Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 8th March 2008, 10:30   #1
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Default Abiding passions!!

A lot of us have interests. Some that last a short while and some a lifetime. Just as a way of sharing with each other an insight into what makes each one of us tick lets all share what our long lasting passions have been. I think it would make for some great reading

So here I go about me

Abiding Passions

Washing and cleaning cars. I still wash and clean all our cars. This pet peeve actually once had me wash and clean some friends' cars too in the US as I couldn't see the condition they kept them in!!

Cars and Bikes. Often I've wondered at how this passion seems to outlast everything else

Music. My mother tells me she always had the radio on next to my cradle! I need to have music everywhere, ideally at work too if I had my way!!

Nature. I'm practically outdoors all the time at home under the trees doing something or the other, often just chit chatting enjoying the outdoors

Pets. Can't do without them! Had six monkeys consecutively (have a special fondness for the Indian Rhesus) and always a few dogs at home

Chatting with friends and family. We talk a LOT!!!! And it seems to be getting worse

All things mechanical/tinkering/painting/overhauling/fabricating I deeply enjoy doing things myself and a great deal of work at home gets done by me. Nothing mechanical or electrical fazes me and I find myself taking to it like fish to water!

Philosophy as in a love of truth. The personal quest to understanding existential issues remains the deepest passion and an amazing private journey

Food gosh can we ever get over a good meal??? This remains a big time passion

Interests - On and Off

Photography, writing, architecture, heritage conservation and travel

Would love to hear what drives you!!!

Last edited by DKG : 8th March 2008 at 10:50.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2008, 12:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

With that many interests and passions - do you get the time to work ? hehehe
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2008, 21:47   #3
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
With that many interests and passions - do you get the time to work ? hehehe
Time management my dear sir lets hear what has interested you over time.

By the way this thread is not about me, its about what makes everyone tick.

Last edited by DKG : 8th March 2008 at 21:49.
Old 9th March 2008, 06:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

Nice thread,DKG.

For me,its as follows:

Cooking! I love it,and the best way to unwind after a tiring day at work-cook something elaborate. I mean, a good 1-2 hours in the kitchen! This also includes being a good host to my friends,either by getting some goodies done in the kitchen,or ringing up drinks at parties..

Music..something I just can't do without.

Driving/riding...just can't get enough of it. Hope to get a bike soon,and live the dream of biking around town.

Be informed- I mean it. Be it GQ or current affairs,anything that I find interesting and worthwhile to read.

I'll keep adding more stuff,as it comes to me..
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2008, 15:28   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, just came across this thread...ok heeeere I go......

Classic cars/scooters (of course! ): 'can never live without them! New car I guess I can live without (although certainly would have one as a daily driver atleast- practically speaking.) My presence in just the vintage & classics section of team-bhp says it all! 'nuff said!

'Classic'(?) furniture: I really like old wooden furniture, but not necessarily predominantly old pieces, rather something relatively 'recent', like the ones from the 60s/70s, mainly the ones that had slanted legs if you remember.
I badly want an old decolum topped dining table of that decade! 'always want to go looking for one but eventually slips out of my mind.

'Classic(?)' houses: I love old independent houses/bungalows, again not necessarily ancient ones but those that were built in the 60s/70s, becuase I like the style of architecture of that era. And my favourites are the ones with mosaic flooring.

'Classic(?)' gadgets: I love old radios, gramophone records, and old ceiling fans & bulb lights.

'Classic(?)' movies: I just love old movies, in any language. Especially of the 60s and 70s, for obvious reasons!

'Classic(?)' outfits: Until recently my trademark outfits, the typical 70s retros, ie. shirts in RED, ORANGE etc. with flared collars and bootcut pants, unfortunately couldnt get myself "platform" heel shoes to go with them! Also the retro-look goggles.

Sarees & jasmine flowers: Now, in case your taken aback, let me assure you I'm very much a MAN! And I'm very much, you know, STRAIGHT. None of those 'CD' qualities here!

I have a keen interest in Sarees- nope, keen interest isnt the word, its much MUCH MORE than that! You could say madness, obsession, craziness, whatever synonyms you may choose! Man I bet even girls/women of today's gen. arent as freaky bout them as Iam! Haha!
I like the Sarees that give a modest look, although at the same time, not too fond of the overly traditional kanchi silk Sarees.
And also fond of jasmine flowers- although they may not be as attractive to look at compared to say roses, (excpet maybe when they are strung together into 'gajras' & worn in (women's) hair) I just love the fragrance they give! We had this jasmine plant in the backyard of our house planted by my late grandma and I was very attached to it. Unfortunately it got killed when someone tried to "transplant" it into a pot while we moved out of there!
I dont believe liking stuff like this isnt 'unmanly' in any way. Of course wearing it would be, for sure! Which is why I'd find it easier to leave it all to the better half (who'd be one who loves wearing these of course! )

Food: Yes, definitely a foodie, although veggie only. And although I like pigging out on pizzas & other stuff occasionally, I'd settle for a typical south-indian tiffin any day!
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2008, 09:46   #6
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Wow Stanher, now thats very very interesting. It says so much about a person when they share info on their passion for things. I think its such a wonderful way to get to know people and sets up the grounds for genuine meaningful conversations.

Unless you've seen them already, Puppy Singh has an amazing collection of scooters too. I was speechless when he showed me the vast collection he's built up

Do you visit the Jumeraat bazzar near Purana Pul? Its amusing what you find there. Many years back I used to get up early on Thursdays and go there, often amidst the junk you'd see an old valve radio or gramaphone. Check it out if you haven't

I can relate to the style of house architecture and finish you speak off. They are very charming. Infact a friend once suggested we document the houses of Banjara Hills, you know the german design ones. There are some very lovely old houses that slowly risk being broken down and apartment complexes built.

I used to go for walks along Chiraan palace's compound wall and remember once being frozen in my tracks as I encountered a cloud of intense jasmine fragrance. There was a tree just inside the compound at that spot. I remember marvelling at how even in nature you have such intensity in fragrances.

Do check out the display of women's attire at Chowmahalla palace, interesting stuff. I quite admire good pieces of women's jewellery. Totally freaked out when the Nizam's jewellery was on display at Salar Jung.

Last edited by DKG : 10th March 2008 at 09:52.
Old 10th March 2008, 09:50   #7
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Nitin I'm not much of a chef but I too have enjoyed doing barbecues for friends. The effort that goes into preparing food is truly one of the finest treats you can give to friends and its so personal, its a wonderful way to enjoy people's company.

Recently I skipped a ride and cooked breakfast for my biking buddies, 16 of em, they loved it and it was a real pleasure.
Old 10th March 2008, 19:33   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Nitin I'm not much of a chef but I too have enjoyed doing barbecues for friends. The effort that goes into preparing food is truly one of the finest treats you can give to friends and its so personal, its a wonderful way to enjoy people's company.

Recently I skipped a ride and cooked breakfast for my biking buddies, 16 of em, they loved it and it was a real pleasure.
Wow..thats a noble gesture,Deepak.

This is something I love doing. Entertaining.. a nice hearty meal and good wine to be offered no matter what.
Summer's round the corner,so its that time of the year when the consumption of beer & burgers goes up quite a bit. Can't wait for it!
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2008, 20:49   #9
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post

Summer's round the corner,so its that time of the year when the consumption of beer & burgers goes up quite a bit. Can't wait for it!
As I've spent many a summer evening on lawns of lovely homes in Salt Lake City Utah where I once lived, friends gathered over beer and burgers as you say, I quite relate to that! Have a ballcheers:
Old 10th March 2008, 21:04   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
monkeys (have a special fondness for the Indian Rhesus)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
old wooden furniture

old ceiling fans & bulb lights.

shirts in RED, ORANGE
bootcut pants,

"platform" heel shoes

retro-look goggles.

Sarees-

madness, obsession, craziness, whatever synonyms you may choose! Man I bet even girls/women of today's gen. arent as freaky bout them as Iam!

And also fond of jasmine flowers-

gajras
You Hyderabadi boys are loco. Tap, tap, tap.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2008, 21:41   #11
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
You Hyderabadi boys are loco. Tap, tap, tap.
I guess generations of leisure and fine living does that to you

I now know you don't dig robots , so lets hear what drives Big Foot!!

Last edited by DKG : 10th March 2008 at 21:44.
Old 10th March 2008, 23:07   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Wow Stanher, now thats very very interesting. It says so much about a person when they share info on their passion for things. I think its such a wonderful way to get to know people and sets up the grounds for genuine meaningful conversations.
I too am glad to be able to interact with people of varied interests.

Quote:
Unless you've seen them already, Puppy Singh has an amazing collection of scooters too. I was speechless when he showed me the vast collection he's built up
I did hear he has a colection of scooters as well...esp. a Lambretta LD, although have never visited his place (yet!)

Did you know a friend of his who has a series 1 "chestlight" lambretta with him?? Its a junked grey one I'd first seen at Vizag a few years ago that I terribly regret not picking up when I had the chance! I was told that it was eventually sold for scrap but later on heard Puppy Singh's friend had picked up the same scooter but hasnt got around to doing anything w/ it yet.

Quote:
Do you visit the Jumeraat bazzar near Purana Pul? Its amusing what you find there. Many years back I used to get up early on Thursdays and go there, often amidst the junk you'd see an old valve radio or gramaphone. Check it out if you haven't
Its not the scrapyard at Bahadurpura by any chance is it?

Quote:
I can relate to the style of house architecture and finish you speak off. They are very charming. Infact a friend once suggested we document the houses of Banjara Hills, you know the german design ones. There are some very lovely old houses that slowly risk being broken down and apartment complexes built.
Incidentally, if I'm not wrong wasnt it your mother who was with an organisation that catered to preservation of old buildings/houses? I recall her telling about it at one of the dechaa rallies.

Quote:
I used to go for walks along Chiraan palace's compound wall and remember once being frozen in my tracks as I encountered a cloud of intense jasmine fragrance. There was a tree just inside the compound at that spot. I remember marvelling at how even in nature you have such intensity in fragrances.
Glad you share the same interest in jasmine flowers.
Although I'd marvel more at the sight of it being woven into gajras...

Quote:
Do check out the display of women's attire at Chowmahalla palace, interesting stuff. I quite admire good pieces of women's jewellery. Totally freaked out when the Nizam's jewellery was on display at Salar Jung.
Do you admire only Gold jewellery btw? Am not much of a jewellery freak though. As for Sarees, I tend to admire even ordinary cheap (priced) synthetic ones displayed at a roadside shop......but have refrained from buying any of those for fear of cheap quality as well! 'prefer to shop at the bigger & better known malls viz. CMR etc.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2008, 09:49   #13
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post

Did you know a friend of his who has a series 1 "chestlight" lambretta with him??
No am not aware of this friend of Puppy Singh. I am just amazed at the number of bikes and scooters that have been retained in Hyderabad. Its such a fabulous sight to see all these machines everytime I visit the rallies

Quote:
Its not the scrapyard at Bahadurpura by any chance is it?
Not the Bahadurpura salvage yards. If you come up to Puranapul via Mangalhat at a junction with a Gandhi statue you take a left and just a few yards down the road on the right side, just off the road is a yard where early Thursday mornings a lot of knick-knacks are hawked. Its best to be there around 6:30 am as usually things get over pretty quickly. Not sure if they are still conducting but it was an old market for years

Quote:
Incidentally, if I'm not wrong wasnt it your mother who was with an organisation that catered to preservation of old buildings/houses? I recall her telling about it at one of the dechaa rallies

Yes she is associated with INTACH (Indian National Trust for Art and Cultural Heritage)

Quote:
Do you admire only Gold jewellery btw?
More than just gold jewellery its the stone jewellery that fascinates me. The Nizam's jewellery that was on display at the Salar Jung museum was simply unbelievable. It also ranks as one of the world's most significant collections of jewellery. CBN was trying to convince the Centre to have it on display at Hyderabad permanently, hope some CM eventually manages that.
Old 11th March 2008, 10:19   #14
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Shyam

Do the Fiat and Herald owners meet regularly for drives etc? So far I've not been able to get the vintage car owners to meet up so. The superbike group rides I started two years ago have become a wonderful experience and now the activity has a life of its own.

Even if a few drop out on a Sunday there's always a few who meet and ride. More than anything its the friendships that have developed over the two years that has made this exercise so precious.

I wish the vintage/classic car owners take a cue from what we've done in the biking scene and meet Saturday evenings.
Old 11th March 2008, 10:43   #15
Team-BHP Support

Hmm Interesting thread.
Well lets see whats mine
Driving and Travel : Love to see new places. Given a chance and resources I would love to explore the entire Himalayan range from West to east in a car
Photography : This is an obsession I must say. 7000+ pics on tanveer.smugmug.com are a testimony to this.
Cooking : I feel its a stressbuster, and own cooked food always tastes good, no matter how bad . But thankfully I am a pretty good cook now(thats what people tell me), and Chicken and Cake being my specialty. I can make vegetables too, but chicken is what I enjoy. If I leave the the standard career path, I would look for a job as a chef or open my own restaurant.
Gadgets : I am a gadget freak, but unfortunately I get bored soon. This includes games, mp3 players, digital clocks etc., etc.,
Astronomy : Living in a city where seeing stars is rarer than spotting Elephants on roads, this hobby of mine has suffered. When I was a Kid we were in Patiala, and the city had not been ravages by pollution so on clear nights the Milky way was still visible.
Weather : Love watching climate related programs and looking at satellite pics of cloud formations
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote