Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 21st September 2013, 04:38   #91
BHPian

Default Re: Relocating to the UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindabad.sailor View Post
Digging out quite an old thread.

I am evaluating an offer to relocate to the UK for a period of 2 years.

1. What are the maximum monthly expenses for such a family.
2. What percentage is income tax calculated at.
3. Apartment rents - latest in London's neighbouring area.
4. Used Car cost and insurance for cars like Ford Focus or similar.
5. Schooling expenses. I know council schools are free but are they worth? How about Private schools.
6. Any other expenses that I am not counting on?

How is work environment? Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't seem to be true European but more American. (Not as employee centred as scandanavians but more employer centred like American organisations)

Need first hand experienced advices. I need to evaluate the offer.

Rgds.
Hi Sindabad,

A lot of answers here are London specific and the rents being quoted are central london ones (1-2k per week). You can very easily get 2 bed flats in outer London with excellent train connections into London for 1k per month.

However as you will be working in Southampton, here are answers from my experience:
1. What are the maximum monthly expenses for such a family.
This is very difficult to say. Four people cooking primarily at home with eating out once a week and ordering pizza once a week will be 100. This is eating at a normal chain restaurant and ordering from Dominos or a local pizza shop. If you go for a lot of movies, there is a cinema chain called Cineworld wherein you can get an unlimited movie card for 16 a month. I single ticket costs 8-10 so you can do the maths. Factor in rent which will not be more than 700-1000 for a 3 bed flat in Southampton depending on the location. Add in Council tax + utility bills (electricity/gas, water, tel, internet, mobile, tv) and you are looking at atleast another 300.

2. What percentage is income tax calculated at.
Visit this website (http://www.listentotaxman.com/)

3. Apartment rents - latest in London's neighbouring area.
Southampton - You need to visit some local websites. Visit www.rightmove.co.uk or www.zoopla.co.uk. My suggestion - Find the postcode of your headoffice and type that into the the above websites. This will give you an indication of the rent near your office. You can choose how far away you want to live from your office. Once you like a few properties, google good schools in those areas.

4. Used Car cost and insurance for cars like Ford Focus or similar.
If your coming for a short period, not worth it as you will be paying a hefty insurance premium. There are lots of mouth watering deals on used cars however the insurance is usually as much! A quick search on www.autotrader.co.uk or www.ebay.co.uk will give you an indication.

5. Schooling expenses. I know council schools are free but are they worth? How about Private schools.
Only 7.4% of UK children going to school are in private education, the rest are all in normal state (aka council) schools. Average cost of going to a private school is atleast 10-12k per year. Not all council schools are bad and if your child is intelligent enough they can apply to a Grammar school (a state funded school for intelligent children with very high standards). However you need to be living in the catchment area (within a certain distance of the school). Private schools are very good for making "connections" if you can afford them.

6. Any other expenses that I am not counting on?
These depend on your lifestyle. Holidays, traveling to India, house furniture etc if you take a non furnished flat, phone contracts, groceries etc etc.

Southampton has a big Indian population with many Gurudwaras as well. There are some good Indian restaurants and shops to buy Indian staff.

At the end of the day you need to weigh your decision a lot on how much you will be paid as that will decide what kind of a lifestyle you could have.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any more info.
Brabus E V12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2013, 18:22   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Relocating to the UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
IBy the way... 1977? Wow, you've held a full UK licence far longer than I have!
Oops. I took my license in 1974 and not 1977. I left in Nov. 1976. Age does dull the memory.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote