Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2012, 22:06   #2446
BHPian
 
Tassem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 467
Thanked: 425 Times
Default The Chocolate Room - Ascendas Mall

The best place to take your-
Ex, crazy neighbour, weird dude who wants to take over the world or just about anyone you want to get back at.

We, my wife and I took our cousins out for dinner at the mall and figured we'll try dessert at the Chocolate Room since it seemed nice. A quick online search (Android+3g keeda) led us to a few reviews where people raved on about how great their chocolate is et all.. If only people were more honest!

Since it was late, they didn't have too many things on display. And the ones on there looked like they've had a long hard day and could use a healthy helping of moisturiser.

We decided to play it safe and zeroed in on hot chocolate. They seemed to have it in several flavors as well. So, regular for me, Hazelnut for two and Cinnamon for the rest. First bummer, they dont come in healthy size cups. More like your regualr disposable cup. I mention this because Hot Chocolate is usually served in Large. Anyways, the first sip and the size of the cup did not bother me anymore. It sucked! And I mean suck at an epic Jedi level! The last time my mouth tasted this bad was when I fell on the beach and got sand in my mouth! Oh wait, that tasted better! Definitely better.

We even checked out each other's drink just to be sure. For starters everything tasted similar. And to make it worse, I could taste plastic as well. I also have a serious doubt that their blender caught fire recently and is graciously mixing soot into all the stuff that goes in.

Oh yeah, did I mention it costs Rs.130 per cup?!

Do yourself a favour. Don't eat here. Even if you must, don't have the hot chocolate. I'm sure the muffins are better. At least they just look old and dry and have not been through the All-burning, All-destroying, Soot-dispensing, Plastic-smelling blender of chocolate room!



P.S - I totally understand if you've been here and found something you loved. But I just had to share this!!

Last edited by Tassem : 19th November 2012 at 22:10.
Tassem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 22:21   #2447
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Delhi
Posts: 227
Thanked: 64 Times
Default

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD! To know how to multi-quote, click here (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Thanks a lot for the many suggestions. Will start visiting them as and when heart wishes!
Mast Kalandar now is strictly average now, I do not like Gramin, be really careful while trying paneer in Bangalore. Punjab Grill near forum is another i recommend, also taste of rampur just further ahead on that road. I am Delhiite and have tried many north Indian places in Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
The best place to take your-
Ex, crazy neighbour, weird dude who wants to take over the world or just about anyone you want to get back at.

We, my wife and I took our cousins out for dinner at the mall and figured we'll try dessert at the Chocolate Room since it seemed nice. A quick online search (Android+3g keeda) led us to a few reviews where people raved on about how great their chocolate is et all.. If only people were more honest!

Since it was late, they didn't have too many things on display. And the ones on there looked like they've had a long hard day and could use a healthy helping of moisturiser.

We decided to play it safe and zeroed in on hot chocolate. They seemed to have it in several flavors as well. So, regular for me, Hazelnut for two and Cinnamon for the rest. First bummer, they dont come in healthy size cups. More like your regualr disposable cup. I mention this because Hot Chocolate is usually served in Large. Anyways, the first sip and the size of the cup did not bother me anymore. It sucked! And I mean suck at an epic Jedi level! The last time my mouth tasted this bad was when I fell on the beach and got sand in my mouth! Oh wait, that tasted better! Definitely better.

Do yourself a favour. Don't eat here. Even if you must, don't have the hot chocolate. I'm sure the muffins are better. At least they just look old and dry and have not been through the All-burning, All-destroying, Soot-dispensing, Plastic-smelling blender of chocolate room!


P.S - I totally understand if you've been here and found something you loved. But I just had to share this!!
They have one in Delhi in PVR saket never found ppl in there

Last edited by GTO : 21st November 2012 at 12:14. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Mindgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 22:51   #2448
Senior - BHPian
 
rohanjf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 1,190
Thanked: 683 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
We, my wife and I took our cousins out for dinner at the mall and figured we'll try dessert at the Chocolate Room since it seemed nice...
Which outlet was this? Since you mentioned mall, I assume Park Square next to ITPL.

A friend of mine partly owns the outlets near Forum Mall and Brigade Road. I will inform him about it. Hopefully he'll be able to inform the owners to set things right.

I think the reviews you got online were of these 2 outlets, which are proper dining places with real cutlery, unlike the one on Park Square mall.

Last edited by rohanjf : 19th November 2012 at 22:53.
rohanjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 09:38   #2449
BHPian
 
Tassem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 467
Thanked: 425 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Yup, Ascendas Park Square.. Thanks for this. They should really turn their act around. Especially because its priced in the premium range.

Also, we could see cheap milk packets lying around. Not a good feeling to know that that's what you're paying for.

Thanks again! Hope they pull up their socks soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
I assume Park Square next to ITPL.
Tassem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2012, 09:53   #2450
Senior - BHPian
 
motomaverick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,838
Thanked: 864 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Which outlet was this? Since you mentioned mall, I assume Park Square next to ITPL.

A friend of mine partly owns the outlets near Forum Mall and Brigade Road. I will inform him about it. Hopefully he'll be able to inform the owners to set things right.

I think the reviews you got online were of these 2 outlets, which are proper dining places with real cutlery, unlike the one on Park Square mall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
Yup, Ascendas Park Square.. Thanks for this. They should really turn their act around. Especially because its priced in the premium range.

Also, we could see cheap milk packets lying around. Not a good feeling to know that that's what you're paying for.

Thanks again! Hope they pull up their socks soon.
I had pancakes in Chocolate Room, Near Forum Mall and it was pretty good. So I guess the bad experience might have to do with the one in the mall. But its definitely not value for money, i think they are more expensive than CCD.

In general I never liked any of the food court foods, they look stale and taste pretty bad than what you get at their proper restaurant.
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2012, 19:39   #2451
BHPian
 
mannubhai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 409
Thanked: 285 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Surprisingly this thread has been inactive for almost a month. So let me kick start the taste buds again.


Tried Benjarong in Ulsoor road today. Its a Thai restuarant, situated above " ende keralam".

The food is awesome. Loved every bite of it.

What we ate : ( Im avoiding the thai names. Actually I dont remember :P )

Starters :
*Chicken wrapped in leaf : Felt like chicken tikka, but very tasty with the dip.
* Crispy fish fillet with raw mango salad. Mango was my attraction. They managed to get fresh raw mangoes this time of the year. Very tasty and it compliments the fish fillets.

Main course :
* Jasmine Rice : Is a standard thai rice you must eat. The frangrance makes you eat more.
* Yellow prawn curry : Big portion, lots of fresh prawns.

Dessert :
* A thai fruit cut as small pieces into coconut milk. Different, so liked it.

Apart from this, they gave a starter platter called the 'main khum' . Its on the house . It had Peanuts/onions/garlic/chilly/fried coconut/palm jaggery paste. You put all of them into a leaf and eat.

Overall, superb food.

Very very very expensive but. I wont be going back, unless I get someone to treat me .
mannubhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2012, 21:31   #2452
BHPian
 
acroback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 314
Thanked: 125 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Something fishy cornwell street. Near Richmond circle.
Coastal food was tasty for layman like me. And cheap too.
acroback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 15:05   #2453
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: BANG-A-LURE.
Posts: 1,097
Thanked: 3,409 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

The famed Mahesh Lunch Home of Mumbai has opened up a branch in Bangalore @ Residency Road.

I know where to have my lunch tomorrow.
SILVERWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 15:06   #2454
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,575
Thanked: 1,692 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
The famed Mahesh Lunch Home of Mumbai has opened up a branch in Bangalore @ Residency Road.

I know where to have my lunch tomorrow.
May I wish for you that the quantities are adequate and the prices are moderate-just the opposite of what Mumbai Mahesh is now a days
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 15:48   #2455
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: BANG-A-LURE.
Posts: 1,097
Thanked: 3,409 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
May I wish for you that the quantities are adequate and the prices are moderate-just the opposite of what Mumbai Mahesh is now a days
Ranjit-

I am a simple man with simple needs.I also know that a meal for two at MLH(Mumbai) would set one back by at least 2k.

I will write a complete review after i visit this place tomorrow.
SILVERWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 07:47   #2456
BHPian
 
motorpsycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hubli
Posts: 340
Thanked: 112 Times
Default A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore-North Karnataka Food

I have been visiting a small hotel which servers really good North Karnataka food near ITPL, it's located very near to Ascendas Park Square Mall. A typical fare includes Jolad Rotti and 2 side dishes. Monday's fare is Holgi/Holge a sweet dish and no Jolad rotti.


Location: As you head away from Park square towards Hope farm, on your right you have the Delhi Palace(?) restaurant, the North Karnataka hotel is right behind Delhi Palace ground floor.
motorpsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 13:00   #2457
Senior - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,874 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

@masin4 had mentioned this VadaPao - Dabeli joint in Rajajinagar in his post in the Hyderabad Eating Out thread, so decided to check it out this Tuesday.

The place is Sagar (just that - Sagar). It is in a wide old run-down building that occupies the space between 2 crosses (lanes). On the left while driving on Dr. Rajkumar Road towards Rajajinagar Entrance from Navrang Crossing, just after Navrang Diagnostic Center. 2-wheeler parking is OK, but dicey with a car during week-days - not much space, heavy traffic area.

Vada Pav - on par with Mumbai / Pune stuff. Simple but packed with flavors. Dabeli - a li'l sweet, but delicious. Fried salted green chillies if one wants. The Pav is large and perfectly made, unlike the sour small ones one normally gets in shops. VFM at 20/- each, considering the size and quality. Yummy.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 13:39   #2458
BHPian
 
arindambasu13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 411
Thanked: 106 Times
Default Barbeque Factory- Koramangala

On Christmas Day, went to Barbeque Factory at Sony World junction in Koramangala. From the name, the initial impression I had was that it would be a clone of the Barbeque Nation model, however, it was anything but.

A brief narrative of the experience:

This is a meat lovers paradise. Period. Though I am not qualified to comment on the vegetarian fare, since I went nowhere near it. The dinner buffet is priced at Rs 599 all inclusive for non vegetarians ,and I thing its 499 for vegetarians.

The moment you take your table, the folks there start piling on the starters on to your plate. The unusual thing here is that there is no typical mile long buffet table where you have to queue up and take your pick. Everything is served at your table, unlimited refills. Thats a good thing, since it saves you the hassle of waiting in line jostling with other customers, or waiting for the replenishments of various dishes.

The starters were outstanding, and to the best of my memory, they were: Honey Parathas with mutton Shikhampuri kababs (mindblowing, honey and ghee covered hot parathas with gilawati style mutton kababs, with pudina and imli chutney as condiments- had four of these parathas and kababs), Chicken Tikka Kababs (very well done, had 8 of these!!), Mutton Seekh Kababs (decently done), Fish Kababs (did not try), Chicken Kalmi Kababs (awesome taste, soft, succulent and smoky chicken legs, had three of these). Yea- as you can see, I killed it with the non veg starters themselves. He he.

Apart from theses there were also some nice vegetarian starters, a la tandoori pineapple (this was absolutely fantastic, and I asked for multiple refills of this- sweet and spicy grilled chunks of fresh pineapple), paneer tikka, aloo something, sabudana tikka etc.

Having loaded up on the above, there is then a main course, with hot rotis and naans served at table, mutton biryani (decent), chicken butter masala (good), prawn curry and several other vegetarian curries, which I did not try- was too full anyways with the starters. However, the main course is not what this restaurant is about- concentrate on the starters, would be my advice.

Then comes dessert. Soft, warm and freshly made gulab jamuns, vanilla ice cream, a pudding, and some fresh coconut milk (quite unusual, but refreshing). Again, you can ask for repeats of desserts which would be served at table.

Overall, a fantastic dining experience. The place itself is quite spacious, and you can get a table for two-four at the window side which offers a nice view of the Sony World junction. The staff were friendly and smiling, and did not mind providing multiple repeats of each dish. Rs 599 I felt was good enough value for money, since the starters themselves were worth it. I would rate it a must try.

Taste: 4.5/5
Ambience: 3/5
Service: 4/5
VFM: 4/5

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 28th December 2012 at 13:47.
arindambasu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 15:30   #2459
BHPian
 
flyingkolors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 212
Thanked: 57 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post

Ranjit-

I am a simple man with simple needs.I also know that a meal for two at MLH(Mumbai) would set one back by at least 2k.

I will write a complete review after i visit this place tomorrow.
So did you get a chance to visit this place? Pls share your experiences.
flyingkolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 19:23   #2460
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,625
Thanked: 1,251 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
@masin4 had mentioned this VadaPao - Dabeli joint in Rajajinagar in his post in the Hyderabad Eating Out thread, so decided to check it out this Tuesday.

The place is Sagar (just that - Sagar). It is in a wide old run-down building that occupies the space between 2 crosses (lanes). On the left while driving on Dr. Rajkumar Road towards Rajajinagar Entrance from Navrang Crossing, just after Navrang Diagnostic Center. 2-wheeler parking is OK, but dicey with a car during week-days - not much space, heavy traffic area.

Vada Pav - on par with Mumbai / Pune stuff. Simple but packed with flavors. Dabeli - a li'l sweet, but delicious. Fried salted green chillies if one wants. The Pav is large and perfectly made, unlike the sour small ones one normally gets in shops. VFM at 20/- each, considering the size and quality. Yummy.
Any particular timing when these are available? Or are they available whole day?
sagarpadaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai khanak Shifting gears 1136 26th October 2017 15:37
A Guide: Eating out in Chennai Proxima Shifting gears 601 12th February 2017 20:14
A Guide: Eating out in Pune abhijitaparadh Shifting gears 557 6th January 2017 02:10
A Guide: Eating out in Delhi/NCR tsk1979 Shifting gears 574 27th October 2016 10:14
A Guide: Eating out in Kolkata (Calcutta) planet_rocker Shifting gears 88 31st October 2015 12:50


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:57.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks