Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2016, 17:25   #3541
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 442
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

'Tis The Season To Be jolly...

...I was wondering if Bangalore Team-BHPians had any recommendations for plum cakes, etc. I know there is an active home-baking scene here in Bangalore with a few who are legendary within foodie circles, but usually by the time I hear about it I'm well into the New Year. Actually in all these years, I haven't had a decent plum cake here, so I really need your advise.

My idea of a good plum cake is one that borders on bitter and is moist and loaded with fruits. What I have usually ended up with is something crumbly, sweet and full of dough.

Also a long time back on this thread, someone had recommended a lady who makes kababs and biriyani from her home in Cantonment, I vaguely remember her being of Iranian heritage. I seem to have lost her phone number, can anyone help me?
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2016, 18:03   #3542
BHPian
 
arindambasu13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 411
Thanked: 106 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
'Tis The Season To Be jolly...


Also a long time back on this thread, someone had recommended a lady who makes kababs and biriyani from her home in Cantonment, I vaguely remember her being of Iranian heritage. I seem to have lost her phone number, can anyone help me?
If you are referring to Mrs. Huma (Biryani aunty for many of us), she's in Frazer town and her number is 98440 74798. At least this is the last known number with me, and I ordered her stuff about 6 months or so back. Hope the number is still the same. Try and let us know - I personally find it really good, especially the meat: rice ratio that she uses (which is why its a trifle more expensive than the other locally available biryani).

As to plum cakes, you can try the slightly higher end cake stores. Glens bakehouse, or Smoor. These should be good, because their other stuff really rocks.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 20th December 2016 at 18:05.
arindambasu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2016, 18:23   #3543
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Rajeevraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,242
Thanked: 7,892 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
'Tis The Season To Be jolly...

...I was wondering if Bangalore Team-BHPians had any recommendations for plum cakes, etc. I know there is an active home-baking scene here in Bangalore with a few who are legendary within foodie circles, but usually by the time I hear about it I'm well into the New Year. Actually in all these years, I haven't had a decent plum cake here, so I really need your advise.
One of my close friend's wife does baking. Not a professional set up, and typically takes ad hoc orders from known circles. One of her specialities is plum cakes and during this Christmas time, they plan and take orders on a slightly larger scale. The cakes are delicious and we order every year. Unfortunately they just closed their orders for this year as they need to wind up delivery by 24th. Couple of days earlier and could have connected you with them. Based on what you expect, I think you would have liked it.

A professional set up that I have heard good feedback on is 'Butter Side Up' . Have not tried their plum cakes, but had ordered a birthday cake from them last year. Was very good. As per their facebook page they have the . 'best plumcakes in town'. Maybe worth a try. A little on the expensive side though.

https://www.facebook.com/buttersideupcafe/
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2016, 20:43   #3544
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 1,253 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Received delivery of the Xmas Plum cakes from Navya bakers based in Kochi through www.delightfoods.com It is basically what you have described and then some. They also have plum cake from Variar bakery based in Bangalore itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
....... Actually in all these years, I haven't had a decent plum cake here, so I really need your advise.

My idea of a good plum cake is one that borders on bitter and is moist and loaded with fruits. What I have usually ended up with is something crumbly, sweet and full of dough.
.......
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2016, 22:05   #3545
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 39
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Received delivery of the Xmas Plum cakes from Navya bakers based in Kochi through www.delightfoods.com It is basically what you have described and then some. They also have plum cake from Variar bakery based in Bangalore itself.
Delightfoods is a wonderful option esp at festival time. I would also recommend Lavonne, a bakery school in Domlur, (same guys who run Glens). They were stocked up over the weekend.

Or there is always good old Koshys, though their quality is variable. I still go early on Christmas eve for their marzipan.
Juggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2016, 10:01   #3546
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 442
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

It seems I may have missed the boat again, but with your help this holiday season could still be memorable.

From Delight Foods, I am hard-pressed to choose between All Saints Matured Plum Cake and Navya Bakers Plum Fiesta Cake.

Local options mentioned so far are:
  • Glen's Bakehouse (arindambasu13)
  • Smoor (arindambasu13)
  • Butter Side Up (Rajeevraj)
  • Lavonne (Juggy)
As I am diabetic, I can unfortunately only buy ONE Plum Cake weighing around 1 kg to resist further temptation and soaring blood sugar levels this holiday season. Anyone who swears by their Plum Cake, please tell me which one option should I choose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
If you are referring to Mrs. Huma (Biryani aunty for many of us), she's in Frazer town and her number is 98440 74798. At least this is the last known number with me, and I ordered her stuff about 6 months or so back. Hope the number is still the same. Try and let us know - I personally find it really good, especially the meat: rice ratio that she uses (which is why its a trifle more expensive than the other locally available biryani).
I believe she is the one. Thanks a ton, @arindambasu13!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
One of my close friend's wife does baking. Not a professional set up, and typically takes ad hoc orders from known circles. One of her specialities is plum cakes and during this Christmas time, they plan and take orders on a slightly larger scale. The cakes are delicious and we order every year. Unfortunately they just closed their orders for this year as they need to wind up delivery by 24th. Couple of days earlier and could have connected you with them. Based on what you expect, I think you would have liked it.
Thank you, @Rajeevraj, could you please PM me her contact information so I can try next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Received delivery of the Xmas Plum cakes from Navya bakers based in Kochi through www.delightfoods.com It is basically what you have described and then some. They also have plum cake from Variar bakery based in Bangalore itself.
Thanks @khoj, I tried the Plum Cake from Navya earlier, but didn't find it as good as their signature Date & Carrot Cake which I really liked. Only on going through the Delight Foods website did I realize that Navya has more expensive varieties of Plum Cake specifically for the holiday season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggy View Post
Delightfoods is a wonderful option esp at festival time. I would also recommend Lavonne, a bakery school in Domlur, (same guys who run Glens). They were stocked up over the weekend.
Thank you, @Juggy!

Last edited by nowwhat? : 22nd December 2016 at 10:02.
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2016, 10:43   #3547
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,863
Thanked: 1,895 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
A professional set up that I have heard good feedback on is 'Butter Side Up' . Have not tried their plum cakes, but had ordered a birthday cake from them last year. Was very good. As per their facebook page they have the . 'best plumcakes in town'. Maybe worth a try. A little on the expensive side though.

https://www.facebook.com/buttersideupcafe/
I just ordered 2.5 kg of their "rich fruit cake" (aka plum cake) for my bangalore based team, and paid using NEFT. Came to 2555 including Rs. 180 delivery charges to Whitefield. Now got to see if it lives up to this reputation.

Thanks for the referral.
hserus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 18:17   #3548
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 186
Thanked: 169 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

A little bit background about me. Ours is a vegetarian family and my wife does not know how to cook non-vegetarian dishes. But I am used to eating chicken and fish occasionally when I am with teammates out for lunch/dinner.

Two factors have made me consider going for regular non-vegetarian fare.

1.) I have been diagnosed with Vit B12 deficiency. Taking injections did not help as I got severe rashes on the body as a side effect and I had to discontinue the injections resulting in B12 levels again falling below borderline now. Doctors "recommended" that I can turn to non-vegan food as vegetarians have B12 deficiency.

2.) On a recent visit to U.S, I tried dishes prepared with Salmon but my colleague told me that the Salmon available in U.S. is Atlantic variety not to be found in India.

Which restaurants serve Salmon in Bangalore? People knowledgeable about sea foods - can you provide pointers to the availability of Salmon, varieties, recipes etc?
AltoLXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 18:28   #3549
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,863
Thanked: 1,895 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Why do you want Salmon? Any sea fish is going to be a rich source of B12 and there are plenty available in India.

You can also expand your horizons to eating liver (kaleji) and kidney (gurda) which should be available in any butcher shop or go to shivaji nagar and enjoy!

If you want fish - take the ones that smell "strong" and "oily" - eg: mackerel (bangda in kannada, ayila in tamil / malayalam) for high levels of B12. Don't bother about white and neutral tasting fish like basa, not much of the vitamin in it and doesn't taste good anyway.

Don't bother about recipes if your family and especially your wife are vegetarian - these dishes (liver, kidney, oily fish etc) smell quite "strong" especially when cooking so they may get upset. Go to a good non vegetarian hotel and enjoy yourself. (edit) It may take a while for you to bring yourself to eat these dishes, if all you have eaten are chicken and white meat + neutral tasting fishes, before. These are "hardcore non vegetarian".

Last edited by hserus : 9th January 2017 at 18:31.
hserus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2017, 15:02   #3550
BHPian
 
TorqueyTechie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 668
Thanked: 950 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

One of the famous restaurant and package foods giant, MTR is organizing a karnataka food festival on Jan 21 and 22. Festival will have cuisines from 6 different regions and would have 100+ dishes. Venue and price details are as below.

Venue : St John's Auditorium, Koramangala, Bangalore
Date and Timings : Sat Jan 21 and Sun Jan 22 from 11 AM to 11 PM.
Price : Rs 700 per person.
Book your tickets here.

P.S : I am in no way associated with the event/organizers. Saw it in FB and posted the same here.
TorqueyTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2017, 14:45   #3551
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Any recommendations for "gajar ka halwa"?
pai.pradeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 16:20   #3552
BHPian
 
TorqueyTechie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 668
Thanked: 950 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Folks, need your help in selecting a place which will deliver food to home. I am hosting a small get together of my close friends at my home and would need to order food. Group is a mix of veg/non-veg. Since I am a veggie not very sure of which would be a good restaurant to order non-veg food from. Primarily looking for a Thai restaurant. I stay in south bangalore close to Lalbagh. Any suggestions for the restaurant closer to my place(delivery to home should be a must) and menu would be welcome.
TorqueyTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 16:33   #3553
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,741
Thanked: 4,571 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Any suggestions for the restaurant closer to my place(delivery to home should be a must) and menu would be welcome.
While I'm unable to recommend any specific restaurant, I'd suggest you look look at websites like swiggy and food panda as they deliver from several restaurants and choosing something closer to Jayanagar shouldn't be a problem.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 16:47   #3554
BHPian
 
TorqueyTechie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 668
Thanked: 950 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
While I'm unable to recommend any specific restaurant, I'd suggest you look look at websites like swiggy and food panda as they deliver from several restaurants and choosing something closer to Jayanagar shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks NPV for the reply. Yes I would definitely try with swiggy (food panda does not deliver to my place for some strange reason). But I would be lost for the items to pick from. Also does not show up much suggestions for Thai food though lot of chinese food options are shown.
TorqueyTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 17:32   #3555
BHPian
 
redcruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 220
Thanked: 215 Times
Default Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post

If you want fish - take the ones that smell "strong" and "oily" - eg: mackerel (bangda in kannada, ayila in tamil / malayalam) for high levels of B12. Don't bother about white and neutral tasting fish like basa, not much of the vitamin in it and doesn't taste good anyway.

Don't bother about recipes if your family and especially your wife are vegetarian - these dishes (liver, kidney, oily fish etc) smell quite "strong" especially when cooking so they may get upset.

Hi Hserus,
I think you are very knowledgeable about fishes. Usually I get Rohi fish (because that is the one I recognise) , does that have good vitamins ? I have no clue on other types of fishes so I am very gullible customer for the seller who can sell anything in the name of other.
One question that haunts me is selecting the right fish and most importantly how to check if the fish is fresh or refrigerated one that was stored overnight.
redcruiser is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai khanak Shifting gears 1136 26th October 2017 15:37
A Guide: Eating out in Chennai Proxima Shifting gears 601 12th February 2017 20:14
A Guide: Eating out in Pune abhijitaparadh Shifting gears 557 6th January 2017 02:10
A Guide: Eating out in Delhi/NCR tsk1979 Shifting gears 574 27th October 2016 10:14
A Guide: Eating out in Kolkata (Calcutta) planet_rocker Shifting gears 88 31st October 2015 12:50


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:03.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks