Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2008, 23:01   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
Nitin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,301
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
May the doctors soul rest in peace.

Car manufacturers should put a irritating buzzer when seat belt is not engaged.
Thats exactly what I mentioned. Some cars come with a more pleasing tone,while some get so irritating it makes you mad. It should be a standard fixture on all the new cars!
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2008, 23:08   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
ramie2400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,900
Thanked: 57 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post

Car manufacturers should put a irritating buzzer when seat belt is not engaged.
I second on that with you.

may the doctor's soul RIP
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2008, 23:10   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
BUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,130
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
The red light in the dash is irritating enough for me to buckle up.
How many look at the instrument panel while driving? Very few. Its there in my Optra too. It blinks when seat belt is not used.

BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2008, 23:45   #19
BHPian
 
jaibir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 317
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
Why is that we need the Govt to step in for everything .... As educated ppl -- and Im guessing being a doctor the deceased was also educated , why didn't he wear seat belts . In such cases instead of blaming others only the concerned person can be blamed .

Govt has rules regarding helmets even ... travel through the country and you will see that 70% of the ppl don't wear helmets !! So let them suffer with head injuries as and when they happen -- and maybe from that their near and dear ones may learn to wear proper helmets !!!

May the deceased RIP !!!

But then there is one place where seat belts SHOULD NOT BE MANDATORY and thats in the hills.
. Went through a defensive driving training once where the instructor explained in rather graphic detail what role the seatbelt and the collapsible steering collum play in a collision. the problem is most people don't really appreciate the safety aspects of a seat belt and see it as an irritiant

could you explain the bit about seat belts in hills? i haven't really driven in the hills so have no context on this
jaibir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2008, 23:58   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
ramie2400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,900
Thanked: 57 Times
Default

I dont have the belt warning in my getz prime:(
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2008, 00:29   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
rjstyles69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bengalooru..
Posts: 4,343
Thanked: 784 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
I dont have the belt warning in my getz prime:(
You don't really need when you know its the best thing to use for safety reasons.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2008, 00:31   #22
BHPian
 
HotChillyPepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bang_a_lore
Posts: 605
Thanked: 215 Times
Default

Finally Kerala Govt announced the plans for 4 line NH47 and NH17. hope this will reduce accidents to a great extend. Its not only your driving skills , but the place you select for speeding also plays an important role in Road safety. May his family could cop up with this tough situation and his soul could RIP .

Same time I have a doubt: I have a habit of coming out (Pull it behind my back, between me and the backrest) of the seatbelt layer which is linked to B pillar in long drives. Will it reduce the effect of wearing it ?

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 10th January 2008 at 00:36.
HotChillyPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2008, 01:19   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
vivekiny2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: cincinnati, jabalpur,chennai
Posts: 1,241
Thanked: 163 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Thats exactly what I mentioned. Some cars come with a more pleasing tone,while some get so irritating it makes you mad. It should be a standard fixture on all the new cars!
haven't you heard of a tiny little clip made specifically to insert in the belt socket to stop this sound? and another T-shirt which gives a false impression of a worn seat belt to fool cops.

who are they fooling?
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2008, 01:19   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
Nitin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,301
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
Finally Kerala Govt announced the plans for 4 line NH47 and NH17. hope this will reduce accidents to a great extend. Its not only your driving skills , but the place you select for speeding also plays an important role in Road safety. May his family could cop up with this tough situation and his soul could RIP .

Same time I have a doubt: I have a habit of coming out (Pull it behind my back, between me and the backrest) of the seatbelt layer which is linked to B pillar in long drives. Will it reduce the effect of wearing it ?
Absolutely!! Its as good as not wearing a seatbelt.
With most 3-point system seat belts,the belt that goes across your chest tightens on impact,and thats what hold you back. If not,you'd go head on into the steering column- total disaster!.
I'd recommend that you stop this habit. Its really risky,and the whole purpose of wearing a seatbelt is defeated.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2008, 01:23   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
vivekiny2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: cincinnati, jabalpur,chennai
Posts: 1,241
Thanked: 163 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Absolutely!! Its as good as not wearing a seatbelt.
With most 3-point system seat belts,the belt that goes across your chest tightens on impact,and thats what hold you back. If not,you'd go head on into the steering column- total disaster!.
I'd recommend that you stop this habit. Its really risky,and the whole purpose of wearing a seatbelt is defeated.
just realised the importance of educating people, in addition to giving the safety gadgets.

dude hotchilly, what were you thinking? it's like strapping the helmet on the handle bar and expecting it to save your skull.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2008, 01:28   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
govigov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cochin!!!!!
Posts: 1,271
Thanked: 382 Times
Default

seat belts are good for safety, but i have heard of incidents in which the victim cannot be rescued in time because the helpers were not able to unhook the seat belt.
govigov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2008, 01:45   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
Nitin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,301
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
haven't you heard of a tiny little clip made specifically to insert in the belt socket to stop this sound? and another T-shirt which gives a false impression of a worn seat belt to fool cops.

who are they fooling?
Vivek,I obviously know the use of that clip. And don't get me wrong,I didn't indicate that the noise irritates me when it keeps on going off.Its only when I stop,the car remains on and the seat belt has been unfastened- the alarm keeps going off. But it still indicates to me that the seatbelts are not in use,and before I start,I put the seatbelts back on.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2008, 02:10   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
vivekiny2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: cincinnati, jabalpur,chennai
Posts: 1,241
Thanked: 163 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Vivek,I obviously know the use of that clip. And don't get me wrong,
Oh No,

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Car manufacturers should put a irritating buzzer when seat belt is not engaged.
I meant this will not work because of the gadgets people devise to fool themselves.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2008, 02:20   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
Nitin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,301
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
I meant this will not work because of the gadgets people devise to fool themselves.
The 1st thing many would do,is to get the sensor for the seatbelt removed.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2008, 04:54   #30
BANNED
 
khaadu75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: same as the proposed venue for F1 ;-)
Posts: 1,154
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaibir View Post
could you explain the bit about seat belts in hills? i haven't really driven in the hills so have no context on this
Its slightly confusing but the things is that accidents can be divided into 2 types -- head on collision and going of the road !!

Head on Collision --- Speeds in the hills are lower than what we experience in the plains . There obviously will be a few fools who come around corners faster than they should , and chances are that the person doing so would be a city driver . So probability of head on collisions is lower . Even if there is a head on , it would happen at much lower speeds and a seat belt may not have a major impact on saving a life . Thats why seat belts aint that imp ( according to me )

Going of the Road -- In the city a car doing high speeds goes over the divider on the road and into a pole . The seat belt can play an imp role and save one from injury !!! In the hills going of the road means going of and rolling and that could even be at the speed of 20 kmph ( driver dozing of ) . In such a scenario the life of the passengers is entirely in the hands of God -- one could get stuck inside the car and roll 300 ft down and survive or then maybe get thrown out and still die . When one rolls , there is no fixed pattern and impact that one may experience . With the seat belts on the passengers will stay with the car till it stops rolling but without seat belts there is a chance that they might get thrown out and survive . Thats why seat belts shudn't be compulsory in the hills , infact I make sure none of my friends wear seat belts or even lock the doors unless there is a child in the vehicle . Closed doors could have the same effect as seat belts on .

Complicated but true .... !!
khaadu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reliance Autozone/ V-Kool - Disastrous service + Damage to Car + Sheer Negligence! Speeding@160mph Modifications & Accessories 56 6th June 2012 09:08
Consumer court and Veterinary doctor negligence, what are the options tsk1979 Shifting gears 35 14th September 2010 19:31
Skoda dealership == "Utter negligence and milking the compelled customer" sinhsha Indian Car Dealerships 48 5th February 2009 17:05
Another accident due to negligence of Authorities Sabareesh Street Experiences 9 3rd July 2008 15:46
Car Crash in Kerala - 5 Lifes lost on the spot Superleggera Shifting gears 16 2nd December 2007 16:29


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:42.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks