Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2011, 15:34   #1876
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: BANG-A-LURE.
Posts: 1,097
Thanked: 3,409 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Guys,

Any pointers for a good Benne Dosa joint in and around Frazer town/MG Road/Indira Nagar.
Happen to visit this joint near Ramiah Medical College for breakfast.

Very average stuff, nothing compared to the Sagar Benne Dosa stuff of Davangere.
Attached Thumbnails
A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore-img2011113000044.jpg  

A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore-img2011113000043.jpg  

SILVERWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 16:01   #1877
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 37
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Just back from DEGCHI in Banaswadi. Amazing grub at moderate prices. List of what we had (me+2) :
Tomato Soup
Chicken Soup - Ok
Highway Chicken - Must try
Paneer Tikka - Great and succulent, with huge chunks of paneer - done just right
Murg Makhni - Ok, was a bit sweet though
Keema Naan - For 120 bucks a naan, was a bit over priced i thought
Butter Naan
Butter Roti
Mushroom Curry - Nice
Jal Jeera - was too tangy

Total Damages - Can you believe it Rs 985 only. A must try place this side of the town. Only one other table was occupied, I dunno why more people were not in. Good food
amit.mishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 17:42   #1878
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 605
Thanked: 187 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

^ Degchi is overpriced IMO. Eg - 60/- for one palm-sized gobi parata!
WindRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 19:13   #1879
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,050
Thanked: 6,578 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Guys,

Any pointers for a good Benne Dosa joint in and around Frazer town/MG Road/Indira Nagar.
There is a Davangere Benne Dose joint in Bangalore

I've been to it a few times, but can't recollect the exact location. It's somewhere in Jayanagar/Baswangudi.

The dose they serve at this joint is 99.9% just like the ones you get in Davangere town.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 19:19   #1880
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,425
Thanked: 19,263 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

I think Vidyarthi Bhavan at gandhi bazaar and CTR in malleswaram has benne dose. Davangere ones I'm not sure.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 19:23   #1881
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,050
Thanked: 6,578 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

^^ CTR is arguably, the best place for a good masala-dosa, IMO. Nothing, not even the mad crowd on Sunday mornings, will stop me from getting up early and driving all the way from Indiranagar to Malleswaram just to get me a plate or two, of one of those.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 19:25   #1882
JVH
Senior - BHPian
 
JVH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,021
Thanked: 148 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Happen to visit this joint near Ramiah Medical College for breakfast.

Very average stuff, nothing compared to the Sagar Benne Dosa stuff of Davangere.
You can't go wrong with CTR, Malleshwaram. Its just off Margosa road opposite the playground. I forgot the cross number, maybe 5th?

P.S - Me and friends munch atleast 3 of them each along with 2 plates of Mysore bhajji
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 20:40   #1883
Senior - BHPian
 
addyhemmige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore/Hassan
Posts: 1,549
Thanked: 465 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
There is a Davangere Benne Dose joint in Bangalore

I've been to it a few times, but can't recollect the exact location. It's somewhere in Jayanagar/Baswangudi.

The dose they serve at this joint is 99.9% just like the ones you get in Davangere town.
Actually, you find Davanagere Benne Dose joints in every nook and corner of Bangalore nowadays. Not all are able to replicate the same taste though.

If it is near Basavanagudi, the one you are referring to (I think) is located at NR Colony, near Nettakallappa Circle. Is it the small 'hole in the wall' place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
You can't go wrong with CTR, Malleshwaram. Its just off Margosa road opposite the playground. I forgot the cross number, maybe 5th?

P.S - Me and friends munch atleast 3 of them each along with 2 plates of Mysore bhajji
CTR quality has come down a bit I guess. Is it just me or does anyone else feel the same? But it is still better than Vidhyarthi Bhavan Dosas (which I feel has gone down a lot)

Btw, CTR (Central Tiffin Room) or Shree Sagar (as it is now called) is located at the corner of 7th Cross and Margosa road in Malleshwaram. Its been long since I went there, have to plan a visit soon
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 20:51   #1884
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,529
Thanked: 8,458 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Btw, CTR (Central Tiffin Room) or Shree Sagar (as it is now called) is located at the corner of 7th Cross and Margosa road in Malleshwaram. Its been long since I went there, have to plan a visit soon

Did not realize the name change. So finally the sagar brigade has taken over!
The best way to locate the place is the cross road right next to the playground before 5th cross.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 20:55   #1885
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,050
Thanked: 6,578 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Did not realize the name change. So finally the sagar brigade has taken over!
The best way to locate the place is the cross road right next to the playground before 5th cross.
Or, once you reach the playground, look for a large group of people waiting on the pavements/road at the corner. It would be CTR.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 20:59   #1886
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,529
Thanked: 8,458 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Or, once you reach the playground, look for a large group of people waiting on the pavements/road at the corner. It would be CTR.
For many a times, I used to play at that ground, then goto CTR have dosa and then end up
at Janta (8th cross) to have Vada!
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 21:01   #1887
Senior - BHPian
 
addyhemmige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore/Hassan
Posts: 1,549
Thanked: 465 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Did not realize the name change. So finally the sagar brigade has taken over!
The best way to locate the place is the cross road right next to the playground before 5th cross.
Actually, IIRC the name was changed long back (before the 'sagar' trend even started). Probably the only other 'sagar' at that time was Shanti Sagar. Not sure though.

The board had 'Shree Sagar' written in Kannada and at the bottom, under the Kannada font, CTR was written in english in brackets.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 02:16   #1888
BHPian
 
Jeeper1941's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 229
Thanked: 353 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

I suddenly have a craving for benne dose

Just wondering if MTR (the original joint near Lalbagh) is worth a visit. They seem to have very restrictive timings and I've heard there are long wait times.

Also, has anyone been to Vidhyarthi Bhavan (in Basavanagudi) recently? The last time I was there was in 2007, we had to wait for about 20 min, but it was worth it. The dose was amazing! But I've also heard that the quality seems to have gone down over the years.
Jeeper1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 02:47   #1889
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,050
Thanked: 6,578 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper1941 View Post
I suddenly have a craving for benne dose

Just wondering if MTR (the original joint near Lalbagh) is worth a visit. They seem to have very restrictive timings and I've heard there are long wait times.

Also, has anyone been to Vidhyarthi Bhavan (in Basavanagudi) recently? The last time I was there was in 2007, we had to wait for about 20 min, but it was worth it. The dose was amazing! But I've also heard that the quality seems to have gone down over the years.
That is true.

MTR has become way to commercial. The quality of the food is still good, but it's missing that special something that it had several years ago. I think MTR is overrated now. There are several joints that serve great food at reasonable prices, and you don't have to wait for it either. Just my opinion.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 09:13   #1890
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 172
Thanked: 67 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Sai Ram Chats near MES College is average or gone worse. Its the adda of so many students and the quality of the chats are below average. Had Paani puri and Masala Puri, both were mediocre.
Blue_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai khanak Shifting gears 1136 26th October 2017 15:37
A Guide: Eating out in Chennai Proxima Shifting gears 601 12th February 2017 20:14
A Guide: Eating out in Pune abhijitaparadh Shifting gears 557 6th January 2017 02:10
A Guide: Eating out in Delhi/NCR tsk1979 Shifting gears 574 27th October 2016 10:14
A Guide: Eating out in Kolkata (Calcutta) planet_rocker Shifting gears 88 31st October 2015 12:50


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:16.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks