Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 7th March 2008, 15:39   #1
F50
Senior - BHPian

Default Clean-up Mumbai?

An incident which occurred two or three days before NC posted the thread of, Mumbai, being the 7th Dirtiest City in the world.
May be Mumbai is improving.

I got off at Mahalaxmi Station and caught a cab to Phoenix Mill Compound. I was listening to my iPod, we cleared the Hyundai Service Station which is on the left. The taxi driver slowed down and as if he was looking for parking space. Few blocks ahead he finally got a space and parked. I asked him”Kya hua?” He said “Saab, ek minute mein aata hu.” I thought he went to get some gutka or beedi etc. He did return after the promised time. And as soon as he was about to join the second lane, two guys out of nowhere appeared and asked him to take the taxi back to the left side. The other guy opened the front door and sat inside. I asked him “Boss, problem kya hai?” He very arrogantly said “BMC.” I replied ‘Toh? Mere ko late ho raha, problem hai toh batao nahi toh utro.” Then the other guy politely said that they had seen the driver answering nature’s call behind the bus which the driver was not ready to accept. The “BMC” guys were asking him to pay fine. All these guys were very young, about 18-19 year old. One of them was wearing an id card, one was wearing BMC clean-up shirt which needed a clean-up and other were in casuals.
I had no time to check their id or ask for any proofs, I just turned behind and found no gutka/beedi shop. Driver was guilty. I asked the driver whether he is going to finish this thing off or should I catch another taxi. He was still arguing with those guys. I got off and took another taxi.

I don’t remember reading in newspaper that young boys like these will be hired to catch those people who are littering. Is it fake? Or is it true? Is Mumbai improving?
F50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 15:47   #2
BHPian

F50 : its true, this clean up drive started last year in December. Read in the news papers , they had also mentioned the fine amount collected by these people. Have also seen a lot of these clean-up guys around churchgate , Vt Station and other places.

Good Job indeed!!
SohailPistawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 15:55   #3
F50
Senior - BHPian

I did read about the Clean-up drive but was not sure of these young guys.
F50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 18:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

F50 well its true and i did read about it in the papers but i think that its applicable to areas of south bombay or the town side as the place i stay in the littering and throwing packets are like a common scene.
Well only thing i can say is its a great initiative but would help if we got dustbins which are clean and not stinking at regular intervals.
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote