Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2013, 10:58   #361
Senior - BHPian
 
goandude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,333
Thanked: 436 Times
Default Re: All Income Tax Queries (refunds, disputes, rates etc...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
This notice is valid. My sister got a notice from IT in 2008 for a similar scrutiny where her CC had a spending of more than 2 lakhs. Please get help from a CA and immediately draft a reply to this notice. If you do not reply, they will send further reminders and it could get serious. I recall my sister had to get all bank statements, details of anything purchased with the money/ credit card during that year. Your CA should be able to guide you.
From a future perspective, please ask your company to issue a corporate credit card and use the same for official use, so that you are not pulled up.
.
Thanks, I went myself and it was not a very unpleasant experience. However like you said the ITO went into complete details of income and expenditure. Eventually, he caught me out in the interest in savings account and sweep account amounting to 8k which I hadn't shown in itr. In that year the bank didn't cut TDS on sweep account like it does nowadays. Lets see how it goes now.
goandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2013, 11:00   #362
BHPian
 
Sommos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bhilai, CG.
Posts: 984
Thanked: 673 Times
Default Re: All Income Tax Queries (refunds, disputes, rates etc...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
My wife and I have a home loan on the house we live in.

I pay 100% of the EMI's and claim tax benefits.

My wife owns another flat in her own name. This flat does not have any loan on it.

Does it make more sense to live in that(fully owned) flat while l claim tax benefits with the unlimited interest write off?
Is it legal?

What if both the flats are occupied by us and/or parents?
i.e. there is no rental income on either of them.

Please advice.
I will try to answer your question :
a. On the self-occupied house your interest rebate will be restricted to 1.5L per annum.

b. In case you shift to the flat and give this house on rent, you can claim the full amount of interest as rebate even if the amount is more than 1.5L.

c. An individual can claim one house property as self occupied. This is applicable even if the individual is living in a seperate city due to his occupation or service. In your case you can claim one property as self occupied and your wife can claim the flat as self occupied.

However, if both the property is claimed as self occupied, then your interest rebate will be restricted to 1.5L only.

Hope this would help in your tax planning.
Sommos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2013, 12:10   #363
BHPian
 
bnzjon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 835
Thanked: 121 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post

I will try to answer your question :
a. On the self-occupied house your interest rebate will be restricted to 1.5L per annum.

b. In case you shift to the flat and give this house on rent, you can claim the full amount of interest as rebate even if the amount is more than 1.5L.

c. An individual can claim one house property as self occupied. This is applicable even if the individual is living in a seperate city due to his occupation or service. In your case you can claim one property as self occupied and your wife can claim the flat as self occupied.

However, if both the property is claimed as self occupied, then your interest rebate will be restricted to 1.5L only.

Hope this would help in your tax planning.
Does the same rule of full amount of interest as rebate on second property apply if the loan on the first property is fully paid (no dues) and a fresh loan starts on the second property (second loan is taken after closure of first loan) ?
bnzjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2013, 12:31   #364
Senior - BHPian
 
mjothi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,252
Thanked: 216 Times
Default Re: All Income Tax Queries (refunds, disputes, rates etc...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
Does the same rule of full amount of interest as rebate on second property apply if the loan on the first property is fully paid (no dues) and a fresh loan starts on the second property (second loan is taken after closure of first loan) ?
I think yes. The rebate is at a given point of time - so if you have a existing loan (may be 2nd or 3rd property) you can still get interest rebate.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2013, 12:41   #365
BHPian
 
bnzjon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 835
Thanked: 121 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post

I think yes. The rebate is at a given point of time - so if you have a existing loan (may be 2nd or 3rd property) you can still get interest rebate.
Thanks buddy.
My question is - is this applicable if I have only one loan at the time of claiming 100 pct rebate on interest portion ? (Previous loan is fully paid a year back).

Last edited by bnzjon : 3rd August 2013 at 12:42.
bnzjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2013, 17:40   #366
BHPian
 
Sommos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bhilai, CG.
Posts: 984
Thanked: 673 Times
Default Re: All Income Tax Queries (refunds, disputes, rates etc...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
Does the same rule of full amount of interest as rebate on second property apply if the loan on the first property is fully paid (no dues) and a fresh loan starts on the second property (second loan is taken after closure of first loan) ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
Thanks buddy.
My question is - is this applicable if I have only one loan at the time of claiming 100 pct rebate on interest portion ? (Previous loan is fully paid a year back).
It is irrespective of the no. of loans, but depends on the no. of house property.

The full amount of interest is allowed as rebate only if the second HP is let out. The moment you show the second HP as self occupied, the interest rebate is restricted to 1.5L.
Sommos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2013, 22:41   #367
BHPian
 
bnzjon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 835
Thanked: 121 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post

It is irrespective of the no. of loans, but depends on the no. of house property.

The full amount of interest is allowed as rebate only if the second HP is let out. The moment you show the second HP as self occupied, the interest rebate is restricted to 1.5L.
Thanks Sommos.
How is the tax treatment during the construction period of second property (yet to let out) ? Can I get a 100 pct rebate on the interest portion ?
bnzjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2013, 11:45   #368
BHPian
 
Sommos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bhilai, CG.
Posts: 984
Thanked: 673 Times
Default Re: All Income Tax Queries (refunds, disputes, rates etc...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
Thanks Sommos.
How is the tax treatment during the construction period of second property (yet to let out) ? Can I get a 100 pct rebate on the interest portion ?
During the construction period you are not eligible for any deduction.
Deduction can be claimed only after you obtain the completion certificate from the Municipality etc., as the case may be. Pre-construction period interest is to be claimed along with your normal interest in the first five years.

Note - the construction has to be completed with three years from the AY in which the loan is granted.
Sommos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 11:22   #369
BHPian
 
bnzjon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 835
Thanked: 121 Times
Default

Has anyone received acknowledgement for ITR V send to CPC Bangalore ?

Last year I received the same in a weeks time after posting the ITRV to CPC Bangalore. This year I filed e-return on 30/Jul and sent the forms to CPC the same day. Yet to receive the acknowledgement.
bnzjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 23:54   #370
BHPian
 
nareshov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 268
Thanked: 165 Times
Default Re: All Income Tax Queries (refunds, disputes, rates etc...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
Has anyone received acknowledgement for ITR V send to CPC Bangalore ?
...
I received my receipt on 17th.
nareshov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2013, 23:57   #371
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Paradise (wish it was)
Posts: 313
Thanked: 91 Times
Default Re: All Income Tax Queries (refunds, disputes, rates etc...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
Has anyone received acknowledgement for ITR V send to CPC Bangalore ?...Yet to receive the acknowledgement.
There was a flood of online ITR submissions this year, especially towards the end of July. Anyways, I guess the turnaround time is 120 days(which is for the submission alone) and hence you can expect it anytime in next 3-4 months (worst case).

BTW, that reminds me, I have not posted the ITRV yet to CPC. I should aim to do it tomorrow :P
null is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2013, 11:28   #372
BHPian
 
bnzjon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 835
Thanked: 121 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post

I received my receipt on 17th.
Thanks.
May i know when was the return filed ?
bnzjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2013, 23:01   #373
BHPian
 
nareshov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 268
Thanked: 165 Times
Default Re: All Income Tax Queries (refunds, disputes, rates etc...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
Thanks.
May i know when was the return filed ?
Returns was filed on 28 Jul.
nareshov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 19:28   #374
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,781
Thanked: 378 Times
Default Re: All Income Tax Queries (refunds, disputes, rates etc...)

Received a letter from IT department.
All Income Tax Queries (refunds, disputes, rates etc...)-img_20130824_093432.jpg
I am unable to understand what it means though.

Any clue?
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 19:53   #375
Senior - BHPian
 
Warwithwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,251
Thanked: 1,013 Times
Default Re: All Income Tax Queries (refunds, disputes, rates etc...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Received a letter from IT department.
Attachment 1128590
I am unable to understand what it means though.

Any clue?
Lemme try to decode!

As per the IT Records, you have claimed a refund while filing the returns for the AY 2009 - 10.

As per the IT Records, you also have a tax demand in arrears for the periods prior to AY 2009 - 10.

The letter says that, your refund has been adjusted against the earlier year tax arrears.

Solution:

Option 1: If you are salaried and the amount is not significant, just ignore it.

Option 2: If you are a professional or business man and the amount is material, seek professional help!

Have they attached the computation sheet along with the letter, describing the adjustment mechanism?

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 24th August 2013 at 19:56.
Warwithwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tax on Tax? Road tax should be calculated on ex-factory price (not ex-showroom)! SILVERWOOD The Indian Car Scene 88 30th July 2017 12:39
Luxury cars outnumber tax-paying millionaires! Income tax evasion? Nav-i-gator Shifting gears 26 7th May 2016 09:35
Govt. to remove income tax exemptions and deductions. Please comment against it..... satish_appasani Shifting gears 15 15th May 2007 21:13
Road tax or income tax? SLK The Indian Car Scene 6 5th October 2004 14:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:49.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks