Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 6th March 2008, 12:12   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Default ‘We were paid to welcome U-19 heroes'

Mid-Day - Article
Quote:
We were paid to welcome U-19 heroes'Author: Savie Karnel Date: 05 Jan 2008
80 college kids (who had not even heard of U-19) were hired by event mgt company. Girls paid Rs 1,000 each, boys Rs 200, to cheer returning World Cup winners

Bangalore: Eighty fans who thronged Bangalore airport to welcome India’s U-19 cricket heroes yesterday, were not fans. They were paid to be there. MiD DAY discovered that the girls were paid Rs 1,000 each and the boys Rs 200 to stand and wave the Tricolour and cheer as the team, who routed South Africa, emerged from the airport terminal building.

In fact, the ‘fans’ did not know the name of a single U-19 cricketer.

The team had arrived in Bangalore yesterday for a felicitation ceremony. Event management company, DNA, had hired the students. Vinay, who was managing the crowd, said, “I work for a firm that supplies people to DNA for their events. We are paying the students to be here,” he said. Arga, a TYBCom student said, “DNA called us and told us to cheer the players. They are paying us Rs 1,000 each.”

Rosy, a ‘fan’, said, “I don’t know any player and I am not interested.” For Sulochana too, this was just a way to earn some pocket money.

Arga added that her group had not been asked to go to the stadium. “It is just an hour’s job. I don’t know anything about the U-19 team. We were told to wait till the team emerged from the airport and then leave,” she said.

Alka, also from Jain College, hoped the players would be “cute”. But she was disappointed when the team made an appearance. “No, they are not cute at all,” she said. The only Bangalorean in the team was Manish Pandey, a TYB Com student in Jain College, but the girls had never heard of him.

Sandesh and Shrikant, from Vijaya College, were angry that boys were being paid just a fifth of what the girls were getting. “I feel cheated,” said Sandesh.

The students used the tricolour to cover their heads as they waited for the U-19 team to arrive.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2008, 12:29   #2
Team-BHP Support

I can't stop laughing at this article...

Quote:
Girls paid Rs 1,000 each, boys Rs 200, to cheer returning World Cup winners
Normally there is a concern that women get paid less than men for the same job. But this is the first time I've heard of women getting paid 5 times as men. Cheers!

Quote:
Alka, also from Jain College, hoped the players would be “cute”. But she was disappointed when the team made an appearance. “No, they are not cute at all,” she said.
That explains the high pay.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2008, 12:31   #3
Team-BHP Support

I am not surprised. I doubted the same when i saw the turn out.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2008, 12:38   #4
BHPian

Lol! thats pathetic. I would have felt like $hit if i were a U-19 player, after reading this.
fash_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2008, 12:43   #5
Team-BHP Support

I think this was done because the public was not expected to come out on the roads. They were busy watching the monkeys getting whipped by the young senior team.
Eddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2008, 13:15   #6
BHPian

And did you guys think all that cheering with that colored stuff that happens at such places are all somebody from the public and doing on their own?

Of course they are either organized by some fans association or some agencies and in 90% of the cases they are paid for that. I don't think this is something new.

After all, I didn't even know that U-19 tourney was on till we reached the final!
appuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2008, 13:20   #7
Senior - BHPian

this is not uncommon at all. all the political rallies do this.
androdev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2008, 13:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

These are the side effects of sensationalism I suppose.
If anything happens anywhere, our media wants to see people's reaction. So when you don't get a reaction then why not manufacture it?
safari_lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2008, 13:33   #9
BHPian

Default even for Anand too..

Sad thing was, Anand's reception was stage managed too. Now with this win, the cricket fever will reach much more higher levels.

i hope other sports get fair amount of attention too.
druva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2008, 13:36   #10
Senior - BHPian

this stuff is way to comon these days,and practically i know a few agencies whom to approach to get all these kind of things done.

a bunch of college kids hired to do the stuff,breifing is given to one of them and they explain their group and the fake show starts,weather its reality or blogs..sad thing everything in the world is turning up in artificial,even the news now days shows all crapy stuff's like the dog ate the snake,magician flying,walking on water etc etc .. now here is our fone number call us and debate..real sad things happening.
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2008, 15:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

The bus carrying the team zoomed down airport road. Looked like no one knew about the event.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2008, 15:24   #12
Team-BHP Support

LMFAO !! couldnt control it. Media media media, they are to be blamed for all these fiascos.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2008, 16:40   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Was expecting to read about a new band group like U2 :(
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2008, 16:49   #14
BHPian

Just looking it from another angle . . . .

What's wrong if they did something to boost the morale of the U-19 team ?! At least no one suffered and some kids made money !!
Now, suppose the crowd was not there, the team would have probably felt discouraged. Although this article would probably have the same effect !!
bikefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2008, 16:53   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Normally there is a concern that women get paid less than men for the same job. But this is the first time I've heard of women getting paid 5 times as men.
Nothing new samurai. Its just a perception.

Way back in 1994 and until 1999 while i was in college i used to work for Hindustan Lever Ltd. during my summer vacations. Job involved marketing and sales of their products at stalls they had put up at popular exhibitions like ICE and other consumer exhibitions / fairs.

Guys were paid 200 rs a day while women were paid as high as 500 rs. But HLL was not hiring us or paying us directly. There used to be an agency that did the hiring and payment.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote