Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 29th March 2008, 01:04   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
I also got this in my mail. Here in Faridabad we use to get only 16-18 hrs of electricity in domestic area and about 10-12 hrs in Industrial sector. I think we are already saving to much.
He he he , well said lbm, reading the other posts in this thread, i believe we in India just cannot make any difference to this earth hour thingy. Might as well watch the saturday night flicks albeit without the lights.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2008, 06:04   #17
BANNED

I hate these symbolic gestures. Does it mean you conserve for 1 hr and waste for rest of the time.
Quote:
Tomorrow (29th March) between 8 pm and 9 pm, please switch off your electrical appliances as a part of global efforts to reduce emissions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
My response to a similar post elsewhere:

8 PM to 9 PM is off-peak hours (load factor is less) for most power generation stations but the power is generated anyway whether you use it or not. So switching off electric appliances from 8 PM to 9 PM is going to do didly squat to environment (as damage is already done in production) except saving you some money.

I think Coal power stations are the only ones which adjust change their output with load but then your one hour crusade on one day a year is not going to force them to change their supply targets. If you want to make a difference, switch off electrical appliances for one hr every day - This long term demand change will force them to change supply.

If the idea is to create awareness, many here are already aware of the damage we are causing to environment with our consumption patterns so sitting in dark for an hour is not going to make us more aware. Those who are not aware of it wont be reading this thread anyway
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2008, 18:04   #18
BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ur-mumbai.html (save electricity for an hour - mumbai)

this is the thread i had started when such a campaign was done by a group of youngsters in mumbai.

as you can see not much response was generated even then, but i supported the campaign and switched off all the appliances, lights fans and even the inverter at my home.

i personally might not have supported it if it was something taken up by the government but i feel that we have to give back something to the envorinment because, if we do not take care of conservation of natural resources, our future generations would surely not have the privelege to use them as generously as we do.

just my two cents.

Mansi

Last edited by manaa45 : 29th March 2008 at 18:06.
manaa45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 09:29   #19
BHPian

I did observe the 1 hour "save electricity" by switching off my mains.

I think we can help to save environment by doing the following (people can add to the list)
- Buy only 5* rated products for energy efficiency. for example a Samsung refrigerator that is 5* rated consumes almost 50 units per year less than the 4* rated similar offering from Samsung itself
- Switch off the monitors (esp if its CRT) when we leave our desk
- Minimize the heating / cooling of Geysers, Air Conditioners by adjusting the thermostat
- Switch off refrigerator once in a while (say once a week and when going out of town)
- Combine all shopping activities together
- Shop in the morning (10am) rather than evening and see your car give 2 km more per liter mileage
suvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008, 15:13   #20
Team-BHP Support

Thread closed since the day of reckoning has passed.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 17:01   #21
Senior - BHPian

Default Switch off your lights to save Earth

On March 28 late evening, people across the world will switch off their lights to raise a collective voice against global warming. This is part of Earth Hour -- a global campaign to raise awareness about global warming and show support for action on climate change.

Organised by WWF, this is a worldwide campaign in which nearly 1,500 cities, including Delhi [Images] and Mumbai [Images], will switch off their lights on March 28 from 8.30 pm to 9.30 pm local time. The campaign is a symbolic event to send a strong message to our political leaders that we want them to take meaningful action on climate change.

This is the first time Indian cities will participate in the campaign. New Delhi and Mumbai have pledged their support to Earth Hour, and satellite Earth Hours have been planned in a host of cities. Actor Aamir Khan [Images] is face of the India campaign, and will switch off his lights at the designated hour. Several leading corporate houses such as HP India, HSBC, Wipro [Get Quote], Taj Hotels and ITC-Welcome Group have also lent their support to the campaign.

WWF India Secretary General and CEO Ravi Singh said, "Earth Hour is a unique initiative with which we hope to raise awareness and encourage people to make energy reduction a priority."

Earth Hour began in Sydney in 2007, when 2.2 million homes and businesses switched off their lights for one hour. In 2008 the message had grown into a global sustainability movement, with 50 million people switching off their lights. This year's target is to get 1 billion people to switch off their lights. Each participating household or business counts as one vote for the planet. The "votes" will be presented to world leaders at the Global Climate Change Conference in Copenhagen 2009, urging them to take action against global warming.

And remember to switch off your lights on March 28 from 8.30 pm to 9.30 pm.

Last edited by gowda79 : 19th March 2009 at 17:02. Reason: Source - www.rediff.com - http://news.rediff.com/report/2009/mar/19/switch-off-your-lights-to-save-earth.htm
gowda79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 17:07   #22
BHPian

@gowda: Gentlemen at Bangalore, you guys are seriously lucky I must say. Here, at Hyderabad, I am able to switch on the lights/fans or whatever only maybe for a few hours in a whole day.

Case in point, power is shut down at my residence from 7AM to 8AM and for many unnotified hours in between.

At my work place there is a power shut down from 8AM to 2PM every day.

Point to note that this is not done by me, but by the electricity dept. So, as a mark of protest I don't think I am in a frame of mind to join this drive, but I wish you all the best. For all you know, at the designated time I might still be sitting in darkness.

Last edited by suren181 : 19th March 2009 at 17:19.
suren181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 17:16   #23
Team-BHP Support

Note from mod: Threads merged
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 21:36   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Earth Hour 2011

its that time of the year when you get to do your bit to save this planet we call our home.

this March 26th 8:30pm join me and switch off the lights for an hour.

Name:  54436_463110424435_6867084435_5868986_3171053_o.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  39.4 KB

Name:  5254_93936549435_6867084435_2165259_1530572_n.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  32.0 KB

more information can be found here:
Earth Hour
Earth Hour India

*pictures courtesy Earth Hour
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 22:42   #25
BHPian

Default Re: Earth Hour 2011

+1 to that, been doing that from the start of this concept.
richie4u is offline   Reply With Quote