Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 30th January 2008, 19:22   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
As I mentioned at the starting of this post, this is something that I started writing during my MBA days and kept on adding points to it, either through experience, or whenever I came across any useful stuff on the WWW. Hence, there is no single source for this article.
Basically you lied about the whole thing, the whole article was a lift. This is the second time in two days you posting lifted articles without credits. (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-your-car.html (Things to know before getting a GPS system for your car))

We absolutely disallow plagiarism in Team-BHP, please do not repeat this.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2010, 10:52   #17
Team-BHP Support

How to beat the puzzler interviewers: If Richard Feynman applied for a job at Microsoft - sellsbrothers.com

I never understood the need for puzzle solving in a technical interview. Frankly, I think it is a rookie technique used by interviewers who don't know how to evaluate the candidate.

PS: Richard Feynman was my idol while growing up. I have read his two part autobiography many many times. It influenced my thinking during college days.

Last edited by Samurai : 4th November 2010 at 10:54.
Old 4th November 2010, 10:57   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
How to beat the puzzler interviewers: If Richard Feynman applied for a job at Microsoft - sellsbrothers.com

I never understood the need for puzzle solving in a technical interview. Frankly, I think it is a rookie technique used by interviewers who don't know how to evaluate the candidate.
Fully agree.

FWIW, Microsoft interviews used to feature a few puzzle questions more than 10 years ago. But for last decade or so, the official HR policy is that puzzle questions aren't to be asked at interviews. However, a few interviewers in Microsoft (very very rare) still ask the occasional puzzle question.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2010, 11:03   #19
Team-BHP Support

I was asked the 12 balls with one of them having a different weight question in an interview.

I promptly tore up the sheet, made it into 12 small balls and demonstrated the answer.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2010, 11:08   #20
Senior - BHPian

To me that entire conversation is qualified for official joke thread here. The interviewer keeps asking something & the candidate keeps telling something. If this were technical round, I would reject the candidate immediately for not answering to the point. I hate this type of puzzle interviews.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2010, 11:43   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Interviewer: But just considering the round ones, why are they round?

Feynman: If we are just considering the round ones, then they are round by definition. That statement is a tautology.
Absolute gem of an answer
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2010, 11:47   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
The interviewer keeps asking something & the candidate keeps telling something. If this were technical round, I would reject the candidate immediately for not answering to the point.
Just curious, do you know about Richard Feynman?
Old 4th November 2010, 11:53   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just curious, do you know about Richard Feynman?
You're bang right sir; I don't know who he is; got to know from Wiki - my due respects to his work on science.
But I still cannot accept that interview answers seriously.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2010, 11:58   #24
Senior - BHPian

Answers need not be taken seriously, this is an article written to taunt such questions.

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 4th November 2010 at 12:00. Reason: typo
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2010, 12:07   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
You're bang right sir; I don't know who he is; got to know from Wiki - my due respects to his work on science.
But I still cannot accept that interview answers seriously.
His work in science, almost forgot about that.

He was probably the most imaginative mind of 20th century. There is no way you can measure him by reading wiki. Instead, read the first part of his autobiography, which is one of the funniest book I have read.

Amazon.com: Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman! (Adventures of a Curious Character) (9780393316049): Richard P. Feynman, Ralph Leighton, Edward Hutchings, Albert R. Hibbs: Books

In the middle of WW-II, he cracked the safe that contained the secret documents of the making of atomic bomb. But they didn't have to arrest him for it since he did have official clearance to those documents.
Old 4th November 2010, 13:06   #26
BHPian

@Samurai, you mentioned 2 part autobiography. I have read the first one. Which is the second?
Jaguar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2010, 13:36   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
@Samurai, you mentioned 2 part autobiography. I have read the first one. Which is the second?
This one: Amazon.com: What Do You Care What Other People Think?: Further Adventures of a Curious Character (9780393320923): Richard P. Feynman, Ralph Leighton: Books

It is less comical and more thought provoking, even sad in some parts.
Old 4th November 2010, 19:10   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

PS: Richard Feynman was my idol while growing up. I have read his two part autobiography many many times. It influenced my thinking during college days.
reminds me of the barometer question. I tend to think I have seen an even longer version somewhere.

Niels Bohr / On Being a Student
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote