Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2007, 19:25   #46
BHPian
 
sreenivass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bangalore India
Posts: 872
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Congrats Abhi. My elder son's favorite sleeping place used to be car. May be your daughter has the same enthusiasm towards cars and touring like you have. Have loads of fun.
sreenivass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2007, 19:31   #47
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,515
Thanked: 7,189 Times
Default

Congrats Akroy! I am sure she will inherit your travelogue writing skills
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2007, 19:34   #48
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,042
Thanked: 13,487 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Surprisingly baby stopped to cry when I took her into the car on Monday on the way back home. Is this the effect of the nandihills, ooty, bandipur, coorg, and the small drives here n there which she did in her mother's womb? Well, time will tell...
Ah, new father, so much to learn. Yesterday my one year old slept through the horrible road between mudigere and Charmadi ghats, it was like a swing to him. Infants sleep much better in cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Once she is 10 months you can get set ready to take her on long drive by air or road Air travel highly not recomanded within 10 months.
That's not true. My son first travelled from Newyork to Bangalore while he was less than 3 months, and back again few months later. Infants sleep well on flights because of the constant engine hum. I have seen lots of infants fly internationally while less than 6 months old. There is no ill effect. However, it is really draining on the parents, long flights with small babies is really crazy experience.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2007, 19:58   #49
BHPian
 
Ali G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bombay
Posts: 101
Thanked: Once
Default

Congratulations Abhi. Must be a beautiful feeling being a father
Ali G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2007, 20:35   #50
BHPian
 
sreenivass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bangalore India
Posts: 872
Thanked: 6 Times
Default I think it depends on the child too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Ah, new father, so much to learn. Yesterday my one year old slept through the horrible road between mudigere and Charmadi ghats, it was like a swing to him. Infants sleep much better in cars.

That's not true. My son first travelled from Newyork to Bangalore while he was less than 3 months, and back again few months later. Infants sleep well on flights because of the constant engine hum. I have seen lots of infants fly internationally while less than 6 months old. There is no ill effect. However, it is really draining on the parents, long flights with small babies is really crazy experience.
I have seen different behaviors in my two children. The elder one always liked to sleep in cars and was noisy in flight. My younger son used to get very irritated in car while young. It was a pain to take him out in car, it changed once he crossed about 1.5 years.
sreenivass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2007, 23:28   #51
Senior - BHPian
 
kuttapan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,155
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Congrats Abhi...btw, I am a one month old papa !!
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2007, 23:49   #52
BHPian
 
CorsaLove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 387
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Congrats Abhi. I'm sure she will inherit the travel bug in you.
CorsaLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2007, 07:13   #53
Senior - BHPian
 
akroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Francisco, CA, USA
Posts: 2,414
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That's not true. My son first travelled from Newyork to Bangalore while he was less than 3 months, and back again few months later. Infants sleep well on flights because of the constant engine hum. I have seen lots of infants fly internationally while less than 6 months old. There is no ill effect. However, it is really draining on the parents, long flights with small babies is really crazy experience.
THanks Samurai, I have plans to send the baby to Kolkata when she will be in her 3rd month. I began to worry after the post from Ravi. Now feeling better.
Otherwise, 2 nights in a train can be to much for the kid as well as mom.

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2007, 15:17   #54
Senior - BHPian
 
speedmiester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,295
Thanked: 775 Times
Default

congrats abhi.
202020
speedmiester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2007, 16:23   #55
BANNED
 
mclaren1885's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore (the city of modded cars) !!
Posts: 4,821
Thanked: 28 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

Congrats Abhi. 202020202020.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2007, 18:08   #56
Senior - BHPian
 
pjbiju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)
Posts: 1,167
Thanked: 433 Times
Default

Congratulations Abhi Dada. I just got back from vacation and saw this news. So now you have a valid reason to travel around - to show off the world to your little one!
pjbiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2007, 19:59   #57
Senior - BHPian
 
vivekiny2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: cincinnati, jabalpur,chennai
Posts: 1,241
Thanked: 163 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
THanks Samurai, I have plans to send the baby to Kolkata when she will be in her 3rd month. I began to worry after the post from Ravi. Now feeling better.
Otherwise, 2 nights in a train can be to much for the kid as well as mom.

Abhi
remember ears popping on the flights while ascending and descending? it's too much for the newborns. can cause ear infections too.

make sure she keeps suckling (I guess even a pacifier will do) thruout the trip.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2007, 21:25   #58
BHPian
 
Proxima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 801
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
remember ears popping on the flights while ascending and descending? it's too much for the newborns. can cause ear infections too.

make sure she keeps suckling (I guess even a pacifier will do) thruout the trip.
Travel is not adviced for infants because of the infection that they may get when a nearby person sneezes or something as trivial as that. Or say, if someone nearby has a "madras eye".

Dont let the little one travel for 10 months unless absolutely required. My 2 paisa.
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2007, 00:28   #59
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,042
Thanked: 13,487 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
make sure she keeps suckling (I guess even a pacifier will do) thruout the trip.
This part is true, in fact the air-hostess will instruct you about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Travel is not adviced for infants because of the infection that they may get when a nearby person sneezes or something as trivial as that. Or say, if someone nearby has a "madras eye".

Dont let the little one travel for 10 months unless absolutely required. My 2 paisa.
That's a luxury not everybody can afford. Infants are lot more resilient than we think, after two kids I have stopped being paranoid. When the first one was born, we used to sterilize everything he used to come across. With the second one, even the cereal bowl gets a normal rinse under the tap water before the meal.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2007, 00:38   #60
Senior - BHPian
 
vivekiny2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: cincinnati, jabalpur,chennai
Posts: 1,241
Thanked: 163 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This part is true, in fact the air-hostess will instruct you about it.
and this part may not be true .

From my experience with the air staff, they are not only ignorant, but sometimes rude about infants' needs.

Quote:
That's a luxury not everybody can afford.
yup, we travelled by air twice by the time he was 10 months. had to. for that matter, one can sneeze near your little one in a shopping mall too. small risks we need to take in life.

besides, the more you sterilize them, the less immunity they buildup over the years.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mettalic sunlight copper DDiS comes home to papa ddis_dude Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 22 5th May 2010 15:56
akroy & mail4ajo: "Let's go to Kolkata" - The Meet - December 2008 planet_rocker The Team-BHP Meet Section 57 29th December 2008 18:10
Happy Birthday - Akroy snaronikar Shifting gears 38 15th April 2008 08:26
Evo6 Is A Papa!! V-16 Shifting gears 51 20th December 2007 12:36
Happy Birthday @ akroy planet_rocker Shifting gears 17 14th April 2007 12:44


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:49.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks