Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 7th January 2008, 00:06   #31
BHPian

sounds like they need some speedbreakers on that road. other than a regular police patrol, thats the only way to stop people speeding

someone once told me thats what they used to do in Calcutta quite a few years back - every time there was a major accident on a road, they would build a speedbreaker there. not sure if its true though
jaibir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008, 00:51   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

I heard that he was not high!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaibir View Post
sounds like they need some speedbreakers on that road. other than a regular police patrol, thats the only way to stop people speeding
Then most of the speeding people would become flying people!

Its the ONLY (Although Sanghu is there, its almost out of city) good piece of road in TVM city, and its only half a km in length. Is it so hard for police to monitor?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008, 05:08   #33
Senior - BHPian

@Sankar
The accident took place at around 7pm y'day night..

The Swift does have a good safety rating doesnt it.. Although it was pure luck he got away with it, the fact that the car is kinda safe also helps.

According to the driver, the car was doing about 120ish and ran over the small divider onto the opp side and the car toppled onto its side. The front wheel flew off right then, and the car crash into the oncoming Innova. The bystanders rushed, got the car back on 4wheels (2actually as the other 2were off the car) and had to pull him outta the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I heard that he was not high!
We know who the person is and that he was high as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
The current show off trend here on this road has started only after the CCD started their business here is what me think.
The trend started ever since the road was made as it is now which was before CCD came... And boy on sundays u get to see pretty much everything from stunts to drags.

Last edited by karthik247 : 7th January 2008 at 05:13.
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008, 09:27   #34
Senior - BHPian

It seems to be just another horror story of the swift EPS. so this is the fifth one i've heard of where the EPS decides that you need to turn slightly more faster than your insticts .

Saw the car yester day night. It was so scary man. The front bumper side was damaged with the left front wheen hanging. The rear left wheel was smashed and the car was limping on two tyres.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008, 09:46   #35
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaibir View Post

someone once told me thats what they used to do in Calcutta quite a few years back - every time there was a major accident on a road, they would build a speedbreaker there. not sure if its true though
i dont see the point of speed breakers, it just worsens congestion. anyway, today's cars take only a few seconds to go back to 120kmph after slowing down for a speed breaker. I know, cos thats what I do. those chicanes that are used on kerala roads just add fun to otherwise boring straights.

to control idiots like me, you need a good police presence and radar guns that document what speed I'm doing so that the fine can be hiked proportionately.
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008, 10:00   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247 View Post
The trend started ever since the road was made as it is now which was before CCD came... And boy on sundays u get to see pretty much everything from stunts to drags.

I have to disagree here. I've been riding on the Tvm city roads since 1995 (and before that bicycling) and this show off trend was not there atleast till 2002 (that's when i left tvm).

There was a horrific crash during around 97/98 (don't remember exactly) when Ramaswamy got killed at the La Pastrie junction when he Tboned a Jeep. But that was a part of a 'bet' race from Eastfort area to kowdiar palace gate.

Rajbhavan road was not a hangout till the Nikitas et etc came up. Before that it was Ambrosia and later the building owner restricted the guys "hanging out" there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
to control idiots like me, you need a good police presence and radar guns that document what speed I'm doing so that the fine can be hiked proportionately.
Fine or the fees? For using their speed measurement service

Last edited by Sankar : 7th January 2008 at 10:02.
Sankar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008, 10:02   #37
BHPian

saw the car'spic on news paper.Its totalled.Except for pillars on right side(i think it has saved the driver) every other portion of car is bent,Two tyres of left side are lying apart with right side tyres bent inside.Surely its result of insane speeds!!
crazybiker46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008, 10:20   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Thats sad. What type of road is the kawdiar road? City or highway?
Its inside city but clean four lane road about 1.5 kms always tempting anyone to go fast..

here are some pics of the road

crazybiker46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008, 12:07   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
It seems to be just another horror story of the swift EPS. so this is the fifth one i've heard of where the EPS decides that you need to turn slightly more faster than your insticts .
I am curious. How is EPS responsible for this crash?
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008, 12:21   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybiker46 View Post
here are some pics of the road
Wow !! Those roads look awesome.

Sorry for going OT
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008, 12:25   #41
Team-BHP Support

Thats a lovely road. Without taking away anything from the bad decisions that led to this accident, if roads like this were the norm rather than the exception thruout this country would there be fewer urges for vehicles to be driven rashly.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008, 14:07   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
If the car did not have airbags then the driver is extremely lucky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
If someone comes out of a punny alto after colliding head on with KSRTC bus with just a broken nose mean that Alto is also very safe or would u call it luck..??
Your question has already been answered my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithimas View Post
Are you even aware of how the EPS system on a Swift works? It does not work above 60kmph. Any speed above 60kmph is under total manual control and not under EPS control.

Last edited by vikram_d : 7th January 2008 at 14:22.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008, 14:41   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Today i saw both the Swift and the Innova lying near the pattom Traffic control center. I took a good look at both the vehicles.

And the accident proves my theories of the Innova having very good crumple zones.

The front left part of the Swift made contact with the front right part of the Innova. The respective fenders of both the vehicles are destroyed. The Innova's front part has crumpled more than that of the swift (as i've guessed even before i saw the crashed vehicles). I also noted that the subframe of the Swift is kind of not damaged much.

The driver was lucky that Swift's right side was not hit directly in this accident. If there was a passenger in the seat and if he was not wearing a seatbelt then there's a good chance of the passenger getting killed in this accident.

The Innova is being towed away as i write this.
Old 7th January 2008, 14:50   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I took a good look at both the vehicles.....

The Innova is being towed away as i write this.
And you didnt click a single pic?!
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008, 14:57   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
And you didnt click a single pic?!
I'm a cave man and i use a Nokia 1110.