Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2010, 15:50   #1111
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore/Gulbarga
Posts: 161
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

"Basant Residency" in Gandhinagar (opp. Jain temple) serves excellent jolada rotti oota (meal). Their taste is very close to original north karnataka food compared to any other hotel in Bangalore. Very clean and efficient. Ambiance is quite pleasing.

They also serve Holige (obbattu) on special festive days. It's a must try place for north karnataka food fans.

They also have a terrace garden where they have a bar (I forgot the name). Though the food is above average, service is horrible.
whitesquall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2010, 15:52   #1112
Distinguished - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,954
Thanked: 1,588 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Try Aaranya restaurant in Teacher's Colony, near HSR layout. (It is basically a booze joint, not a family place)

They serve the best tandoori chicken I've tasted in Bangalore.

Yeah i have seen that place. Will try it out next time when i want to eat a TC.
Thanks!
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2010, 15:56   #1113
BHPian
 
krish3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cochin/Bangalore
Posts: 608
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

There is an Aaranya in the BDA complex in HSR layout. Its less of a booze place and perfect for a quiet lunch/dinner with family. The main course here is as good as the starters, both of which are VFM. Nice quantity and quality. I've been there 4 times and was more than satisfied each time.
krish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2010, 17:13   #1114
BHPian
 
Rajesh K R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 302
Thanked: 36 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall View Post
"Basant Residency" in Gandhinagar (opp. Jain temple) serves excellent jolada rotti oota (meal). Their taste is very close to original north karnataka food compared to any other hotel in Bangalore. Very clean and efficient. Ambiance is quite pleasing.

They also serve Holige (obbattu) on special festive days. It's a must try place for north karnataka food fans.

They also have a terrace garden where they have a bar (I forgot the name). Though the food is above average, service is horrible.

I think you should be able to judge the 'Jolada Rotti oota' as you are having Gulbarga / North Karnataka connection.

All the while we were thinking only Kamat is one place which is trying to keep the Jolada Rotti oota flag flying !!
Rajesh K R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2010, 17:17   #1115
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 48
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Had been to the Hotel Fishland in majestic.

Order a "fish meal" which included a Seer fish fry and mackerel curry. Had an authentic coastal karnataka taste for it. VFM at 100 something bucks.
watfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2010, 17:34   #1116
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore/Gulbarga
Posts: 161
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
I think you should be able to judge the 'Jolada Rotti oota' as you are having Gulbarga / North Karnataka connection.

All the while we were thinking only Kamat is one place which is trying to keep the Jolada Rotti oota flag flying !!
Yeah, absolutely!! when you try this place you will know what you have missed! Also, I recommend you to try "Nalapaka" near Navarang theratre, Rajajinagar. Nalapaka along with Jolada rotti meal serves north karnataka breakfast (Paddu, Benne Dosa, Girmit etc.). Ummmmm Yummy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by watfor View Post
Had been to the Hotel Fishland in majestic.

Order a "fish meal" which included a Seer fish fry and mackerel curry. Had an authentic coastal karnataka taste for it. VFM at 100 something bucks.
There is this place called "Fish Paradise" very next to navarang theatre, their mangalore fair is excellent, not a tidy place though! But, very good VFM none the less!

Last edited by bblost : 28th April 2010 at 12:16. Reason: back 2 back post. Please use edit post if posting within 20 mins. Thanks.
whitesquall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2010, 17:45   #1117
Senior - BHPian
 
lohithrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kudla/Mangaluru
Posts: 3,125
Thanked: 162 Times
Default

Wow for long am in search of a hotel good at "jolada roti" . will try it out when am in Bangalore next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall View Post
Yeah, absolutely!! when you try this place you will know what you have missed! Also, I recommend you to try "Nalapaka" near Navarang theratre, Rajajinagar. Nalapaka along with Jolada rotti meal serves north karnataka breakfast (Paddu, Benne Dosa, Girmit etc.). Ummmmm Yummy!
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2010, 11:38   #1118
BHPian
 
Rajesh K R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 302
Thanked: 36 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall View Post
Yeah, absolutely!! when you try this place you will know what you have missed! Also, I recommend you to try "Nalapaka" near Navarang theratre, Rajajinagar. Nalapaka along with Jolada rotti meal serves north karnataka breakfast (Paddu, Benne Dosa, Girmit etc.). Ummmmm Yummy!
Thanks, i had once been to Nalpak and had their lunch (limited version). But, maybe i will go there once again to try the breakfast of Paddu etc.
Rajesh K R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 17:37   #1119
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 604
Thanked: 186 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Directions to Degchi please? Any landmarks you can mention? Is it near Srinidhi Upachar?
Thanks much for recommending this place. Self and wifey tried this place out over the weekend and voted to come back for more.

perfect tandoori chicken, chicken sher-e-punjabi (waiter was reluctant to take a 'dhaba murg' order, wonder why). butter rotis, peas pulav and all washed down with yummy lassi. Bought back memories of my brief stay in the 'land of 5 rivers' during bachelor days.... Pure punjabi food!!!
WindRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 17:42   #1120
MCR
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Yokohama, Japan
Posts: 725
Thanked: 208 Times
Default

Wow guys so many NV options. Since I am a pure vegan can you suggest some places which sell other than Dosa and idly. For chats I can suggest Shiva Chats on 50 feet road, Hanumanthanagar. For Vadapav and paratha one can try a all ladies restaurant / mess behind BMS college hostel.
MCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 18:36   #1121
BHPian
 
smsrini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 996
Thanked: 247 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Wow guys so many NV options. Since I am a pure vegan can you suggest some places which sell other than Dosa and idly. For chats I can suggest Shiva Chats on 50 feet road, Hanumanthanagar. For Vadapav and paratha one can try a all ladies restaurant / mess behind BMS college hostel.

Grameen - Raheja Arcade Koramangala
BayLeaf - Raheja Arcade Koramangala - serves all types. good vegan options.
Mast Kalandar - opp National games village Koramangala and other locations in blr.

Queens - Church Street. Good Veg and non veg

Maiyas - Jayanagar 4th block.

MTR - Opp Lalbagh

Puliyogare point - NR colony Basavanagudi. Iyengar type food.

Tijouri - restaurant in hotel Atria international - near RAce course. mutli-cuisine but good veg options.

south indies - indiranagar & koramangala.

Davangere Benne Dosa - Basavanagudi subram chetty road.

rajdhani - ub city

ramana's - cunningham road.

Emgee's on MG road.

Konark restaurant - commercial street.

More options : Pure vegetarian Restaurants on burrp! Bangalore
smsrini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 18:38   #1122
BHPian
 
smsrini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 996
Thanked: 247 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Thanks much for recommending this place. Self and wifey tried this place out over the weekend and voted to come back for more.

perfect tandoori chicken, chicken sher-e-punjabi (waiter was reluctant to take a 'dhaba murg' order, wonder why). butter rotis, peas pulav and all washed down with yummy lassi. Bought back memories of my brief stay in the 'land of 5 rivers' during bachelor days.... Pure punjabi food!!!

Try their sunday brunch and plated meals..
smsrini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 11:06   #1123
Senior - BHPian
 
sushrutha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chikmagalur/Ban
Posts: 1,702
Thanked: 323 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Wow guys so many NV options. Since I am a pure vegan can you suggest some places which sell other than Dosa and idly. For chats I can suggest Shiva Chats on 50 feet road, Hanumanthanagar. For Vadapav and paratha one can try a all ladies restaurant / mess behind BMS college hostel.
Have to agree on the Shiva chats.
One of the best Masala puri I have ever tasted. Will be mobbed like anything between 7-8pm.
Landmark is turn right before Kaggi's bakery on 50 feet road, Hanumanthanagar.

@MCR seems like you stay in South Bangalore. So for veg restaurnet why not try 1947 opposite to Airtel @ ring road between Deve Gowda petrol bunk & Kamakya theater.
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 11:52   #1124
BHPian
 
Rajesh K R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 302
Thanked: 36 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Have to agree on the Shiva chats.
One of the best Masala puri I have ever tasted. Will be mobbed like anything between 7-8pm.
Landmark is turn right before Kaggi's bakery on 50 feet road, Hanumanthanagar.

@MCR seems like you stay in South Bangalore. So for veg restaurnet why not try 1947 opposite to Airtel @ ring road between Deve Gowda petrol bunk & Kamakya theater.
1947 is indeed a very fine restaurant. It is one of my fav & regular haunts since i stay very close to it.

Also, we had been to 24th Main restaurant in JP Nagar. Food & ambience is quite good.

Have not yet tried Shiva Chats even after living so close by. Noted and will visit this place the coming weekend.

Any other good veg joints in Hanumanthnagar & BSK area ?
Rajesh K R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 12:59   #1125
MCR
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Yokohama, Japan
Posts: 725
Thanked: 208 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Have to agree on the Shiva chats.
One of the best Masala puri I have ever tasted. Will be mobbed like anything between 7-8pm.
Landmark is turn right before Kaggi's bakery on 50 feet road, Hanumanthanagar.

@MCR seems like you stay in South Bangalore. So for veg restaurnet why not try 1947 opposite to Airtel @ ring road between Deve Gowda petrol bunk & Kamakya theater.
Yes I stay in South Bangalore. Thanks for the suggestion. I will defenitely try '1947'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
1947 is indeed a very fine restaurant. It is one of my fav & regular haunts since i stay very close to it.

Also, we had been to 24th Main restaurant in JP Nagar. Food & ambience is quite good.

Have not yet tried Shiva Chats even after living so close by. Noted and will visit this place the coming weekend.

Any other good veg joints in Hanumanthnagar & BSK area ?
if you are looking at old style restaurants, try Mahalakshmi Tiffen Room near Gandhibazar. Their open dosa is extremely good.

Kamat Bugle rock is also another good restaurant on Bull temple road.
MCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai khanak Shifting gears 1135 9th October 2017 21:26
A Guide: Eating out in Chennai Proxima Shifting gears 601 12th February 2017 20:14
A Guide: Eating out in Pune abhijitaparadh Shifting gears 557 6th January 2017 02:10
A Guide: Eating out in Delhi/NCR tsk1979 Shifting gears 574 27th October 2016 10:14
A Guide: Eating out in Kolkata (Calcutta) planet_rocker Shifting gears 88 31st October 2015 12:50


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:48.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks