Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2010, 22:32   #1306
BHPian
 
dhuli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 196
Thanked: 47 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Where in Domlur is this located? Any landmarks nearby?
Its opposite Subway on the Domlur road you get just as you come down the old airport road flyover. Barbeque Nation will be to your left on the 100 feet road. Opp side you have Nandini (Andhra style), Mainland China and Kyra (the live music gig place). Road trip is not visible easily from the Domlur road. Across Subway you will notice a small narrow park. behind it is a service road. Roadtrip is on that.
dhuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 20:23   #1307
BHPian
 
Rocky_Balboa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Namma Bengalooru
Posts: 584
Thanked: 59 Times
Default

Had been to Ammi's Biriyani on the ORR near Banaswadi, a couple of days ago and was not impressed at all.

The biriyani was bland with no fragrance whatsoever and the chicken was overcooked. The chicken kabab was way over-cooked, leaving a bad taste in the mouth. The first chicken biriyani they served was smelling bad and had to be replaced. The second didnt smell bad but tasted so so!

The only saviour was the mutton cooked to Perfection.
Rocky_Balboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 20:35   #1308
BHPian
 
Newpunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 655
Thanked: 63 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
Had been to Ammi's Biriyani on the ORR near Banaswadi, a couple of days ago and was not impressed at all.

The biriyani was bland with no fragrance whatsoever and the chicken was overcooked. The chicken kabab was way over-cooked, leaving a bad taste in the mouth. The first chicken biriyani they served was smelling bad and had to be replaced. The second didnt smell bad but tasted so so!

The only saviour was the mutton cooked to Perfection.
Agree. I went there a few months back and got their take away "world's first Biryani in a box" . Wasn't impressed with the taste at all. It was very bland. If you want to try some authentic Hyderabadi Biryani around Marathahalli, try the Biryani Zone near Food Zone. The taste is good, although it might be a bit spicy for people from the North.
Newpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2010, 11:11   #1309
BHPian
 
hemanthisgreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 587
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Guys, any idea where we can get good cheese dosas in Bangalore.

Last edited by hemanthisgreat : 18th July 2010 at 11:13.
hemanthisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2010, 12:08   #1310
BHPian
 
dhuli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 196
Thanked: 47 Times
Default

Cheese dosas are almost on all the sukh sagar, shanti sagar kind of places. Dosa camp in Jayanagar 4th block is a great place for you-name-your-filling-dosa place. Some of the traditional, old places such as Ganesh vilas or komala vilas in Malleswaram, Chamrajpet and other such old, traditional Bangalore localities do offer very unique ghee roasts and even something as exotic as Davangere butter dosa.

If you are in Transit food court at Forum Mall Koramangla, the Shiv Sagar may serve you a cheese dosa. While my kid loves cheese dosas, my personal preference is for a Woody's Bangalore variation - the Mysore Masala Dosa. Here you get a vegetable kurma style filling as opposed to the alu-pyaz typical of masala dosas.

Incidentally, this Woodys restaurant is inside the old Woodlands near Mallya Hospital (close to Richmond circle and the new Taj Gardenia).

Enjoy

Last edited by bblost : 25th October 2010 at 22:27. Reason: Please refer forum rules. Esp Rule 11. Thanks.
dhuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2010, 12:50   #1311
Senior - BHPian
 
sachinj12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,188
Thanked: 161 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
Guys, any idea where we can get good cheese dosas in Bangalore.

If you meant bennae (butter) dosa, look no further than CTR near Malleshwaram club. Awesome taste.
sachinj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2010, 13:26   #1312
Senior - BHPian
 
sachinj12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,188
Thanked: 161 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Had been to Halli Mane for the 7th time.

This place is horrible if you take their meals.

Only good for some evening Dosas, idlis, akki/ragi rotti's and some nice coffee and tea.

Dont ever try their meal package, simply not worth Rs 150/-

The place has gone to dogs. Expensive and horrible food. Only thing worth is the coffee, simply superb.

You can rather eat that butter gulkand in Bhagyashree Gulkand shop instead of having food in Halli-Mane.

@ mods,

Couldn't use edit function as previous post was made half an hour ago.
sachinj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2010, 17:48   #1313
BHPian
 
hemanthisgreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 587
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
If you meant bennae (butter) dosa, look no further than CTR near Malleshwaram club. Awesome taste.
Well I agree on that. I just had it yesterday. That benne masala is crisp and excellent.

I did mean cheese dosa.
hemanthisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 20:36   #1314
BHPian
 
modthomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Tel Aviv
Posts: 61
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
There's a fantastic Korean place in Koramangala called Soo Ra Sang. It's right next to Imperial. Especially recommended for carnivores - really nice BBQ.
Just been to Soo Ra Sang on Saturday nite. Very very good. Its shifted to Wind Tunnel Road. Nice setting - rooftop view of the old airport runway from the Golf Course side.

The food was excellent, and VFM. Seven of us, two bulgogi, one stone pot rice with chicken mince and vegetables, one prawn and vegetable stir fry, one beef stew, one pork with green chiilies and one pork with red chillies. Also three Korean beers. The total came to a very reasonable 3500/-, which in my opinion was great value for the taste, quantity and setting. Definitely worth another visit.
modthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 09:54   #1315
BHPian
 
Rocky_Balboa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Namma Bengalooru
Posts: 584
Thanked: 59 Times
Default

Had been to Ruchi at Cambridge Layout, Ulsoor and loved the food. The Japanese Triple Fried Rice was the best, apart from the tasty roti's. We expected the food to be so-so, after requesting for a very quick service but were pleasantly surprised.

Would go again, for sure.
Rocky_Balboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 11:23   #1316
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: KA-03
Posts: 471
Thanked: 49 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
Had been to Ruchi at Cambridge Layout, Ulsoor and loved the food. The Japanese Triple Fried Rice was the best, apart from the tasty roti's. We expected the food to be so-so, after requesting for a very quick service but were pleasantly surprised.

Would go again, for sure.
Thanks for the information. can you please indicate the location? possibly with some land mark.

thanks,
sriturl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 12:01   #1317
BHPian
 
ssingri's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 103
Thanked: 70 Times
Default MTR Forum Value Mall, Whitefield

I had gone to a movie and shopping to Forum in White field, I stopped by in MTR (it is run by the same family as the one in Mavalli) for an evening snack. This is the review:
Rava Idly - Wife took a bite and pushed the plate away. I found the saagu stale and the idly itself bad.
Masala Dose - Just about OK but could not compare it to the one in Mavalli.
Coffee - Pretty good, nothing to complain about but the price.

They did not charge us for the Rava Idly which is a +

Avoid this place I don't think it will be around for a long time at this rate.
ssingri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 12:11   #1318
Team-BHP Support
 
benbsb29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 8,012
Thanked: 3,455 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Agree. I went there a few months back and got their take away "world's first Biryani in a box" . Wasn't impressed with the taste at all. It was very bland. If you want to try some authentic Hyderabadi Biryani around Marathahalli, try the Biryani Zone near Food Zone. The taste is good, although it might be a bit spicy for people from the North.
Ammis Biriyani looked good, but the taste buds didnt feel much to savour. I tried them only once, but the packaging was good for a takeaway.

Newpunter, where exactly is Food zone? Heard of the place, but cant seem to remember where it is!

For good Hyderabadi Biriyani around Marathalli, try Biriyani Day. Its a small place, and no parking facilities, but the Biriyani is awesome, and worth it.
To get there, take the road near Brand Factory which leads towards Tulsi theatre, and keep proceeding till you find Amul Biriyani on your right hand side. Bang opposite this, you can find Biriyani Day.

Since i stay close by, i walk down to the place, and buy biriyanis from here on a very regular basis.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 12:21   #1319
BHPian
 
Newpunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 655
Thanked: 63 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Newpunter, where exactly is Food zone? Heard of the place, but cant seem to remember where it is!

For good Hyderabadi Biriyani around Marathalli, try Biriyani Day. Its a small place, and no parking facilities, but the Biriyani is awesome, and worth it.
To get there, take the road near Brand Factory which leads towards Tulsi theatre, and keep proceeding till you find Amul Biriyani on your right hand side. Bang opposite this, you can find Biriyani Day.

Since i stay close by, i walk down to the place, and buy biriyanis from here on a very regular basis.
Food Zone has 2 branches. One is in Marathahalli, near the Loot Mart, Woodland showroom etc. The main one however, is near Kundalahalli gate.
You have to go towards whitefield on the Airport road and keep going straight near the traffic junction ( where you take a left to go to ITPL ). It is just around 50m after that traffic junction on your left, opposite to some big marriage hall. It is quite big and you cannot miss it. There is ample parking space too. The Biryani is very good too.
Haven't tried Biryani Day yet, although I pass by it daily. Will try next time. Thanks.
Newpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 13:04   #1320
BHPian
 
Rocky_Balboa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Namma Bengalooru
Posts: 584
Thanked: 59 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
Thanks for the information. can you please indicate the location? possibly with some land mark.

thanks,
Take the road from Ulsoor police station towards Frank Antony public school. Take the first(only) right, the restaurant is to Your left and behind the Muthoot bankers building.

Edit:

Benny,
You cannot miss the Biriyani zone, just follow NewPunter's direction. It sits next to the Apollo Clinic and right opposite to the SKR Convention hall.

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 20th July 2010 at 13:09.
Rocky_Balboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai khanak Shifting gears 1136 26th October 2017 15:37
A Guide: Eating out in Chennai Proxima Shifting gears 601 12th February 2017 20:14
A Guide: Eating out in Pune abhijitaparadh Shifting gears 557 6th January 2017 02:10
A Guide: Eating out in Delhi/NCR tsk1979 Shifting gears 574 27th October 2016 10:14
A Guide: Eating out in Kolkata (Calcutta) planet_rocker Shifting gears 88 31st October 2015 12:50


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:01.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks