Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 27th November 2007, 18:43   #1
BHPian

Default Is it okay to Display the Indian National Flag (Tiranga) at office, home and cars?

Can I fly the Indian flag on a mast in my car or are only politicians/ officials permitted to do so?
Murugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2007, 19:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

I'm afraid you can't do so legally.

As per Section IX of Part III of the Flag Code of India, 2002, only the following classes of persons can display flag on their motor cars:

(1) President;
(2) Vice-President;
(3) Governors and Lieutenant Governors;
(4) Heads of Indian Missions/Posts abroad in the countries to which they are accredited;
(5) Prime Minister and other Cabinet Ministers;
Ministers of State and Deputy Ministers of the Union;
Chief Minister and other Cabinet Ministers of a State or Union Territory;
Ministers of State and Deputy Ministers of a State or Union Territory;
(6) Speaker of the Lok Sabha;
Deputy Chairman of the Rajya Sabha;
Deputy Speaker of the Lok Sabha;
Chairmen of Legislative Councils in States;
Speakers of Legislative Assemblies in States and Union territories;
Deputy Chairmen of Legislative Councils in States;
Deputy Speakers of Legislative Assemblies in States and Union territories;
(7) Chief Justice of India;
Judges of Supreme Court;
Chief Justice of High Courts;
Judges of High Courts.

The dignitaries mentioned in (5 ) to (7) may fly the National Flag on their cars, whenever they consider it necessary or advisable.

When a foreign dignitary travels in a car provided by Government, the National Flag will be flown on the right side of the car and the Flag of the foreign country will be flown on the left side of the car.

Last edited by directinjection : 27th November 2007 at 19:17.
directinjection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2007, 19:15   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Removing the formatting stuff from what directinjection said-

Quote:
I'm afraid you can't do so legally.
As per the Flag Code of India, 2002, only the following persons can display flag on their motor cars:

Section IX
Display on Motor Cars

The privilege of flying the National Flag on motor cars is limited to the:—(1) President;(2) Vice-President;(3) Governors and Lieutenant Governors;(4) Heads of Indian Missions/Posts abroad in the countries to which they are accredited;(5) Prime Minister and other Cabinet Ministers;Ministers of State and Deputy Ministers of the Union; Chief Minister and other Cabinet Ministers of a State or Union Territory; Ministers of State and Deputy Ministers of a State or Union Territory;(6) Speaker of the Lok Sabha;Deputy Chairman of the Rajya Sabha;Deputy Speaker of the Lok Sabha;Chairmen of Legislative Councils in States;Speakers of Legislative Assemblies in States and Union territories;Deputy Chairmen of Legislative Councils in States;Deputy Speakers of Legislative Assemblies in States and Union territories;(7) Chief Justice of India;Judges of Supreme Court;Chief Justice of High Courts;Judges of High Courts.

The dignitaries mentioned in Clauses (5 ) to (7) of paragraph 3.44 may fly the National Flag on their cars, whenever they consider it necessary or advisable.

When a foreign dignitary travels in a car provided by Government, the National Flag will be flown on the right side of the car and the Flag of the foreign countries will be flown on the left side of the car.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 27th November 2007 at 19:18.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2007, 19:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Removing the formatting stuff from what directinjection said-
Thanks a lot CD! You did it before I could! The "remove formatting" feature never seems to work on my machine and so I have to do it manually, line by line, every time. Or may be I'm missing something.

Cheers!
directinjection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2007, 21:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

You can do this only on I'day or a R'day. As we have seen many people do this during these days (though it is not official) and after India wins in Cricket Matches.

Last edited by snaronikar : 27th November 2007 at 21:38.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2007, 21:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

How about a small indian flag on the upper tip of the radio antenna?
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2007, 22:40   #7
BHPian

This is something that really really bugs me. I live in america, and here the flag is "OF THE PEOPLE". they can display it anyway they like. they can fly it where ever they like, they can burn it if they like. Its their flag.

Where the hell does GOI get the idea that they can dictate to the people of India who can and cannot use the flag and how the flag can and cannot be used?

Some IAS bureaucrat once tried to justify it to me by saying that the government had to do this to ensure that the flag is always treated respectfully. I laughed at him. The flag should belong to the people and they should be free to do what they like with it. its their flag. It does not belong to the GOI, but the babus and the mantris seriously believe that they are better than the masses, and they LIKE to keep the trappings and symbols of power for themselves.

My Lotus has the Union Jack on it and I was going to replace it, put the Tiranga in its place. How ironic that I can fly my country's flag outside the country but not inside it.

India still has far to go before the masses, the politicians and the bureaucrats truly understand what "of the people, by the people and for the people" really means. We are only a fledgling democracy, and in our country the old elite classes still behave like Elites super class, and the rest of the country still accepts the authority and power of these elites.

My thanks to Naveen Jindal for having struck a blow for the citizens of India against the mantris and babus.
Harbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2007, 22:44   #8
BHPian

Murugan, You can have a small flag (looks like a desktop thingy) on the dashboard, I've seen quite a few of them. Looks neat.
eclectix 1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2007, 22:48   #9
BHPian

PS. for those who don't know, the Union Jack is the British Flag. thats right. my lotus came with a british flag stuck on it, right from the factory. The Queen of Great Britain, the ministers of the crown, the judges of the crown, do not consider this in appropriate usage.

But GOI puts rules on how we can use our flags. Its as if they are the sahibs and its their flag, and we all the naukars and kam vali maids who are not granted the right to treat the flag as theirs.

In the US, americans can burn their flag as protest. In India we had to fight to win the right just to fly it. How pathetic.

We in India like to think that we are a free democracy where people have the freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom of this and that. but really we are very far from it yet. We are not even free to fly our own flag or to burn it in protest. We have the lord sahibs to tell us what we can do.

I am sorry I know this forum disallows political talk but I just had to say this when the topic came up. I hope I have not offended anyone, but if I have, I am glad, because I would like to see Indians get upset and thinking about what they have been promised by the constitution of India but have in reality been denied by the babus and mantris.

Peace.
Old 28th November 2007, 00:16   #10
Team-BHP Support

harbir, you live in the US but you are misinformed about the US flag code.
The US flag code prohibits wearing the flag and is as restrictive as the indian flag code. But the thing is Indian flag code is the law, but the US flag code is the a guideline.
This means you can violate the flag code but you will not be arrested for it
SUVCW--U. S. Flag Code (36 USC 10)
In one case a guy was charged with fine/imprisonment but the supreme court struck it down.
Quote:
Criminal penalties for certain acts of desecration to the flag were contained in Title 18 of the United States Code prior to 1989. The Supreme Court decision in Texas v. Johnson; June 21, 1989, held the statute unconstitutional. This statute was amended when the Flag Protection Act of 1989 (Oct. 28, 1989) imposed a fine and/or up to I year in prison for knowingly mutilating, defacing, physically defiling, maintaining on the floor or trampling upon any flag of the United States. The Flag Protection Act of 1989 was struck down by the Supreme Court decision, United States vs. Eichman, decided on June 11, 1990.
United States Flag Code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2007, 01:05   #11
Team-BHP Support

I think there is some change in this position which is not reflected correctly from wherever you guys took the list of people who can sport the tricolor. It was till some years back. However thanks to Mr. Naveen Jindal and his long fight the law has now been changed after supreme court intervened and stated that any patriotic indian has as much right over the flag as any other babu or politico.

Naveen was bugged when he was stopped from unfurling the flag on his factory building. He had freshly returned from US after doing his MBA and this law looked wierd to him. Hence his prolonged fight. Thanks to him, today any indian can unfurl the flag without a bother. However there is a catch. You must not do anything that soils the dignity of the tricolor. Otherwise you will fall foul of the law. That means it should not touch the ground or be sat upon etc...

Coming back to what TSK said about US and its position over the flag issue, today the indian scenario is also somewhat similar AFAIK. As long as you do not hurt the pride of the nation by demeaning the flag by any means you can unfurl it with elan. Of course some of the things like making a chaddhi/bikini with a flag which may be Ok in US will be construed as an insult to the flag in this country.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2007, 01:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

Thats right,zappo. There are a few things that cannot be done with the Indian Flag. If I am right, off late a few celebs have been facing the brunt of the GOI, for example Aamir Khan & Tendulkar (??) . One for cutting a cake that had the Indian flag.Not too sure about the 2nd incident,though.

Anyways,I guess it should be OK to have the flag on a vehicle,as long as it doesn't disrespect the flag/nation in any way.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2007, 01:18   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Of course some of the things like making a chaddhi/bikini with a flag which may be Ok in US will be construed as an insult to the flag in this country.
Nope. its not okay according to US flag code. Look at my post again. The US flag code cannot impose criminal case on you. Its like a guideline. Violating it does not mean you go to jail. Making a t-shirt, car sticker etc., from US flag is violation of flag code, but you cannot be arrested or fined for that.
Indian flag code is the law. Even if you are dissatisfied with the nation, you cannot disrespect the flag. US law allows that. If somebody thinks the nation has betrayed them, they are granted the right to disrespect the flag. Many people misuse this also.
That said, according to indian flag code you can hoist the flag on your rooftop,but not on your car
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2007, 01:54   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murugan View Post
Can I fly the Indian flag on a mast in my car or are only politicians/ officials permitted to do so?
in a lighter vein, you can flaunt US and UK flags on either side of your car and move around like a firang "sahib"

do we have a code for foreign flags?
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2007, 11:07   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
harbir, you live in the US but you are misinformed about the US flag code.
The US flag code prohibits wearing the flag and is as restrictive as the indian flag code. But the thing is Indian flag code is the law, but the US flag code is the a guideline.
This means you can violate the flag code but you will not be arrested for it
SUVCW--U. S. Flag Code (36 USC 10)
In one case a guy was charged with fine/imprisonment but the supreme court struck it down.

United States Flag Code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
TSK, your post actually highlights exactly my point. its a code, but not a law. its one thing for the government to set guidelines to show that the country has thought about how the flag SHOULD be treated.

it is completely another thing for the government to enforce it. Enforcement by law impinges upon the rights of the people to decide for themselves, it impinges on their freedom of expression.

The US supreme court rightly struck down enforcement of the code. the day the Indian supreme court strikes down the laws dictating how Indian citizens can treat their flag, that will be a good day for the Indian democracy!