Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2010, 17:08   #1156
Senior - BHPian
 
sbraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: B L R / T V M
Posts: 1,071
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Kadambam (Iyengar cuisine) inside Manipal Centre had shut down some time ago.

The same place got reopened recently (4-5 months back) as Kadamba (Karnataka cuisine).
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 17:26   #1157
BHPian
 
pramod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 449
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Malnad food sounds interesting. I have to try Maiyya's buffet then.
Seems one can get MALNAD cuisines here(particularly Chikmagalur dishes).
Saw a review in TOI last sunday's edition.
Maiyya's has a few Malnad items... but not completely Malnad.

ANd talking of Chikmagalur, we cant forget the Dosa at Town canteen!!!
pramod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2010, 02:49   #1158
BHPian
 
JMaruru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 518
Thanked: 97 Times
Default Nammura Hotel@J P Nagar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Nammura Hotel is in JP Nagar. It's famous for selling dishes in KGs.
Yes, they sell everything by weight. It is promoted by krishna hegde, who comes on the cookery programmes of suvarna channel.

But in JP Nagar, the best place for authentic k'taka dishes is shankaranarayana refreshments. It is a self service restaurant, with no tables. Always, teeming crowds out here.
JMaruru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2010, 07:52   #1159
Senior - BHPian
 
recshenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mangalore / Bangalore
Posts: 1,055
Thanked: 90 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Yes, they sell everything by weight. It is promoted by krishna hegde, who comes on the cookery programmes of suvarna channel.

But in JP Nagar, the best place for authentic k'taka dishes is shankaranarayana refreshments. It is a self service restaurant, with no tables. Always, teeming crowds out here.
i went to shankaranarayana couple of months back. is it 6th phase? my friend who took told its near Kannada actor Ambarish's house!

Food items were good! Even I saw people coming in a Merc E-class to have food there I liked the Chutney there! My friend told its open only for some limited hours in a day, like till 10 or 11 o'clock in morning and after that he is done for the day

Is Sunday holiday fro them?
recshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2010, 16:30   #1160
MCR
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Yokohama, Japan
Posts: 709
Thanked: 185 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall View Post
I hope you did not mean "Halli Mane".

BTW, Malleshwaram has many popular and historic eateries. Some of them are: Janata Hotel (Uddina Vada/Sambar, Masala Dosa), Veena Stores (Everything!), Raghavendra Tiffin Center ?? (Out side Malleshwaram Railway station, Opp. Manipal North Side hospital; everything!). As far as "Halli Mane" is concerned, I do not like this place personally as it is all hype and less substance! always crowded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Malnad food sounds interesting. I have to try Maiyya's buffet then.


Nammura Hotel is in JP Nagar. It's famous for selling dishes in KGs.
Halli Mane is in Malleshwaram.

Has anyone tried SUGGI in Basaweshwarnagar ?
Seems one can get MALNAD cuisines here(particularly Chikmagalur dishes).
Saw a review in TOI last sunday's edition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Yes, they sell everything by weight. It is promoted by krishna hegde, who comes on the cookery programmes of suvarna channel.

But in JP Nagar, the best place for authentic k'taka dishes is shankaranarayana refreshments. It is a self service restaurant, with no tables. Always, teeming crowds out here.
Pardon me guys, I got confused with the name and location.

There is one more place which sells excellent chats. This is Karnataka Bhel centre in Chamarajpet, diagonally opposite to Balaji Darshan Hotel. If eating Idly with some excellent chutney is the order of the day, try 'Brahmanara coffee kendra' in Shankarapuram.
MCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2010, 16:37   #1161
Senior - BHPian
 
addyhemmige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore/Hassan
Posts: 1,549
Thanked: 465 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post

There is one more place which sells excellent chats. This is Karnataka Bhel centre in Chamarajpet, diagonally opposite to Balaji Darshan Hotel. If eating Idly with some excellent chutney is the order of the day, try 'Brahmanara coffee kendra' in Shankarapuram.
Not to forget the lovely Khara bath too. This place is literally a hole in the wall, but serves amazing food. Open only in the morning & evening. Closed on Sundays.

IIRC, There is one more place called the New Modern Hotel (NMH) in VV Puram near Sajjan Rao Circle. Even this place serves lovely Idly sambar. In fact the sambar is supposed to be so exquisite that regulars there just order one idly and drink litres of sambar
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2010, 16:43   #1162
BHPian
 
Rotorhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 925
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

Tried out this relatively new hyderabadi restaurant called "Meghna" this afternoon. The hyderabadi biryani was really nice, in fact i found it much better than the nandini and the mutton pepper fry was delicious.

OT: I am getting a feeling off late that the nandinis have lost the kind of quality that i was used to earlier. Somehow their dishes and prices dont seem appealing to me anymore.

This restaurant Meghna is located adjacent to La Casa on jayanagar 4th block (its close to the coffee day and barista ). This place is worth a visit IMO.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2010, 01:00   #1163
BHPian
 
JMaruru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 518
Thanked: 97 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
i went to shankaranarayana couple of months back. is it 6th phase? my friend who took told its near Kannada actor Ambarish's house!

Food items were good! Even I saw people coming in a Merc E-class to have food there I liked the Chutney there! My friend told its open only for some limited hours in a day, like till 10 or 11 o'clock in morning and after that he is done for the day

Is Sunday holiday fro them?
It is JP Nagar 2nd Phase. They close around 1.30PM and are back again around 5 in the evening to close at 7PM for the day.

Sundays, they are open for the morning session. The sambar they give for idly's is what one has to go far. No where you will get a sambar like that. It is spicy and clears any clogged throat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
IIRC, There is one more place called the New Modern Hotel (NMH) in VV Puram near Sajjan Rao Circle. Even this place serves lovely Idly sambar. In fact the sambar is supposed to be so exquisite that regulars there just order one idly and drink litres of sambar
NMH, is well known restaurant in mavalli. The best item for me is, bonda soup (thovve). You heard it right, it is more so for the soup you have to eat the bonda here.
JMaruru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2010, 13:43   #1164
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,867 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
... I Think Anna Brahma is near the 'electronics' shop on the HSBC ATM road. ...
Yes, that shop is on the other end. There is also a Chinese restaurant in the same premises - with a nice semi-open-air area. This is a collaboration between Chungs and Kamats. Beats any Andhra joint hands down in use of chillies - one remembers the next morning too! They just don't know the concept of moderating spiciness even when specifically asked to. Fortunately they don't mess up Sweet Corn Soup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
... Swiss food? I'm looking for Cheese Fondue and Raclette ...
Some things are best enjoyed in the original environment. Non-availability of proper Swiss cheese (some problem of bilateral agricultural imports / export agreement probably) meant for Fondue / Raclette makes that impossible. One can't substitute other cheeses and get away with it. Concept of Fondue is alien to India ("woh kya sab log ek saath jhoota kar ke khate hain"!).

Raclette is another set of problems. Other cheeses become too runny, and one doesn't get the raclette potatoes that go well with the grilled cheese. Have tried a lot of substitutes, but none give acceptable results.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2010, 22:10   #1165
JVH
Senior - BHPian
 
JVH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,021
Thanked: 148 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post

Some things are best enjoyed in the original environment. Non-availability of proper Swiss cheese (some problem of bilateral agricultural imports / export agreement probably) meant for Fondue / Raclette makes that impossible. One can't substitute other cheeses and get away with it. Concept of Fondue is alien to India ("woh kya sab log ek saath jhoota kar ke khate hain"!).

Raclette is another set of problems. Other cheeses become too runny, and one doesn't get the raclette potatoes that go well with the grilled cheese. Have tried a lot of substitutes, but none give acceptable results.
Yup! Makes sense. I did see the dish on the Al Italia menu but my Swiss colleague and I avoided it stating the exact reasons as mentioned by you.
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 11:18   #1166
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hyderabad/Blr
Posts: 640
Thanked: 147 Times
Default

Yesterday evening i had been to this place Tacho... at mantri mall. Had few things there, me and my wife both had loose motion many times at night. I think food quality has degraded due to huge rush.
shamanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 11:47   #1167
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,240
Thanked: 600 Times
Default

Coorg Spice on old Airport Road. Couple of my colleaguesat work took me there. Good food, good prices.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 13:26   #1168
BHPian
 
Rajesh K R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 302
Thanked: 36 Times
Default

Yesterday, had been to Kadambam at Channapatna. Had yummy Masala Dosa with the usual super 'Puliyogare' & 'Sakkare pongal'. Unfortunately went there at closing time and only the above 3 items were available.

I travelled from Mysore to BLR yesterday night and was amazed to find all the good restaurants / eating joints on the highway heavily crowded even at 9.30/ 10 PM.
Rajesh K R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 15:01   #1169
Senior - BHPian
 
gowda79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,469
Thanked: 141 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post

Has anyone tried SUGGI in Basaweshwarnagar ?
Seems one can get MALNAD cuisines here(particularly Chikmagalur dishes).
Saw a review in TOI last sunday's edition.
Sushrutha, SUGGI is very good and very limited menu but the food is good taste and man the Green Chicken is tooooooo hot

Last edited by gowda79 : 3rd May 2010 at 15:03.
gowda79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 10:25   #1170
Senior - BHPian
 
sushrutha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chikmagalur/Ban
Posts: 1,702
Thanked: 322 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Sushrutha, SUGGI is very good and very limited menu but the food is good taste and man the Green Chicken is tooooooo hot
Thanks gowda. Heard a mixed review from addyhemmige.
But anyways I will try this restaurent once for sure.
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Guide: Eating out in Chennai Proxima Shifting gears 601 12th February 2017 20:14
A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai khanak Shifting gears 1130 9th January 2017 10:20
A Guide: Eating out in Pune abhijitaparadh Shifting gears 557 6th January 2017 02:10
A Guide: Eating out in Delhi/NCR tsk1979 Shifting gears 574 27th October 2016 10:14
A Guide: Eating out in Kolkata (Calcutta) planet_rocker Shifting gears 88 31st October 2015 12:50


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:39.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks