Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 18th March 2008, 14:48   #1
BHPian

Default Antique (objects) Advice thread

No no am not referring to antiquated advice but to advice on antiques.

Ok, the reason for my starting this thread is that I am sure many of us do look for a new hobby and am sure invariably end up with a view to start collecting stuff.

I recently was bitten by the bug to collect old clocks / watches and to give this a start was fortunate to find some antique timepieces / watches.

Two of these were immediately picked up for they were in working condition and all they needed was some work, which was of a DIY nature.

Given below is the original catalogue for this timepiece

This model was the first to be manufactured by JAZ France since 1919 till the mid 1920's. I am unable to put an exact date to it though. Could any of our friends here help me out with the same?

In the next post I will be putting up a pic of a Smith car Clock which was made for the Austin, say a 20's model according to our friend google. Am sure our friends here might be able to throw some light on it
Attached Thumbnails
Antique (objects) Advice thread-p1020603.jpg  

Antique (objects) Advice thread-p1020602.jpg  

Attached Images

suren181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2008, 15:00   #2
BHPian

Mods I am unable to find the way to put the text in between the pix could you please help?

Given below are the pics of the Smith MA car clock, which happens to be a 7 day clock AFAIK, but sadly the internal body to mount the clock onto the car's dash has been done away with and it has been mounted on a rectangular steel face plate. How sad.

Could anyone identify the car for which this clock was manufactured for please?

I will be, as and when I get them in hand, posting pics of a Junghans clock, a Favre Leuba clock, a Kienzle Clock, a Roamer Ladies wrist watch etc which are all hand wound and being worked upon as we speak.

Clock lovers please do keep a close eye on this thread and do advice on what you see.
Attached Thumbnails
Antique (objects) Advice thread-p1020605.jpg  

Antique (objects) Advice thread-p1020606.jpg  

Old 18th March 2008, 15:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

WOW!! Nice thread Suren. There are a lot of Smith Clocks for sale in Chor Bazaar and Id have to say that I dont really think that all of them are real.

I really want to start collecting vintage signs. I already have a Thums Up sign and a Pennzoil sign and want to collect some more especially Indian ones.
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2008, 15:17   #4
BHPian

Hey there Khanak, thats a cool thing to collect too "signs" hmmmm... You just set me pondering and well on a new direction too.

Regarding the Smiths clocks, yes I have seen many many clocks here at Hyderabad too, but am wary of buying ones which are not original, as in I would buy a clock with a duplicate dial only if I think I might have some spares to use out of it for another genuine one I lay my hands on. Sort of a spares car .

Do keep on the lookout you might get some good genuine stuff too.
Old 18th March 2008, 16:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

Theres a nice shop right next to Cafe Royal in Colaba called Philips. They had some really nice pictures of Mumbai from long ago. I really want to pick they up but theyre really pricey at 1500 per picture. Does anyone know of a shop or photostudio that might have taken some pictures long ago that I could print and frame.

Another place to get these signs would be the shop located in the Regal Cinema building but then again theyre a lot more expensive than Chor Bazaar. That place has a lot of other stuff as well.

Other interesting stuff I saw at Chor Bazaar - Old Bathroom tubs, furniture, chairs, typewriters and even glasses.

Awini has an excellent collection of signs that are displayed throughout his garage. The signs look really nice.

Last edited by khanak : 18th March 2008 at 16:23.
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote