Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 6th March 2008, 19:29   #16
Senior - BHPian

there is too much of construction going on,roads and flyovers are being made,new developments are coming up,metro work have started.(Mumbai Suburbs)

but you cannot say that mumbai is the dirtiest place,look at the town area its clean and all road traffic is systematic.Our suburbs is still under process,once that is done it will be clean.now you cannot find many people spitting littering on the roads as early they used to do.
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2008, 23:56   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Today...with the economic boom, money is not a concern anymore. Just need the initiative.
are you sure? Do you have a say in how the money gets used? below is an example of it being used to buy votes.

NCP holds rally to thank Sharad Pawar for loan waiver
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 00:12   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
are you sure? Do you have a say in how the money gets used? below is an example of it being used to buy votes.

NCP holds rally to thank Sharad Pawar for loan waiver
Sure, thats the initiative part I talked about. Has to come from the Govt. Definitely as a country we are not broke like we were 15 years ago.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 14:28   #19
BHPian

Default Speed Auto2008-kharghar-trash

I am resident of Kharghar. Just last week the speed auto race was concluded in Kharghar. I was very upset to see that neither the organizers of the race, nor CIDCO had taken any measures to provide for proper trash disposal.
What we see is trash left behind by the people who participated in the race. This is a crying shame and I wish someone could force these people to come back and clean the streets of Kharghar as punishment.
shbhrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 14:33   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

I may not be correct, but this was an event for which a lot of infrastructure fees were paid to CIDCO. Shame they didn't clean it up after.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 14:37   #21
Senior - BHPian

Guess they are aiming for the No 1 position -> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...st-cities.html
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 22:01   #22
Senior - BHPian

Merged the Speedrun cleanup thread here.

Well we all know that the goverment is only interested in making money for themselves. So we as citizens have added responsibility if we really want to clean up Mumbai.

I do not litter the streets (Manson can vouch for this ). I always make sure the stuff is kept in my car / pocket till I find a dustbin.
Cold drink bottles are always crushed and disposed of in dust bins.
And I do not have the most irritating habit in the world - SPITTING.
I always make it a point to use the Sulabh Svachalaya to take a leak or use the loo in a hotel.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 23:13   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
there is too much of construction going on,roads and flyovers are being made,new developments are coming up,metro work have started.(Mumbai Suburbs)
I live in a city where allegedly 40% of the world's construction cranes are currently hosted. There is more construction going on here in most of the world's top cities put together. One of the largest suburban rail transportation systems including underground, on the ground and overground legs is being constructed RAPIDLY. This is hardly an excuse.

Quote:
but you cannot say that mumbai is the dirtiest place,look at the town area its clean and all road traffic is systematic.Our suburbs is still under process,once that is done it will be clean.now you cannot find many people spitting littering on the roads as early they used to do.
And therein lies a tale.

Last edited by Steeroid : 7th March 2008 at 23:16.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 23:25   #24
Senior - BHPian

Dust is another thing that is in abundance in Mumbai. Go to any suburb in Mumbai and the air quality is so bad that you cannot drive with the windows open. And the below quote just adds to the chaos and dirt.
Quote:
Ramie,

Agreed but construction happens in every major city of the world. Why is it that we do not find dust / sand / rubble / stones flying around / lying around there ?

Quote:
you cannot find many people spitting littering on the roads as early they used to do.
Sorry but I have to disagree. This has to be the most optimistic statement I heard. Spitting has become such a menace that it is in-voluntary now. In fact I feel if people do not spit they might get withdrawal symptoms.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 23:48   #25
Senior - BHPian

Forget about roads. I find people spitting pan in the stairways and common area of buildings. Would they do the same thing inside their houses?
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 23:51   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Dust is another thing that is in abundance in Mumbai. Go to any suburb in Mumbai and the air quality is so bad that you cannot drive with the windows open.
When I visited Bombay, what struck me were the sight of some apartment buildings with paint totally stripped off and black patches all over (Chembur area). I was told this is because of air pollution (chemicals). Not sure if its that or just plain neglect. Ha vent seen this phenom in other (poorer)cities.
Old 8th March 2008, 00:07   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
When I visited Bombay, what struck me were the sight of some apartment buildings with paint totally stripped off and black patches all over (Chembur area). I was told this is because of air pollution (chemicals).
Naah. They're just too lazy to paint. Most of them havent seen paint since they were first built. My cousin lives in an apartment called Evershine in Versova. He joking refers to it as 'Nevershine'. It hasnt seen paint since the '80s.

I've always wondered what the people that live in those buildings think of when they come back home from a hard day's work. Its not that they cannot afford to paint those buildings - some of those dirty, unpainted buildings house some really fancy interiors with the best of stuff from around the world.. I guess its just that they cant be bothered about how it looks on the outside. Or they dont care.

Last edited by Steeroid : 8th March 2008 at 00:13.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2008, 09:18   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Its not that they cannot afford to paint those buildings - some of those dirty, unpainted buildings house some really fancy interiors with the best of stuff from around the world.. I guess its just that they cant be bothered about how it looks on the outside. Or they dont care.
Exactly !! My cousin showed me some building and said Sunil Shetty lives there. I was shell shocked. It looked black... like it had just burned down. Even showed me his green E36 BMW there. (OK, this was almost 8-10 years ago)
Old 8th March 2008, 09:46   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I guess its just that they cant be bothered about how it looks on the outside. Or they dont care.
or they want to avoid a visit from a friendly income tax inspector. going overboard on the precaution taken.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote