Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 10th January 2008, 21:59   #46
Senior - BHPian

well if you want the govt to make it mandatory for the car makers to put a buzzer , it aint going to work.

I say - the car should not start until the seat belt is in place , ofcourse we would have to devise ways to get past Khaadu's technology to fool the sensors
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2008, 22:37   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
well if you want the govt to make it mandatory for the car makers to put a buzzer , it aint going to work.

I say - the car should not start until the seat belt is in place , ofcourse we would have to devise ways to get past Khaadu's technology to fool the sensors
all you need is just the seat belt buckle with no strap attached. plug it in and you're off.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2008, 23:10   #48
Senior - BHPian

Funny thing is..there are so many ways to get past wearing seatbelts. I've seen many of my relatives drive around without their seatbelts on,and these are highly qualified/educated individuals. The last time I was in India,I made it a point to tell each one of them about how important those seatbelts are,and that its been put there for a reason. Couple of them laughed,some sneered and some took notice and began to wear seatbelts. Turns up, 1-2 of those who mocked at me,ended up getting into accidents & they sustained the typical injuries associated with not wearing seatbelts.
Lesson learnt, and the message gets passed on effectively.
Guess some people prefer to learn things the hard way. Just hope that the lesson doesn't prove to be too costly..taking away lives.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2008, 23:18   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
How many look at the instrument panel while driving? Very few. Its there in my Optra too. It blinks when seat belt is not used.

At least saves a few who do. How could anyone drive without looking at the instrument panel ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
Not necessary to get it removed .... do what I do when in the hills -- like i mentioned above , I never wear seat belts when in the hills !!! Before getting into the seat simple clip the seat belt into its slot and the light wil stay off . After that u sit normally .... the seat belt is between your back and the seat and the light stays of

I hope I managed explaining it ....
This is typical of our attitude, just fool around & avoid safety precautions because we think that nothing can happen to the brilliant us.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 10th January 2008 at 23:29.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2008, 23:32   #50
Senior - BHPian

One step further, maybe we should keep our doors open & fool the alarms by keeping our fingers pressed on the door switches & drive in the plains, this will give our cars greater momentum & save our lives too. why didn't any car maker think of that ?
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2008, 00:14   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower View Post
Well, My friend fools his mercedes seat belt not on warning light by putting in small cardboard pieces in the slot.
he owns a mec and he can't buy a new clip?
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2008, 01:17   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
One step further, maybe we should keep our doors open & fool the alarms by keeping our fingers pressed on the door switches & drive in the plains, this will give our cars greater momentum & save our lives too. why didn't any car maker think of that ?
..imagine doing that! And of course,fooling every single aspect the car has to offer.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2008, 01:59   #53
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
This is typical of our attitude, just fool around & avoid safety precautions because we think that nothing can happen to the brilliant us.
Its got nothing to do with avoiding safety precautions or being confident that nothing will happen to us ...... seems you missed my entire stand on this issue !! In the cities or plains where speeds are much higher I wear my seat belt 100% of the time but its in the hills that I don't wear them and I've explained why .

Sorry if I havn't managed explaining properly ....
khaadu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2008, 03:17   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Sorry if I havn't managed explaining properly ....
I think instead of "being thrown out" you should have said "jump out and escape". more of a psychological thing i guess, you feel safe when you know there is a escape route.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2008, 06:43   #55
Awaiting Email Confirmation

jumping out of a car might work if its doing 20kmph max. any faster, and you are in trouble. you would need superhuman reflexes and decision making to find and land in a soft spot while the car is swerving and bouncing out of control.

give up khadu
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2008, 07:11   #56
Senior - BHPian

May he RIP. But you don't expect such things from doctors of all the people.
straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2008, 07:46   #57
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
May he RIP. But you don't expect such things from doctors of all the people.
straight 6, doctors are human too. they make mistakes like everyone else.
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2008, 11:09   #58
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
jumping out of a car might work if its doing 20kmph max. any faster, and you are in trouble. you would need superhuman reflexes and decision making to find and land in a soft spot while the car is swerving and bouncing out of control.

give up khadu
I never said that one could jump out ... what I mean is that when you start to roll you are in the hands of the person called ' GOD ' and he wants to save you by throwing you out but you can't allow him that as you've used the seat belt to stay harnessed in .

I NEVER GIVE IN
Old 11th January 2008, 11:16   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IIn the cities or plains where speeds are much higher I wear my seat belt 100% of the time but its in the hills that I don't wear them and I've explained why .
Khaadu is absolutely right,i have seen some very good hillside drivers saying this also.

the argument they give is

in case of any slide on hillside,you might have 2-3 secs to bail out of the car and of course it will be almost impossible to get rid of fastened seat belts.
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2008, 11:21   #60
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
Khaadu is absolutely right,.
.. FINALLY someone agrees to the funda and thats only coz sunny must be having friends who live in the real mountains .

This is like a thread a while ago where I said driving in the hills is safer & quicker at night and most of the ppl here thought I was being stupid and naive

Cheers