said.

"An Act on no smoking in public places has been brought out by the Centre two-and-a-half years ago, but it remained only on paper. Now, we have made a modification in the already enforced rule and from October 2, 2008, the modified rule will be enforced strongly across the country," he said at a function, as part of World Tobacco Day being observed on Saturday.

Elaborating on the Cigarettes and other Tobacco Products (Prohibition of Advertisement and Regulation of Trade and Commerce, Production, Supply and Distribution) Act-2003, he said the Government of India has notified revised Rules on the Prohibition of Smoking in Public Places on May 30, 2008.

"As per the revised Rules, smoking is banned in shopping malls, cinema halls, public/private work place, hotels, banquet halls, discotheques, canteen, coffee house, pubs, bars, airport lounge, railway stations", he said.

People can smoke on roads or in their homes but not in any other place, he said.

The impact is more while smoking inside closed environment than in roads or streets, he said.

Ramadoss said 40 per cent of deaths occur in India due to tobacco related diseases while two-third of deaths occur due to smoking, junk foods and usage of drugs.
BAKIYA_2K12 is offline   Reply With Quote