Old 6th January 2012, 07:56   #2026
BHPian

Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Any place around KR Puram ~5km radius for a romantic dinner? My GFs bday
akshay380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2012, 10:43   #2027
Senior - BHPian

Try the french cafe called C'est La Vie at 7 Hotel. It is quite nice.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2012, 15:09   #2028
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday I dined at Canton in Jayanagar. The popular 'Drums of Heaven' with garlic sauce is just mind blowing. But I did not like their second acclaimed dish, Taipei Chicken. It had too much onion in it.

The mushroom manchurian was also not to my liking. In other Chinese restaurants, they first coat the meat/vegetable in cornflour and deep fry it, and then make manchurian out of it. But at Canton, they had just stir-fried the mushrooms. Healthier, but not tasty.

Because I ate the whole plate of drums of heaven (I think 8 pieces) and then had the remaining garlic sauce with fried rice, my stomach is pretty bad today!
rohanjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2012, 12:22   #2029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeliej View Post
for marathahalli area please try our philaes hogg. the food is fantastic. restaurant theme is 'around the world in 80 days'. they serve conti Indian oriental food. it is on the top floor of yo China opp innovative and parking is available nearby. pricing is decent. the only downside is that it is not airconditioned.
Have eaten there many times. Decent place, love the interiors built as a train wagon. Seating is cramped because of this. Too noisy thanks to the Marthahalli traffic. Worth a visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Try the french cafe called C'est La Vie at 7 Hotel. It is quite nice.

What a co-incidence

I ate there yesterday. And I did not like it. Ordered a watermelon juice, which was all water and no melon . The rossito looked more like vomit, and tasted aweful. The chicken prawn wrap was the only saving grace. Tried the Goat Cheese in bread, portions of the cheese was not even melted, they were dry,chewy . Overall a bad experience. Plus there was noone than us in the restaurant at peak lunch time on a friday
mannubhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2012, 17:02   #2030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Have eaten there many times. Decent place, love the interiors built as a train wagon. Seating is cramped because of this. Too noisy thanks to the Marthahalli traffic. Worth a visit.

What a co-incidence

I ate there yesterday. And I did not like it. Ordered a watermelon juice, which was all water and no melon . The rossito looked more like vomit, and tasted aweful. The chicken prawn wrap was the only saving grace. Tried the Goat Cheese in bread, portions of the cheese was not even melted, they were dry,chewy . Overall a bad experience. Plus there was noone than us in the restaurant at peak lunch time on a friday
Looks like its gone down the drain then. Last I went there was over a year ago and the food was very decent
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2012, 19:39   #2031
BHPian

actually the philaes hogg restaurant theme is "around the world in 80 days". there is one section which is train section. there's another which is the end of a ship. there are wigwams from the American visit and scenes from a Chinese circus. there are maps as existed in those times. from the India visit there is a scene depicting the sati pyre. you should ask the manager there for a tour.

it belongs to a friend's husband hence i can give so many details.
Wheeliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2012, 22:57   #2032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeliej View Post
for marathahalli area please try our philaes hogg. the food is fantastic. restaurant theme is 'around the world in 80 days'. they serve conti Indian oriental food. it is on the top floor of yo China opp innovative and parking is available nearby. pricing is decent. the only downside is that it is not airconditioned.
phileas hogg has deteriorated in the past year.
we went there about 2 weekends ago.

the cutlery was dusty, and we had to request replacement twice we got clean plates.
flooring is chipping away and the wife got hurt.
the servers are lazy.
the washroom is dirty.
but the food is still good.

it is getting very difficult to get a good dining exp in Bangalore. It wasn't so earlier.

Even a place like Zuri (their rooftop restaurant) which charges serious money will have you feeling cheated. Food is good, but the service and experience is useless.
It was raining that evening and the roof above our table started dripping water. They shifted us to another table, and the roof above that table also started dripping after 20 min.

Pretty similar exp in Fortune as well; after bearing almost 45 min of shoddy service, I called over the hotel's F&B manager. Only then things got ok.

Punjab Grill, pricey place, but here's a twist. Good service but shoddy food, esp for that money.

I can go on and on.
If one wants just good food, many places.
But good dining experience as well, sorry.
We will happily take your money, but sorry service will be like this only

It is quite a sad state of affairs.
lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2012, 23:17   #2033
Team-BHP Support

@ Mannubhai

If you're open to a variety of non-veg, I'd suggest Plan B for you.

It's situated on Castle Street, near Richmond Road.

The food is absolutely lip-smacking. You must try: Chicken Hot Wings, Bacon Wrapped Beef/Pork and some other side-orders. Excellent food. The downside? The place might feel a little cramped and there is no parking anywhere. You will definitely need to drive around a little to find a slot.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2012, 23:39   #2034
Distinguished - BHPian

Plan B disappointed me when I had been there last. It was about 3 weeks ago and the beef in the burger was just bad. It felt like I was chewing a shoe or something... 3 of us ordered beef burgers, out of which one of us ordered the Animal burger.

The burgers were actually pathetic. The beef wasnt flavoured at all. Another friend ordered the Philly Cheesesteak and was massively disappointed as well. The quantity of beef was very less and they had used 2 slices of Amul cheese as the cheese! I dont expect this kind of cost cutting from Plan B and it's not like the Philly was cheap. It was expensive.

And I know that another friend had been there recently and hated the burgers as well. I've been to Plan B 3 times and have been disappointed 2 times badly.

If you want good burgers and decent wings, head to Cafe Thulp. Hands down the BEST burger in Bangalore. The only problem with the wings are that they are very small. Plan B's wings are better but I dont think the wongs alone are worth the visit to Plan B.

Maybe some of their other stuff is better, but I dont have any strong motivation to go back.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2012, 00:48   #2035
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Plan B disappointed me when I had been there last. ....
Sad news indeed. I have been there just once over 6 months back and was a wee bit disappointed that the pork in my burger had a sort of boiled flavour to it but assumed that it was a one off case. Have you tried Peppa Zing on infantry Rd? Its not quite in the same class as Thulp but pretty decent burgers. Used to be a bit greasy earlier but they seem to have sorted that out. Do not, however, order the steak burger. More than one person (myself included) has complained that the meat was too tough.
Roy.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2012, 01:15   #2036
Team-BHP Support

The last time I tried the Animal Burger at Plan B was a long long time ago. And it was pretty alright then. Not as good as Cafe Thulp, obviously. But good nonetheless. I wouldn't have it again though, as I'd attempted the finish-in-5-and-it's-free challenge, and I'd stuffed the burger down my throat in under 8 minutes. So I don't feel like eating it anymore.

Haven't really had anything to complain about the place. I'd been there yesterday, and I liked the food quite a bit. I love the ambiance, even more!
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2012, 01:45   #2037
BHPian

Quote:
Plan B disappointed me.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
........I'd been there yesterday, and I liked the food quite a bit........
Hmmm... seems to me that the only way to know for sure is to appoint a committee of renowned experts to visit said place and stuff their faces till they come to a conclusion. I appoint myself, Suhaas & Nikhil. Any other volunteers?
Roy.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2012, 21:04   #2038
Distinguished - BHPian

I am not coming to Plan B. I'm really cheesed off with that place. No pun intended.

I have been to Peppa Zing and loved the burger. I would love to be a volunteer for any other place though!
Old 8th January 2012, 23:05   #2039
BHPian

Quote:
I am not coming to Plan B. I'm really cheesed off with that place. No pun intended.

I have been to Peppa Zing and loved the burger. I would love to be a volunteer for any other place though!
Try Millers46. Awesome steaks and burgers.
Xryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 14:22   #2040
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xryder View Post
Try Millers46. Awesome steaks and burgers.
Haha... Preaching to the choir!

I've been a regular at Miller's 46 for the last 4 years I guess.... Have tried almost everything. Their burgers are just ok. Nothing great. For burgers, Cafe Thulp is still the best place.