Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 13th December 2007, 23:45   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

The best way to find out if it's a fake is to download the pic and open it in some GIF editor and analyse the frames. Unfortunately i dont have a gif editing utility, maybe some of our Photoshop experts could help.

To me the chick made several clockwise turns and few anti clockwise turns.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2007, 23:54   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
This is a waste of timer & i do feel very very sorry for the folks who said that they can see it both ways. there is only one direction that this figure swings & that is clockwise. Basically this was spread around the internet to see who actually is that stupid to acknowledge that he can see something that is not there by saying that he concentrated hard etc.

essentially it has been ssj & shan2nu, whats up guys ??

Hey actually if u keep looking at it and concentrating you can see it moving both the sides and make it switch the sides with your concentration. Its some kind of an optical illusion. Its not fake guys dont go by the comments on that page.
heavy_foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 00:09   #18
Senior - BHPian

I opened the same animation in two different windows, from two different sites. And at one point, upon alt+tabbing, could see one going clockwise and the other anti. So what brain do I have?

...a very confused one, I think. Now even I'm able to turn her whichever way I want almost at will. I'm going maaaaaaaaaad!

Last edited by Bass&Trouble : 14th December 2007 at 00:21.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 00:29   #19
BHPian

Actually it changes the direction every few minutes ..if u watch long enough. It has nothing to do with your left or right brain...Waste of time guys. Watch!
fiery enzyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 01:13   #20
Senior - BHPian

Ok, since you guys are havin a tough time, lets try somethin easier.

Try these stereograms. Find the 3D image within these 2D images.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 14th December 2007 at 01:14.
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 02:03   #21
Senior - BHPian

nice stereograms.
But Shantanu, that dancer thing is not an illusion I think, it's actually changing direction.And there is a pattern to it.

And also it seems like best way to switch between L and R brain is to use Alt Tab . I've opened the page in two browsers(and funnily in my IE the pic is moving in slow-motion) and using Alt+tab fast switches the direction of motion of the pic. So I think it's just changing direction.

Last edited by kaushik_s : 14th December 2007 at 02:10.
kaushik_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 02:13   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
This is a waste of timer & i do feel very very sorry for the folks who said that they can see it both ways. there is only one direction that this figure swings & that is clockwise. Basically this was spread around the internet to see who actually is that stupid to acknowledge that he can see something that is not there by saying that he concentrated hard etc.
I don't think so. It isn't the brain playing tricks and showing you something that isn't there but the image itself is changing every now and then at a very random. It takes concentration because the anti-clockwise movements do not last long and by the time our brain registers that the image changed, it is back to clockwise movements.

I had a colleague stare at it at the same time I did and both of us were seeing different directions of rotation. I noticed that when I see it turn clockwise, she says anti-clockwise and couple of seconds later she sees the direction change. It is basically her brain taking time to register the change in direction or may be its mine.

So yes, it has nothing to do with brain switching left to right (vision portion of brain does not alter sides IIRC), it just takes time to register the changes.

Last edited by Mayavi : 14th December 2007 at 02:16.
Mayavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 03:56   #23
BHPian

The dancer is two dimensional and symmetrical. All the animated GIF does is swing to the left and then to the right. Something like this: <|>
However, our brain is fooled into thinking there's gyration (rotation about an axis) involved, which is why we can variously interpret it as both clockwise and anticlockwise. To those who can't seem to switch at will, ignore the torso and concentrate on the feet. Slow blinking also helps.
Edsel Rulez! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 10:09   #24
Senior - BHPian

Dunno about you guys but i seem to be able to control the rotational direction. I can make her move clockwise or anticlockwise, when i want and for as long as i want.

It takes some concentration to do that.

Quote:
The dancer is two dimensional and symmetrical. All the animated GIF does is swing to the left and then to the right.
Prob right. But since this image has no depth, it gives the illusion of a complete rotation. Like i've mentioned before, even shadows have the same effect on the brain. You can percieve it to be moving in the opp direction to the object itself.

Ok forget the 2d image, try this video. Watch the face as it rotates. Atleast here you can't argue that the face is changing direction. It's just the effect of light and shade that makes us believe so.

1 more -

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 14th December 2007 at 10:23.
Old 14th December 2007, 10:31   #25
BHPian

wow..that was a wonderful video of charlie chaplin Shan2nu
HellwratH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2007, 11:09   #26
Senior - BHPian

Nice stereograms Shan
1. 2 cranes together.
2. tube with 3 rings
3. 1 small heart n 1 big heart over a round ball n a saucer
4. A smiley

OT.A quick Joke.
I have nothing RIGHT in my left brain & Nothing LEFT in my right brain
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2007, 11:30   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Ok, since you guys are havin a tough time, lets try somethin easier.

Try these stereograms. Find the 3D image within these 2D images.

Shan2nu
I have been trying to find out..but cannot make out the 3D image which you are talking about. Can you post the same picture with the 3D image marked.
heavy_foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2007, 12:03   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been trying to find out..but cannot make out the 3D image which you are talking about. Can you post the same picture with the 3D image marked.
It can't be marked, you have to figure it out yourself. Idea is to focus a little ahead of the image, so that the pixels on the image get overlapped. That lets you see the 3d image inside.

Keep your figer close to your eyes and focus on the computer monitor, you'll see 2 images of you fingers, thats the double vision you need to use to get the 3d image out.

Shan2nu
Old 16th December 2007, 22:10   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
It can't be marked, you have to figure it out yourself. Idea is to focus a little ahead of the image, so that the pixels on the image get overlapped. That lets you see the 3d image inside.

Keep your figer close to your eyes and focus on the computer monitor, you'll see 2 images of you fingers, thats the double vision you need to use to get the 3d image out.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu, even Im not able to make out the stuff inside that pic. Can you please tell me some other way of figuring out where the rings\heart\smiley is?
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2007, 23:20   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Shan2nu, even Im not able to make out the stuff inside that pic. Can you please tell me some other way of figuring out where the rings\heart\smiley is?
These things can't be taught, you just need to try n get it yourself.

Ok try this.

Keep the mouse pointer on the image and focus in such a way that you see 2 pointers, now hold that focus and move your attention onto the image. You should be able to get it.

Shan2nu