Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 8th February 2008, 12:40   #16
BHPian

Guys,Thanks a lot for all your suggestions.

I am also now inclined to transport her using train.Even my vet advised me not to use air shifting as the chances of the dog making it alive are very slim.If something of that sort happens,I am sure I will never be forgiven in my life time.

I was going thru Indian railways website y'day and it mentions that pets could be transported in First Class A\c.I am planning to book the 2berth cabins and keep Pepsi with me.

But trains running between Pune - Coimbatore do not have First class at all :-(

So now planning to do Pune to Chennai and then from Chennai to Coimbatore.Hope Pepsi adapts to this journey.

Will keep you updated on the plans
jraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2008, 12:47   #17
Senior - BHPian

If you get it by flight, it is mandatory to have a cage for the dog. And yes, it will be placed in the cargo hold, and not in the passenger cabin. I doubt there would be any other paperwork for domestic travel, but you will have to pay the weight of the dog + cage as excess baggage which could be quite a lot for a full grown lab.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2008, 12:49   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Or you can try Pune - Bangalore - Coimbatore. May be shorter.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2008, 14:34   #19
BHPian

Default Medication use - consult vet

When we brought our dogs, I recall giving them something to them (on the vet's advise). One of the dogs, she was prone to nausea/vomiting in the car and with the meds, both dogs were more calm and manageable - do consult your vet on this one.
johy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2008, 15:03   #20
BHPian

Hi,

Train # 2163 Chennai Express from Pune to B'lore. Leaves Pune 12.10 AM (10 mins past midnight) and reaches Chennai 7.35 PM the same day. Fare for I AC per passenger Rs. 2400 Approx.

Train # 2673 Cheran Express from Chennai Central to Coimbatore. Leaves Chennai at 10.10 Pm and arrives Coimbatore at 6.10 AM the following morning. Fare for I AC per passenger Rs.1425 Approx.

You can take your Lab. along in the compartment with you. I would recommend planning and booking rightaway. I checked for 28th Feb and only 2 tickets were available.

You might consider Pune - B'lore - Coimbatore. But I dont think you have any trains from B'lore to Coimbatore with AC I class. Alternate would be hiring a cab from B'lore to Coimbatore.

Please feel free to PM me if you need help with cab bookings from B'lore.

Cheers,
Rajan

PS: I have a Lab myself

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 8th February 2008 at 15:04.
PatchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2008, 15:30   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Hi,

Train # 2163 Chennai Express from Pune to B'lore. Leaves Pune 12.10 AM (10 mins past midnight) and reaches Chennai 7.35 PM the same day. Fare for I AC per passenger Rs. 2400 Approx.

Train # 2673 Cheran Express from Chennai Central to Coimbatore. Leaves Chennai at 10.10 Pm and arrives Coimbatore at 6.10 AM the following morning. Fare for I AC per passenger Rs.1425 Approx.
Hai,
Even I was considering those 2 trains only.Pune - Bangalore - Coimbatore is not possible as no trains have First class compartment from Bangalore to Coimbatore.
I havent booked the tickets yet.One thing is for sure.I will leave Pune only when I get booking on 2 berth First class coupe. :-)
Old 8th February 2008, 16:45   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Hi jraj,

Dogs can be also taken in 1st Class by train. I got my two dogs all the way from Delhi to Siliguri that way a few years back. You have to make sure you book the cabin. I had two tickets (for me and my wife) and although the seats were in different cabins, we requested the TT to have it adjusted in one cabin - a thank you and a tip helped.

That way we got the dogs without much problem at all.

That would be the best option if you have a train from pune with I class, they are almost extinct now.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2008, 16:52   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraj View Post
One thing is for sure.I will leave Pune only when I get booking on 2 berth First class coupe. :-)
I presume you are talking about 1st AC & not First Class - for 1st AC, you will not know till the day of the journey if you are getting a "coupe" or not. Your ticket will only indicate "Confirmed". You can try & contact them the day the charts are prepared......not sure if that would work though

Last edited by suman : 8th February 2008 at 16:54.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2008, 17:14   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I presume you are talking about 1st AC & not First Class - for 1st AC, you will not know till the day of the journey if you are getting a "coupe" or not. Your ticket will only indicate "Confirmed". You can try & contact them the day the charts are prepared......not sure if that would work though
absolutely, normally it is alloted to couples if not the TTE can be requested.
PRADEEP KUMAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2008, 17:21   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
1st AC is always a 2 berth cabin. should cost you as much as a plane ticket per head.

not sure what railways rules say though.
Its sometimes also a 4 berth cabin. It costs a little less than a plane ticket. Basically you can do whatever you want in your cabin as long as noone else in the cabin objects. For example if you have booked 3 out of the 4 berths and the 4th passenger objects to your dog being there you will have to shift the dog to the luggage van.

Like someone mentioned the 2 berth cabins are given to either MPs or couples. If you know a MP all you have to do is make them sign a letter requesting for the 2 berth cabin and you will get it.

Good luck with your shift JRAJ and I hope you get Pepsi to your new home without any problems.

Last edited by khanak : 8th February 2008 at 17:28.
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2008, 17:47   #26
RAC
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,Thanks a lot for all your suggestions.

I am also now inclined to transport her using train.Even my vet advised me not to use air shifting as the chances of the dog making it alive are very slim.If something of that sort happens,I am sure I will never be forgiven in my life time.

I was going thru Indian railways website y'day and it mentions that pets could be transported in First Class A\c.I am planning to book the 2berth cabins and keep Pepsi with me.

But trains running between Pune - Coimbatore do not have First class at all :-(

So now planning to do Pune to Chennai and then from Chennai to Coimbatore.Hope Pepsi adapts to this journey.

Will keep you updated on the plans

I just notices this thread. Brought back a lot of old memories. We have travelled a lot (north to south) with our Lhasa Apso and not for fun. THis was about 15-20 years ago.
We used the same option - 1st AC coaches. Sometimes we were lucky and got the 2 seaters, other times 4 seaters. SOmetimes other passangers did object but since the dog was small breed, it was never a big issue.

Where possible, we broke the jouney and stopped by at a relatives place (someone with no dog issues).

Just be sure to take out your dog for short strolls at the stations where the train stops for a decent duration (if you ahead with this option)

All the best.
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2008, 19:24   #27
BHPian

Quote:
For that kind of money,I prefer to air shift her.I think only Jet airways accept pets in its cargo.They charge around 70Rs\kg.I will have to buy a cage and the charges will be for the weight of Dog+the cage.But the problem here is that they will tranquilise the dog and at time the tranquilisation combined with the trauma for the dog during the flight could be fatal.

I am worried a lot now.Pepsi is part of the family and hence parting ways with her in Pune itself is out of the question.

Has anybody air shifted a dog before?Please post some Do's and Dont's on this.
I have received two dogs via air, and both were not tranquilised. I don't know if this is something new, but I got my dog last year.

One was a pup and the other was an adult. (Pugs)

Both dogs came fine, very healthy and cheerful. Only thing was they were dirty from having pissed inside the cage.

So I'm pretty sure lab will be perfectly fine, as they are much stronger.

The only precautions you should take is not to feed the dog immediately before the flight and make sure it takes a dump & give it plenty of water.

My friends get dogs from abroad, and they typically waait in airports for a while for connecting flights. I have never heard of one dying. Maybe very young pups might be at risk.

jsut my 2 cents
simplythebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2008, 20:14   #28
BHPian

Thanks a lot for all your suggestion.

I think I would be able to get the 2 berth coupe as my wife also will be accompanying me.So me\wifey\Pepsi would be sharing it.

Can anyone let me know when these coupe\cabin will be alloted.Will it be at the start of the journey or before?If its at the start of the journey,then I will have to board the train from Mumbai to avoid those coupe getting allotted to someone else from Mumbai itself?

PS:Any Bhp-ian driving down from Mumbai\Pune to Bangalore in March and willing to take a Lab with you in the vehicle,pls inform me.

I just wanted to keep couple of options open.
Old 8th February 2008, 21:01   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Its sometimes also a 4 berth cabin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR View Post
absolutely, normally it is alloted to couples if not the TTE can be requested.
ok, that makes sense, though i didn't notice any 4 brth coupe in the train i was travelling.

Quote:
Can anyone let me know when these coupe\cabin will be alloted.Will it be at the start of the journey or before?If its at the start of the journey,then I will have to board the train from Mumbai to avoid those coupe getting allotted to someone else from Mumbai itself?
quite possibly at the start of the journey. after which your are left with your luck. but it's best to contact railways.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2008, 16:23   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for all your suggestion.

In my case, we were not sure it would be a single coupe, and it wasn't, one seat was in one coupe and the other in the next and there was no way we could know earlier. We had to ask the other occupant to move to the 4-berth coupe. Perhaps things have changed now. Whatever, I would suggest you taking the coupe from Mumbai itself.
johy is offline   Reply With Quote