Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 8th January 2008, 22:46   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I think a very small percentage of tbhpians are 18 and below.

Maybe few, but there are. And there are members from Trivandrum, I believe.
burnt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 22:53   #77
BHPian

oh man that is one lucky escape for the dude in the swift and sure glad that no one in the innova was hurt...

one flying squad in front of ccd should really cut down on these sort of incidents happening in the days to come.
deathwalkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2008, 13:05   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
So why put those stock tyres there in the first place? Or better still, why not discontinue the EPS on lower end variants that have those stock tyres?

Sometimes I think that in our effort to "protect" our brands, we lose the bigger picture.

If EPS is there on a car, why should someone need to upgrade their tyres for it to be "effective"?

Here we go again........

Why would that be needed for normal, sane, day to day driving? Is it to test how far the stock car can go before you lose control - and then try to keep it marginally under on the public roads?
Well you know what the automobile scene is like over here. Everybody wants mileage and our automobile company's are only too happy to oblige with undersized tyres.

This being said you can drive very safely in a vehicle with undersized tyres and EPS. It's only whether a driver chooses to do that or not.

Do you really call driving at 100+ plus speeds on a city road sane driving? I recommended track days so that even if a person decides to drive in an unsafe fashion inside the city then he/she should be aware of what their vehicle is capable of and what its limits are.
vikram_d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2008, 13:12   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Do you really call driving at 100+ plus speeds on a city road sane driving?
Nope! And I wasn't referring to this particular incident
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2008, 13:44   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Anybody know what caused the vehicle to jump over the median?
Yes, the wire connecting the driver's brain to it's power supply came loose.
What else can cause such an accident on a CITY ROAD?

-- Torqy
Torqy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2008, 20:20   #81
BHPian

No. Torqy, you were too generous to have assumed that the nut had a brain!
Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2008, 23:31   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
No. Torqy, you were too generous to have assumed that the nut had a brain!
You'll be surprised to know how many TVM-bhp'ians who have spoken in this thread have taken 100+ on that road!

Anybody living here who hasnt?

To be frank- I think he ran out of luck, while some of us may still have it!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2008, 23:45   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
You'll be surprised to know how many TVM-bhp'ians who have spoken in this thread have taken 100+ on that road!

I doubt. And am sure some must've been under the influence also at some point in their lives while doing so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy

-- Torqy
A lot of other variables also could contribute to it.

It's easy to criticise someguy who cause an accident without even knowing what made him jump across the divider. It could be due to some errant two-wheeler or a jaywalking pedestrian.

Since he caused the accident and since he was under the influence everybody is upon him.

I'm in no way justifying his behaviour or speeding inside the city or drunken driving. But such a thing could happen to anybody on this forum.

Last edited by Sankar : 11th January 2008 at 23:53.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2008, 00:16   #84
BHPian

Quote:

Exactly, some people here sound like saints. I'll be really surprised if any tvm-BHPian hasn't taken such speeds on that stretch. But I hear wise words from some of them now.

Last edited by burnt. : 12th January 2008 at 00:21.
burnt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2008, 00:42   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

I still stick to my earlier observation that a lot of showoffs just try to go faster to show off in front of CCD & Juice shop. And these days i generally slow down there just because of this. I don't want to be stereotyped.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2008, 01:09   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
This is India. We have dogs, jaywalkers, cyclists, unmarked stones falling off the median, cows, snakes, beggars, drunks, vehicles coming down the wrong side, vehicles with their lights off, and the list just won't end.

BTW, does anyone have concrete proof that he was drunk? Seems to me that nothing brings out the preachy hypocrite in people like a young (allegedly high) guy in a flashy car who's crashed at (allegedely high) speeds.

Suman, yes, here we go again. Yes, it is to test how far the car can go. Imagine doing 130 on an NH somewhere, and not knowing that dabbing the brakes in a curve, which may seem natural, could get you killed. Just today a DBHPian told me that FWDs will lose it more easily around a corner than RWDs.

Ok since it's late and I'm young, I'm off on a high-speed drive.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2008, 01:55   #87
BHPian

Thumbs up

Well, however it happened is not to be speculated, but the GUY has been really lucky that day. Can anybody get any more info on how it happened, & stop all the speculation here.

CHEERS,
G D
P180V1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2008, 05:33   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How many people do u know who have not done 100+ on that road?? It may not be safe but still everyone does it... Besides, is there any tbhpian on this forum with a decent car or bike who has not done that speed on that road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
It's easy to criticise someguy who cause an accident without even knowing what made him jump across the divider. It could be due to some errant two-wheeler or a jaywalking pedestrian.
That could have been a possibility, but not in this case. This guy just lost control of the car.

The turn near the juice shop is pretty dangerous esp while goin from Kawdiar to Vellayambalam. The turn suddenly tightens up. This is most noticeable on a car cuz u feel u can take it easily, but its not the case.

Last edited by Mpower : 12th January 2008 at 21:42. Reason: On Request
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2008, 11:52   #89
BHPian

I agree with Sankar. I have done a 114 on my digital speed on my Bull 500 yesterday night on that stretch, to test my new carb. But it was on 11:30pm, on a clear road, I was able to see the stretch from Juice shop to Kowdiar square. I am not saying I am wise, but I did it on a safe stretch, wihtout any 'influence' and with all my senses making my mind as a test rider. I was not racing with someone and I was almost alone on that road (I saw only two other vehicles on that stretch, usually by that time that stretch is clear).

But what is bad, is we see many guys on bikes and cars doing stupid driving and racing on peak traffic times. Zig-zag driving both cars and bikes, overtaking through both sides of a vehicle etc. Last week, while I was driving (was doing a 60-70 kmph) and I saw a white swift with big alloys and twin exhaust pipes ahead of me going very slow. Sankar was infront of my riding his bull. As I aproached him, suddenly he downshifted and started to race. I think the driver was waiting for someone and he thought I was aproaching him to race. The next seen I saw was he doing some crazy driving, overtaking some vehicles through left as well as right, scaring every vehicle on that road.

I have seen this while I am riding too. I am running on loud pipes (Goldstar Exhaust) and whenever I pass some one on a Pulsar / ZMA or that kind of bikes, they start racing with me, especially in that stretch. I am an old guy with a bull and please don't do it with me . Roads are not for racing...
redfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2008, 13:36   #90
Senior - BHPian

Redfire.
No offence but please don't try such speeds at night on a bike. Thats all i can say.

On Indian roads expect the unexpected.

I'm not trying to be a saint but i know how it feels to live a second life.!!
kpzen is online now   Reply With Quote