Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 15th November 2007, 12:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatDrive View Post
I think, All taxes, including VAT is included in the recharge coupon cost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit
no i meant wasnt VAT suppose to solve the problem of saving sales tax by not generating bills.
VAT is included, but the way it works is that it's eventually a tax that is entirely borne by the end user. For which he is entitled to a receipt.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2007, 12:40   #17
BHPian

@amohit - I believe vat was introduced more for the purpose of common taxation than solving tax evasion problems !!!

@ ferro - Why blame baniya marwadis only , as mail4ajo found out that we all love to avoid tax . Your comment was very racist there . Ask any salaried guy be he of any caste he would love to receive a part of his salary in cash without paying the tax for it. Please don't hurt people's sentiments here !!
nikunj_cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2007, 13:31   #18
BHPian

[quote=nikunj_cal;627366@ ferro - Why blame baniya marwadis only , as mail4ajo found out that we all love to avoid tax . Your comment was very racist there . Ask any salaried guy be he of any caste he would love to receive a part of his salary in cash without paying the tax for it. Please don't hurt people's sentiments here !![/QUOTE]

Nikunj, ferro meant shop-keepers by baniya marwadis.

And as for salaried guys, sure we all love to avoid tax, but ultimately all of us have to pay a major part of our salaries as taxes. But these shop-keepers get away.

I know people who earn 50 lakh p.a. but get away by filing returns of just 1 lakh.

\N
ntomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2007, 13:44   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
I know people who earn 50 lakh p.a. but get away by filing returns of just 1 lakh.
\N
Not even 1 lac sometimes, Some don't even file tax returns..

Anyways, My original question was, Is there a way to complain about it somewhere in our system? I know he can get away by paying some amount to the system, but I want him to pay for not paying bill to the customer.
greatDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2007, 14:43   #20
BHPian

you can either file a complaint in the Consumer forum directly or through some consumer action groups. Look for any local consumer groups in your area and give a complaint with them, they will file the complaint in the District Consumer Forum. (it needs to be conducted as a case, if you are going through some consumer action groups, they will take care of it. They will help you and guide you. Its mostly free of cost or a small membership fee)

You can also approach a lawyer and file the complaint (But you need to spend out for Lawyer's fee)
gmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2007, 15:19   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmano View Post
you can either file a complaint in the Consumer forum directly or through some consumer action groups. Look for any local consumer groups in your area and give a complaint with them, they will file the complaint in the District Consumer Forum. (it needs to be conducted as a case, if you are going through some consumer action groups, they will take care of it. They will help you and guide you. Its mostly free of cost or a small membership fee)

You can also approach a lawyer and file the complaint (But you need to spend out for Lawyer's fee)
And what proof does he have. It will be his word against the shop-keeper's. I doubt whether this will lead to anything.

\N
ntomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2007, 15:43   #22
BHPian

^^ He has got the recharge voucher.
Recharge vouchers can be tracked. The company supplies the recharge voucher to particular Dealer/Distributor and the Dealer/Distributor supplies it to the retailer - during these transactions they note the serial number of the recharge voucher and these records can be called for by the court on your application. This will prove that who sold that particular Recharge Voucher.

Even otherwise, if has got any eye witness for the incident, he can prove it.

Last edited by gmano : 15th November 2007 at 15:46.
gmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 15:06   #23
BHPian

@ntomer - I know he meant shop keepers , so lets keep them as shop keepers and not say baniya marwari or stuff. We have a lot of local shop keepers who happen to be gujrati and a few muslims !! The point I am trying to make is that anybody and everybody loves to evade tax . By the way tax avoidance is legal , but tax evasion is illegal .We salaried guys pays so much tax because the company deducts tds . If the company did not deduct tds then it would have to pay out of its own pocket. So we do not have an option.i would love to get my entire salry in cash and so would the other thousands of employees working in my company if they had an option.

@greatdrive - u can try checking out the site:- www.incometaxindia.gov.in . it may have some info.
nikunj_cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 17:32   #24
BHPian

I am not an expert as far as the VAT/Sales Tax structure is concerned.But this is what i feel:
Th printed MRP does include all the taxes for sure and the structure would be somewhat like this:
MRP= Company Selling Prce+ VAT on CSP+ Distributor Commission+VAT on DC
Now if he does not maintain any records of the transcation (CC of the bill), i guess he can evade paying the VAT amount on his commission, and also he can evade income tax for the whole amount. ie- DC +VAT on DC.
This is my understanding, and i'm waiting for Somebody with better knowledge to enlighten me
aravindwarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 19:37   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindwarrier View Post
MRP= Company Selling Prce+ VAT on CSP+ Distributor Commission+VAT on DC
Now if he does not maintain any records of the transcation (CC of the bill), i guess he can evade paying the VAT amount on his commission, and also he can evade income tax for the whole amount. ie- DC +VAT on DC.
This is my understanding, and i'm waiting for Somebody with better knowledge to enlighten me
You are right, he can get away by paying no/ very little VAT on commission by portraying in his books that he has sold at buying price/ small markup.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2007, 14:23   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikunj_cal View Post
@ntomer - I know he meant shop keepers , so lets keep them as shop keepers and not say baniya marwari or stuff. We have a lot of local shop keepers who happen to be gujrati and a few muslims !! The point I am trying to make is that anybody and everybody loves to evade tax . By the way tax avoidance is legal , but tax evasion is illegal ...............

I guess you have some sort of understanding problem I never intended to hurt your caste.
Provisional or Medical stores run by Baniya marwari never give any sort of bill even when u ask for bill they just give something stamped on plain paper without any sort of Tin or Vat number.
I personally happen to know many marwaris shopkeepers in my area and they never pay any sort of TAX or give proper bills.
all they do is happily bribe the Tax officers regularly !!!

its like the aam janta pays taxes and the rich guys get away by paying bribe to the Tax officials
FERRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2007, 16:05   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Thats wierd. There's something fishy there.
Correct me if I'm wrong,but isn't it a rule that every item sold from a shop/store had/should be accounted for?So issuing a receipt is necessary. If the owner was trying to get away with any kind of tax payments,he ought to be taken to task.
Nitin, After reading your comment, I was going to say, where are you from, the US? Then I saw that, indeed, you are living in the US.
In real India (as opposed to the the chain stores that make up only a few percent of the retail sales in India), nobody gives a receipt unless you ask for it. And that too, on a piece of blank paper. Or a "Estimate" pad that the shopkeeper got from a manufacturer. Or, only sometimes, is it a real bill.
caliper is offline   Reply With Quote