Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 11th January 2008, 11:11   #16
BHPian

Even after the Hike we will get fleeced.
The auto guys in Bangy are so atuned to cheating that a mere hike in fare wont make them mend their ways.
As I see it auto guys are demanding a legal right to commit daylight robbery.
May god help us.
sqwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2008, 11:29   #17
BHPian

I have no sympathy for the auto wallahs. 1 out of 3 are cheats and their meters are tampered. Then, they have the nerve to ask for more money.

Some are so rude and sometimes spoil the entire event when you're going out shopping or for some work. I'd rather take my car than negotiate with an auto fellow.

It's time they learnt some decency.
sydras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2008, 11:40   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Its bloody robbery. !!
Today moring my wife wanted to go to her office located near Koramangala Sony World Junction, the autowala in Airport Road demanded Rs.120 !!! Its exactly 7 KM from my home and he demanded almost 3 times the normal fare! Dont know what more to comment..Let Nanos rule the roads..Atleast a few can get rid of these morons
menonrajesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2008, 11:47   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Its bloody robbery. !!
Today morning my wife wanted to go to her office located near Koramangala Sony World Junction, the autowala in Airport Road demanded Rs.120 !!! Its exactly 7 KM from my home and he demanded almost 3 times the normal fare! Dont know what more to comment..Let Nanos rule the roads..Atleast a few can get rid of these morons
menonrajesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2008, 12:16   #20
BHPian

Do Auto drivers in Bangalore even go by meter readings? Whenever I've taken an auto (try to do so as rarely as possible) they just demand a flat fare up front or refuse to ply.

Last edited by ajitkommini : 11th January 2008 at 12:17.
ajitkommini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2008, 13:37   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
I wish this to happen every day. :-)
First let them do it for a single day (24 hrs) properly. I believe today's auto strike is only till 6pm. Also, we are likely to see autos in the suburban areas well before this time.
sreenidhibr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2008, 13:58   #22
PVS
BHPian

Do Bangalore autos have disgital meters?
If no, is there any initiative from the State Government/ Transport Department to make digital meters compulsolsary on all autos?

The auto guys will initially raise a hue & cry, go on strike, dharna, burn effigies, block traffic etc. But, if the State Government is committed and so is the travelling public, the auto guys will have no option but to install digital meters, which incidentally are supposed to be tamper free.

Here, in Hyderabad the stubborn auto drivers had to finally relent and affix digital meters.
PVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2008, 14:18   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenidhibr View Post
First let them do it for a single day (24 hrs) properly. I believe today's auto strike is only till 6pm. Also, we are likely to see autos in the suburban areas well before this time.

A wonderfull sight on the roads today hazzle free driving less traffic
there is so much of peace on road, Autowalas please continue your strike for one more week please . ...
praJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2008, 14:22   #24
BHPian

Drive to office was such a breeze today, but did manage to spot some autos with large karnataka flags fleeting around the streets.They were going in a group. It was the usual "You go, i will keep my leg out and stick it up your rear fender" auto towing style. Man , these guys are such a nuisance.
redrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2008, 15:55   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
Drive to office was such a breeze today.
Tell me about it! It was just unbelievable. Just imagine what a good public transport system could have done...even better situation! Damn, evening drive is not going to be the same though.

However, I personally feel that auto prices should be increased a bit. I was talking to one of the rickshaw driver and he said that with LPG at Rs36-37 its not sustainable to have Rs 12 as minimum fare. But to Rs 20? Thats too steep
But as someone said, these days drivers hardly charge on meter basis.
kvish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2008, 15:57   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVS View Post
Do Bangalore autos have disgital meters?
If no, is there any initiative from the State Government/ Transport Department to make digital meters compulsolsary on all autos?
Some of them do have digital meters here but they have found ways to tamper them as well.

Its not that hard to tamper an auto meter any ways, a mere switch of a fly wheel would do it and you dont even have to open the meter up.
sqwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2008, 23:02   #27

Most of them tamper their meters and now why do these guys want a hike. Iam sure if they can be good to the customers with proper meter fare they can end up making really good money. But most of them fail to understand this and charge more and harass the public too much. IT is also one of the reason for the same in bangalore. I remember visiting bangalore 10 years back and except during the night nobody used to ask for 1.5 or 2 times the fare. Now even during the day time these guys demand fixed fare like 100 / 200 rupees. They feel that if the guys are making more money, they can pay more too.

Government should try & abolish the autos and get Nano or any other mode of vehicle for the public commuting. Then only the pollution level will come down and the roads will be free to drive.
kalaks2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2008, 08:20   #28
BHPian

Thumbs down Were they any good before !?!

Only once I have been to Bangy and I had had the time of my life. I paid bloody 100 rupees in night at 10.30 PM to go to HSR from Forum Mall. Which isn't even 5 Kms. Heck.

The next day, my friend requested a diversion through one of the parellal road of NGV and they asked me 10 bucks extra for the same distance. Time 9.30 PM. Then and there I decided, I am never accepting a job in Bangalore.

PS: Worst that I heard about them was after I joined another job elsewhere. Somebody working for HP wanted to go to office and went to an Auto. Instead of normal 100 odd rs., they asked 250 rs. Reason : You work for HP and get it reimbursed. So pay us. Last but not the least, he gave him 300 Rs. and got back nothing; why because he works for HP.

Damn Bangalore Autowallas!
given2fly is offline   Reply With Quote