Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 1st April 2009, 13:02   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
1) I am paying approx. 45k per year for all three for 21 years for a cover of 8 lakh each for me & wife

You should pay for 1 more year before stopping payments.

If you pay at least three yearly premiums, then you get "some" part of money back.

Beyond 3 years, cut your losses and start investing somewhere else.

And DO BUY a term policy for:

1. Yourself
2. Your Wife (if she is working and files IT returns)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
2) Mediclaim policy - 8000 for all (2 lakh each for me & wife & 1 lakh for kid)ld discontinue the same and invest in mutual funds and also take term policy.
Thats a decision that should be taken with complete analysis. Do not take it lightly.

Thinking is, if you are around 30 and are in good health then it might be better to invest instead of buying insurance.

But it requires strong financial discipline.

If you keep investing 8000 every year and keep it earmarked for medical expanses, you will build a corpus much larger then 2 lakh.

This will help you around age of 60 when someone actually needs to think about medical expenses.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 13:04   #17
BHPian

Post Planning for Health Insurance

Hi,

I currently do not have a health insurance. I've a family of total 5 including 1yr daughter. Parents are above 60.

I'm planning to take a Term insurance next month. There is no Medi-claim in my company.

Should I opt for a health insurance now?

What type of Health Insurance I should opt for?

What should be the ideal coverage? What all things to take care of before finalizing on a health policy?

Lastly which Health insurance brands gives maximum coverage and less premium that I can opt for?

Thanks..

Last edited by rudrah : 1st April 2009 at 13:05.
rudrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 15:19   #18
BHPian

i have taken floater(2+2) health policy from icici lombard for 3 lac cover i paid 5600/- .. how good is icici in honouring claims any experience pls do share .thxns
rm_arjuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 21:58   #19
BHPian

I wanted to know what all criteria should I look for before buying a health insurance/mediclaim policy.

Any good policies to suggest ? How are ICICI Lombard , tata AIG and apollo DKV
niks_devil666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 12:45   #20
BHPian

Iam a planning to take a medi claim policy for my family(parents and wife)
My preference is maximum coverage and Fast cashless claim process.Should i go for private or govt providers?what are advantages and disadvantages of both.please do share

I had a bitter experience with corporate insurance which i have.So please suggest a good provider.
binoyb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2012, 22:57   #21
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Medical insurance - Which to choose?

Any recent medical insurance takers here ? . I am looking for a medical insurance for me and my parents , since parents are not covered in current org( although I am covered now ) .

Also , if you have 2 medical insurances ,one personal(self paid ) and one from company (employer paid) , in case of claim , can you claim from both the sides ?
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2016, 12:53   #22
Senior - BHPian

My friend's Mother was operated in a hospital. The total bill was 30,000 /-, He had medical insurance and applied for claim. He received only 9,000/- out of the total amount, we have asked for justification from medical insurance company, in the due time could anybody guide on how to proceed if we are not satisfied with the insurance company reply?
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2016, 13:57   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Also , if you have 2 medical insurances ,one personal(self paid ) and one from company (employer paid) , in case of claim , can you claim from both the sides ?
Not an expert, but as a patient I was advised by my insurance advisor to use only one medical insurance (between employer & personal medical insurance) as it gets messy if both are involved. Apparently the insurance companies will cover the sum insured on a proportional basis, but it will take a lot longer to get the reimbursement (and therefore may not be cashless unless you sit in the hospital waiting for them to sort things out) as they negotiate and try to reach a consensus on things like disallowed expenses, proportion based on sum insured, etc.

I was in fact told to not even bother to inform my personal insurer regarding my surgery since I will not be claiming from them. I also remember a question on the TPA form which asked "Do you have any other medical insurance?". I had called up the insurance advisor and she told me to answer "No".

Employer provided medical insurance is a group policy, therefore any claims on it will not affect you whereas any claims on a personal medical insurance will definitely affect the premium or the no claim bonus. So better to use the latter when one is out of a job and really needs it.
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2016, 16:03   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
I also remember a question on the TPA form which asked "Do you have any other medical insurance?". I had called up the insurance advisor and she told me to answer "No".
Please don't provide false information. Those will come to haunt you later on. These insurance advisors are just looking for quick sales and are least bothered about your well being. Most of the times, they themselves are ill informed as well.
Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2016, 21:22   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Please don't provide false information.
Right you are. But being truthful on the TPA form was the last thing on my mind as I checked myself in for surgery.
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2016, 22:53   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Any one having any experience of LIC medical insurance? I am little skeptical of private insurers.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2016, 14:50   #27
BHPian

I have a medical insurance for self and family from my employer. I would also like to take a personal medical insurance policy. We are a family of four (2 adults + 2 kids). Requesting suggestion for a good personal medical insurance policy.
airbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2016, 18:26   #28
BHPian

Hi airbus, take a look at Happy Family Floater Policy from Oriental Insurance. I got this for nearly 6 years now (apart from the company insurance) and am quite happy with their service, so long.
dkamath is offline   Reply With Quote