Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 12th February 2010, 11:54   #121
Senior - BHPian

About that not cutting nails or shaving after daylight might be due to safety reasons in those old days. During those days, there was no electricity and also no proper nail-cutters or shaving kit, so chances of getting hurt was more. Nowadays this thing doesn't apply.
And about the lizzard thingy, in my place it's exactly opposite i.e. it's a good omen if I remember correctly.
But whatever, a funny, light-headed thread.
kaushik_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 13:07   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
No buying metallic stuff on Saturday is followed.

Up north, most of the hair salons would be closed on Tuesdays. On my recent visit to Pune, I found it was not the case there.
Do you guys down south believe in something like no haircuts/washes on Tuesday?
We don't buy any leather stuff on Saturday. We also don't wear anything new made from leather on Saturday, includes shoes, belts, jackets among other things.

In my family, we don't hair wash/cut on Saturday. No nail cutting on Saturday. Not even apply hair oil on Saturday.
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 16:48   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
.......2. whenever I pass a shrine or temple or church I involuntarily make a little prayer for safe journeys......
That's fine but I've come across a few who take this to an extreme. They turn their heads and keep looking at the temple or shrine and praying till they have moved so much past it that they can't see it anymore.

Their prayers have obviously worked as they're still alive.
straightdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 20:12   #124
Senior - BHPian

Smile

When I took Delivery of Vista QJD from Concorde,Kochi/cochin ,They Put Lemons in front of each wheels ,touching the wheels.then ,asked Me to steer Right ,run over all lemons exiting their Showroom.Is this some newly "invented" Superstition?
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 21:45   #125
Senior - BHPian

Oh this happens a lot!

Okay I have a funny incident related to one of the superstitions.

It was my first day at an internship and I was driving to the office with a friend. We were driving under the metro line, when suddenly a lizard dropped in through the window and onto my lap...
It was a weird shock and I accidentally banged the car in front of me... The impact was very gentle so no abusing and fighting over it.

I apologized to the sardarji in the other car and told him what had happened. We all left laughing.

It was totally freaky! A dumbass lizard dropping onto the driver's lap!
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2010, 18:12   #126
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Trukkers tying a lemon in front of their trucks and a single chappal behind for the truck to run problem-free.

These are all duly acknowledged and ridiculed by Tamil comedian Vivek.

If you have seen that comedy scene, you will be just like the smiley on this post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post

The scene where he asks the driver "what is this lemon going to help with the 700 odd parts in you truck is not going to help" - thats a good one!

But the chappals - thats a new one!
TOTALLY AGREE. but this is what i stumbled into in the super cars thread. it got me rolling on the floor. stumped. and i have been asked to mention it here so that it doesnt hurt a few sentiments.

ANd now I am laughing twice as much. Hope the smileys dont hold a protest for over-usage

Name:  jag2.jpg
Views: 962
Size:  55.0 KB

Note from Support: Not more than 2 smilies allowed per post. Please go through the rules before proceeding.

Last edited by Eddy : 17th February 2010 at 19:25.
octaneoverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2010, 11:25   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
actually there is a reason for this:

Plants give out CO2 and take in O2 in the night.
WSU | Ask Dr. Universe | The BIG Questions

also after sunset it is difficult to see any insects.
If I'm not wrong PEEPAL is the only tree that breathes out oxygen even in the dark. i.e after sunset. So contrary to other trees its safer under a peepal tree but then an old (CHITAKATHA" story comes to mind that the peepal looks omnious due to its hanging branches & depicts 'WITCH" in the olden days. Thus the superstition.
vijaypalsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2010, 11:44   #128
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
We don't buy any leather stuff on Saturday. We also don't wear anything new made from leather on Saturday, includes shoes, belts, jackets among other things.

In my family, we don't hair wash/cut on Saturday. No nail cutting on Saturday. Not even apply hair oil on Saturday.
what's with saturday why is it all allowed on other days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by octaneoverdose View Post
TOTALLY AGREE. but this is what i stumbled into in the super cars thread. it got me rolling on the floor. stumped. and i have been asked to mention it here so that it doesnt hurt a few sentiments.

ANd now I am laughing twice as much. Hope the smileys dont hold a protest for over-usage

Attachment 289787

Note from Support: Not more than 2 smilies allowed per post. Please go through the rules before proceeding.
A Jag with a lemon...lol

Last edited by bblost : 18th February 2010 at 11:47. Reason: Please use multi quote when quoting multiple messages. Thanks.
Hypercar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 09:21   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
When I took Delivery of Vista QJD from Concorde,Kochi/cochin ,They Put Lemons in front of each wheels ,touching the wheels.then ,asked Me to steer Right ,run over all lemons exiting their Showroom.Is this some newly "invented" Superstition?
Posting the answer late, yet better than not giving. Yes, its a common ritual here in Tamilnadu. I also remember seeing pics of this in TBhp on somebody taking their Ritz or some Maruti car & the showroom guys even arrange for a priest to carry out the rituals that includes 4 lemons. Looks like the dealers have all possible way for commissions

Oh!!! yes, if you ask if I'm supersticous, yes ofcourse I'm; I don't take pics of any of my rides. I used to take two of my rides Max100 & KL registered Rx & I'd to sell both of them for no reason. Ever since then I gave up taking pics of my rides & added more rides to my garage.

Last edited by aargee : 5th April 2010 at 09:23.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 09:46   #130
Senior - BHPian

The "running over lemons" ritual will be performed by 99% of vehicle buyers in TN. The show room guys will perform it by default, unless you tell them otherwise. Even used car buyers will perform it. It stems from the practice of offering some sacrifice - usually some small animal or bird - in the days of yore. The vermilion applied on the lemons symbolizes spilled blood. It is supposed to propitiate the vehicle and ward off any future accidents!

Most of you guys must have observed a vermilion covered pumpkin being sacrificed/broken on specific days. The meaning is the same.

That reminds me of an old joke. A bloke buys a used car through a broker. Car is taken to a nearby temple, puja is performed and everyone gets in to the car. The man starts the car, engages first gear and tries to move off, but the car stalls. He tries again, with the same result! After a few attempts, they get down to see what the problem is, and find a lemon under each wheel! Annoyed, he looks at the broker sharply and the fellow says defensively "sir, I told in advance vehicle will not climb inclines easily"! (Vandi medu erathunnu sonnen sir!).
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 11:33   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octaneoverdose View Post
TOTALLY AGREE. but this is what i stumbled into in the super cars thread. it got me rolling on the floor. stumped.
Why should it stump you, you have not migrated to India from Europe recently, have you?

Perhaps on the other hand you think people buying super cars are a more enlightened species not given to superstition?
Old 5th April 2010, 11:38   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Perhaps on the other hand you think people buying super cars are a more enlightened species not given to superstition?
Gansan Sir, even I was surprised to see that; made me feel that people owning Merc or Maruti, when it comes to belief, everyone's human. Actually I haven't seen any exotic having such hangings, but have seen God's idols inside. So it was more of a surprise than stumping.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 11:11   #133
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Why should it stump you, you have not migrated to India from Europe recently, have you?

If one can afford to buy a super expensive car, he/she definitely can't afford to be superstitious. or at least not be so conspicuous about it.

and for the record. lemons are supposed to generate enormous positive energy and absorb negative energy. that's why the lemons for all the super-rituals. but unfortunately they've just become fixtures that people can't understand but are afraid of. that's why I find it funny.
octaneoverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 11:35   #134
Senior - BHPian

Belief in superstition increases in direct proportion to one's money. And science has nothing to do with it, it is a belief system. Who knows what superstitions are followed before rocket launches at Sriharikota?!
Old 17th April 2010, 22:29   #135
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default No car on tuesdays.

I avoid driving the car on tuesdays because somehow i have had bad experiences on tuesdays.Had a near collision with a amby once,then with a sumo once,then once had my car's wheels scraping against the divider and some little things like that.All these happened on a tuesday making me feel that driving the car on tuesday seems to be jinxed in some way.

On a postive note i can say that all the incidents that happened did not end in a serious note in anyway for which i am thankful to the lord for.But i guess they were enough to give me the creeps not to venture out in my 800 on a tuesday.
sumeethaldankar is online now   Reply With Quote