Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 19th March 2008, 13:13   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
@Jk,
How can they prove the Safari belongs to you, do they have a single photo that shows the chasis number, engine number and the sticker in place of the number plate ?

I dont think such mobile phone pics and videos are admissible in a court of law in India for most laws and sections of the IPC. Even on accident cases - where photographs are required- you can't just take a couple of snaps and present them in court. There is a proper channel via the insurance company-provided photographer.

As advised, opt for art-of-living alerts in your mobile phone...

Congratulations for your new ride...BTW from where you are getting the high-sec number plates?
@kb, I was not worried about them stopping me as I wasnt speeding or sort and I knew they they would let me off without any issues as last day another official said its ok.

Sandeep; they just took one pic each of the front and rear. Thats all. I doubt if they even got a nice picture.

I get it couried to my address when I place order through phone with Emperor, Cochin.

@ whatcanthisbe: these plates command respect and police dont stop you much as its a standard plate.

Last edited by jkdas : 19th March 2008 at 13:15.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2008, 22:47   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

The rear shot using my mobile cam.
Attached Images

Old 19th March 2008, 23:40   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

@JK, this happens here always! when i bought my pulsar, while returning after college on the very next day, the cops stopped me as i was running on temp plates. They took one look at my odo which was showing 60km, and they said i have to pay a fine as we are allowed to ride only 50km with temp plates!!!

I finally convinced them that the odo was at 15km+ when i took delivery and only te rest was done by me! Luckiy i think they felt sorry for me and let me go!!!

P.S: how did u manage to click a pic when they were ticketing u??

EDIT: @ jk,Emperor is getting it from pune?? All the others are gettin it from bangalore and reaches here within 4/5 days.

Last edited by JayD : 19th March 2008 at 23:42.
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2008, 23:40   #19
Senior - BHPian

Like Sankar said, it is illegal to drive a car without pucca number plates.
So, the DMV just took advantage of the law on you.
Btw, nice fancy number.

The last time I got a new car, I had to get the number specially from the secretariat and it took about 2-3 weeks. The trick we followed to dodge these pests is to hang a fresh flower garland every 3-4 days to show that it was a "Pudhu vandi"
Quote:
The cop when asked why he was stopped, answered, "Ever gone fishing, sonny".
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2008, 01:32   #20
Senior - BHPian

As long as you have the REGISTERED sticker on your car there should be no problem with that.
i think you were taken for a royal ride.. Congrats on the new Dicor. and welcome to the club

Goddy
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2008, 01:52   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Will surely paste a bolder sketched one soon as I will be travelling this weekend.
Plastic plates dont cost much and you get them in a couple of hours or so. Get yourself a passable set of legal plates till your 'high security' plates arrive from wherever - the fact that you've ordered them is no excuse to drive around with sketched numbers.

I'm not saying that what they did to you was right, but technically you were not in the right.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2008, 16:28   #22
Senior - BHPian

Leave the issue buddie,it always happens.But according to law you are at fault.Since they dint make you sigh on any papers it would be fine and go collect your RC as soon as possible.If the plates are to take long then get a temp plate made at some local shop.
ram
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2008, 16:36   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
Leave the issue buddie,it always happens.But according to law you are at fault.Since they dint make you sigh on any papers it would be fine and go collect your RC as soon as possible.If the plates are to take long then get a temp plate made at some local shop.
ram
Ordered by Monday eve, got the number plated by noon today. 3 days! Thats fast.
Old 20th March 2008, 17:03   #24
BHPian

@Jk can u pls post a pic of the " High Security Number Plates " . I just want to see how they look like...i mean does they resemble the ones that are found on cars in the US ?
jango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2008, 17:05   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ordered by Monday eve, got the number plated by noon today. 3 days! Thats fast.
Off topic JK: Where in Pune did you order those plates from and how much did you spend for them?
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2008, 17:20   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango View Post
@Jk can u pls post a pic of the " High Security Number Plates " . I just want to see how they look like...i mean does they resemble the ones that are found on cars in the US ?
my dealer said its from Pune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Off topic JK: Where in Pune did you order those plates from and how much did you spend for them?
Check my garage. Alto has those.
Old 20th March 2008, 17:30   #27
BHPian

Got this from wikipedia
Attached Images

Mission_Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2008, 20:11   #28
Senior - BHPian

I saw a "high security" numberplate on a skoda yesterday. KL 7 BH. All it had was a hologram and the numbers. No "ind". No logo of the lions. Is this the correct design?

Also, are not the "high security" number plates to be affixed by the RTO?
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 10:18   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Went to collect my RC book last weekend. They didnt have my RC on the dispatch list and on further probe, I was told that I am to meet the AMV coz they didnt approve it or so as they caught me for some violation.

I am going to meet them this Saturday.
Old 2nd May 2008, 11:18   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The victim is me. Just wanted to share the incident and want to know how one would react if he/she faced the same issue.

I was stopped by Motor Vehicles Department last day for not having proper number plates. This happened by around 8.15am. I said I got my car last Saturday evening and hence I couldn’t get a number plate as I have ordered the High Security Number Plates from Pune. The office was fine with this issue and let me off.

Today I was waved down again at the same spot by Motor Vehicle Department but by two different officers. I explained to them the same story and said if one office was ok with the reason why cant they?

They wanted me to pay fine and this made me furious. I said ok I will pay the fine but said I was upset on how they reached to a law abiding citizen who just wanted a week’s time to get the proper number plates. In the end, they said they will see to the matter when I go to collect my RC book later next month and gave me a big form in which was included the complaint.

They also took photographs of my car. One guy used his mobile cam to take photo of my car’s front and the other did the same for the rear. I didn’t waste time and I too took their and their Bolero’s picture.

I said I am ok with what happened and thanked and wished them a good day.

I was thinking if I had been driving at higher speeds they wouldn’t have stopped me and I need those sun films asap!

I want to know what you would have done if the same had happened to you. I felt bad that a case was registered just coz of this while others were driving/riding breaking law.

: The number is written using permanent ink pen on both rear and front. Please see pix on my garage.
Hi..sorry for the unfortunate incident..But you are not supposed to drive any car without a proper number plate! BTW, looks like the guys took you for a ride..Did you get a receipt for the fine you paid the first time..then you could have shown that to the second set of guys..Anyway the mistake is on the dealers part to have given you the vehicle without the number plates..so you could actually sew them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Like Sankar said, it is illegal to drive a car without pucca number plates.
So, the DMV just took advantage of the law on you.
Btw, nice fancy number.

The last time I got a new car, I had to get the number specially from the secretariat and it took about 2-3 weeks. The trick we followed to dodge these pests is to hang a fresh flower garland every 3-4 days to show that it was a "Pudhu vandi"

Nitrous..all your cars are 2xx2..right..Nice idea to have a garland..BTW has the plastic covers been removed from your "Pudhu Vandi" ? And why this craze for a special number?

Quote:
Went to collect my RC book last weekend. They didnt have my RC on the dispatch list and on further probe, I was told that I am to meet the AMV coz they didnt approve it or so as they caught me for some violation.

I am going to meet them this Saturday.
AMV..?? can you explain?
headers is offline   Reply With Quote