Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 29th May 2009, 21:24   #31
Senior - BHPian

I WILL NEVER USE AGARWAL PACKERS AND MOVERS AGAIN!!!

Over the last 20 yrs I have moved/shifted cities some 8-10 times - four of them in the last six years. I have used the services of a variety of packers and movers with mixed results.

This time we were shifting back to Bangalore - and the guy we were happy with had sold his business. Someone recommended Agarwal , and they came home claiming to be the largest and the most organised etc. They were the only ones who left behind a lot of collaterals - good high quality ones - all leading us to believe perhaps they were as good as they claimed to be. I reconfirmed the packing materials they were going to use (like plastic crates etc) and upon confirmation the deal was struck - not one paisa lesser than their original quote. (Dint even negotiate - from past experience it had proven to be counter-productive - the packer will cut corners elsewhere and still make the same amount of margin)

...And then the horror(s) started.

ON the designated day they arrived an hour late - with hardly any material or manpower. They had sent just 3 people. They had no crates (for crockery), no scrap paper, not even the packing machine (the tape thingy/crimping tool - they came with some spool of thin plastic tape - the kinds you bind a bundle of newsprint with! Having faced and dealt with a lot of shifting 'aftermath', it was clear to me that the material sent was woefully inadequate - and even the committed things like the crates etc was not sent. Hell they asked us if we can give them the newspaper they need! I asked them not to begin work till such time they cant come with proper materials. A lot of phone calls ensued - but I stuck to my guns. Finally the crates and some paper arrived - not enough - but they convinced me to let them start work (I had to hand over the house the same eve - so that pushed my hand)

I had to intervene numerous times the way they were packing - and each time I was told "Sir we do this everyday - and we send goods all the way to Delhi and beyond - nothing ever has happened to it - 'aap hame humaara kaam karne deejiye' ! Luckily I never discard packing material - so I still had the original packaging for my HT, Plasma, AC, Desktop etc. They did not even have a proper Packing list - and they were making do with a scrap of paper. The whole thing was so shocking that I actually sent a mail to their help desk on their website (but turns out that is purely cosmetic - none of the so called 24 hr 'helpline' phones were even switched on!! Further enquiries threw up new information that the group had actually spliit up - the enitre empire has been carved up between the four or so brothers.. so maybe the indifference stems from there!) The local bosses that I tried to contact gave me the same - "Sir we do this everyday - and we send goods all the way to Delhi and beyond - nothing ever has happened to it - 'aap hame humaara kaam karne deejiye'"

To cut the long story short they they wind up their packing at 2.00am (as against a promised 6.00pm) .. and get my signature on half a dozen form (rubbishing my queries on insurance - "We sent it to Delhi with less packing that yours sir..." and asked me for an approximate value - I tell them 5 lacs - and they say I cannot give such a high value because.. blah..blah...blah.. It was 2.30am, and we had been on our feet since 6.00am. The kids schedule got shot to pieces as well. All of us were damn hungry and damn tired! So we dint argue - he puts down 1.5 lacs as the value (hell my HT is worth more than that!) gets my signature on a dozen documents, grabs a cheques for 100% payment in advance (that is another thing - their rules 100% in advance) and leaves. I see them loading and tell them it is not being done right - they seemed to be arguing that the truck is too small for the amount of goods ... we get the same "we do this everyday" brush off.

Frustrated and too tired to argue, we finally called it a night.

The next day - we reach Bangalore - the truck arrives the following day with their local unloading people. I go to open the flat and they call me back saying " sir - we have just opened the door - please have a look - we don't want you to say we are responsible!!" I run to the truck... and was aghast! I clicked a few snaps (for record - just in case) and ask them to unload. What did we find? ...

They had broken just about everything!! - Sofa (which they rolled - yes ROLLED down six flights of stairs! - lack of manpower to use the rope that had brought for the purpose) , Dining table, IRON cot (an antique 260 yr old one - with cast iron wheels 'made in Paris' ), children's cot, Bike (decals, the seat sponge and all, indicators) , certificates and trophies, every single piece of terracotta items we possessed, some electronic items.... I could go on....!! The goods were on a direct truck - direct from my old house to the new one. The truck had not met with any accident en route. The damage they caused was undeniably and entirely due to their own incompetence and the callous indifference with which they packed and loaded!

I refused to sign any release document - they tried everything possible - including some threats (mild talk of 'Takleef/trouble" having to go to the 'Police Station' etc - which quickly stopped the second I offered to drive them there!) I stopped their payment over phone! (One of the few reasons why I love a technologically enabled new generation bank!)

A lot of people have come to me since - to photograph the damaged goods etc, trying to broker various deals - but the fight is on! They are proving to be glib and persuasive talkers but nowhere did I see them trying to right the wrong. All they seem to be interested in is their payment.

To conclude - even the WORST LOCAL SHADY packer we have ever had the misfortune of using in the past, were 100 times better than Agarwal packers and movers have proven to be.

Be careful - Be warned!

PS: - The best experience we have had was with LEO Packers and Movers. Unequivocally bloody brilliant!)

Last edited by kb100 : 29th May 2009 at 21:43.
kb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2009, 22:59   #32
cnu
BHPian

Thats sad kb100. Found Agarwal Packers & Movers most un-professional when I interacted with them couple of years back.. Went with LEO packers & movers at that time. Since then used the services of LEO 3 times in the last 2 years and every time had a pleasant experience. I would also recommend PM Packers & Movers.
cnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2009, 11:39   #33
BHPian

well KB100, that's very sad.

hope you will get a compensation soon.
loving_alaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 18:42   #34
Senior - BHPian

Anyone used Transworld International ? They're quoting pretty high for moving car from Blr to Kolkata, and I was wondering if they're worth the extra money.

I checked on the net and there were negative reviews for both Agarwal and Leo.

Anyone having moved between Blr and Kolkata recently please provide a feedback of your experience.
sdp1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 16:35   #35
Senior - BHPian

Update : I used Transworld Intl. to shift my car from Blr->Kolkata.

Thankfully, the car reached in good condition within the specified time.

Although Transworld charges a premium of about 25% compared to other packers/movers, I think they are worth it given the professionalism, courtesy and service that I experienced.
sdp1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 16:40   #36
Senior - BHPian

I used Sahara Packers and Movers when I relocated to Chennai from Bangalore, and found them to be good. I liked their packing very much.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 11:46   #37
BHPian

Default Thoroughly dissatisfied with Sahara Packer and Movers.

I had a thoroughly unsatisfactory experience with Sahara Packers and movers when I shifted recently.

I shifted my residence within Bangalore recently and had hired Sahara Packers and Movers for the relocation since we had used them for our office shifting.
They charged a very high rate (total Rs 6000 including service tax and tips) for shifting 1 BHK limited furniture from 2nd floor to ground floor. The packers came late and only unloaded the furniture at the new place without unpacking. Since it was late at night on Sunday when they finished unloading, it was agreed by their company manager that he would send a couple of people two days later on Tuesday (since Monday was a holiday for their company). I was assured that they would be there by 1-2 p.m. and hence my wife and I had taken leave for the day and sat at home.
Despite repeated follow ups with the manager and his assurances that the team was on its way, no one turned up and the day was wasted. He even cut my calls when I tried calling repeatedly in the evening.
As we began unpacking ourselves, we noticed that the refrigerator base was damaged and a kitchen trolley leg was broken. Further damage will be evident only upon unpacking.

The complaints number given on their website was not answered. I've sent an email to the Complaints Email ID listed on the website but no reply.

Last edited by sidkun : 24th September 2009 at 11:48.
sidkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 11:57   #38
BHPian

Thumbs down Times Packers and movers

PLease please please stay away from times packers and movers, i shifted within Bangalore recently and service provided was pathetic .
first of all they arrived 4 hours late despite constant follow ups.
Only 3 guys came to pack and move the entire stuff , they looked by contract guys.
They brought an open truck on a rainy day , with even a temporary rain cover.
The packing done was O.K.
And their behavior after i paid the money was disgusting.
ms001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 16:39   #39
BHPian

Guys.. Any suggestions for good movers within Bangalore? I need to move from Ulsoor area to Koramanagala? This is just for limited household stuff without packing involved.
LastActionHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 16:43   #40
BHPian

I had used Leo Packers a couple of times. Once from Bangalore to Mumbai amd Mumbai to Coimbatore. They also moved my cars. They are quite professional. But expensive, bargain hard and have a penalty cause for delay in delivery on promised time.

Raja
COSY RAJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 18:22   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero View Post
Guys.. Any suggestions for good movers within Bangalore? I need to move from Ulsoor area to Koramanagala? This is just for limited household stuff without packing involved.
Well if you can devote some time i can suggest you to visit a lorry stand (One i know of is opposite to total mall on old airport road). From there you can hire both the truck and labour gang for loading unloading.
I tried their service while i shifted from 1 bhk to 2 bhk and was reasonably cheaper, the likes of aggarwal were quoting 6k while i got the entire job done in 1.5k.
One more thing in local shiftings even agarwal doesnt do any protective packing either, so the only reason why they ask for premium is for the brand value
shk_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 14:07   #42
BHPian

Thanks for the suggestion. I did visit a Lorry stand near Shivaji Nagar.. but was skeptical because these guys are unknown and would disappear as soon as the job is done. Still researching a bit more before I finalize.
LastActionHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 22:51   #43
BHPian

I had sent a request for quote to Leo Packers and Movers, Writers Packers and Movers.

For shifting

1 wooden diwan
1 metal bed
1 Refridgerator
1 Godrej cupboard
1 Washing machine
1 small wooden table
1 small wooden dressing table
2 plastic chairs
20 spoons 20 plates appx
20 medium size tumblers appx
20 steel containers (small,medium to store food items) appx
10 medium large carton box worth of miscellaneous items (clothes etc).

The items have to shifted from ground floor house in Domlur to 2nd floor house in Murgeshpalya (less than 5 Kms). Service required was packing, loading and unloading to 2nd floor house. No unpacking.

For this Leo Packers have quoted Rs.14,000 excluding service tax and coverage, Writers have quoted Rs.12,0000 excluding service tax and coverage.

Seriously, isnt that expensive?

Need help from TBHPians. Shifting of above items from Domlur to behind Kempfort. The people requiring this are a Mother and daughter.
ashwinsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 07:48   #44
Senior - BHPian

When i moved from one apartment to another in chennai (in 2005) I went to a road crossing, picked up a tata ace type mini truck, he charged 250 I think for the travel. asked him to pick up 2 more guys since bed etc was heavy, 50 each. In 400 everything was done. Here in US I paid 80$ for two guys for two hours who brought their own truck (aptt to aptt move) for the heavy stuff, rest we did ourselves. If you are ready to spend some time things can be done very easily.

I have seen my parents move and we do all the packing etc ourselves like they did. but if you are asking for somebody to come and pack it may get expensive.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 09:20   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I did visit a Lorry stand near Shivaji Nagar.. but was skeptical because these guys are unknown and would disappear as soon as the job is done. Still researching a bit more before I finalize.
2 years back, i used service of vinayaka packers (hope i got the name right) while shifting from marathahalli to btm. These guys are based in ulsoor .I got the contact info from either sulekha or justdial.
if i remember correctly, they charged 2k.
I was happy with their service.
rajesh1868 is offline   Reply With Quote