Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 7th April 2008, 11:29   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
Well said! I used to travel frequently to Pune before the expressway was built and it was a nightmare each time and we couldnt be sure how much time would it take. Sometime I would leave home at 4 am to attend a 11 am meeting there and I still would be late.

Now its just 2 hours and believe me sometimes I have made it in exactly 1hr 10 minutes till Wakad crossing.
Yes, I agree with Shatrughna. Spending some more money on the expressway won't make much of a difference, considering the fact that it saves us a LOT of time.

But I feel that the hike from Rs. 118 to Rs. 140 is not logical.
Chevy_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2008, 11:59   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
But I feel that the hike from Rs. 118 to Rs. 140 is not logical.
Logic is explained below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 Bond View Post
well, express way was bulit on BOT basis & an agrrement was made wherein an 18% hike was to be done every three years. last hike was done w.e.f 1/4/05. the same hike of 18% is effected for old pune - mumbai highway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swale84 View Post
As Mr. Bond has mentioned, the increase is a regulated one, similar to when the toll increasd from 100 to 118 a few years ago.

swale84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2008, 12:18   #18
BHPian

Agree with Swale. The truckers are a disciplined lot on the e-way. They would give way in most cases to the speeding cars and SUVs. Atleast the multi-axle trailers stick to the left lane, I have seen. Its the light trucks that mess up the traffic. They are not as quick and take an era to overtake from the right line, by which time, the sedan or SUV behind is cursing his luck
wanderlustindia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2008, 13:26   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post
Agree with Swale. The truckers are a disciplined lot on the e-way. They would give way in most cases to the speeding cars and SUVs. Atleast the multi-axle trailers stick to the left lane, I have seen. Its the light trucks that mess up the traffic. They are not as quick and take an era to overtake from the right line, by which time, the sedan or SUV behind is cursing his luck

Just thought of my pet peeve about truckers on the e way. Unfortunately, most of their vehicles do not have any sort of lighting at the back! Makes it a potential recipe for disaster!
swale84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2008, 13:31   #20
BHPian

I went to lonavala yesterday evening to catch sunset at Tiger point .. Was not happy with the increased Toll . No doubt that expressway is god sent but still pinch to pay anything more always pains . ..

Have got a few photographs wil post it in separate thread .

Regards ... Kat
kARTIK IYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2008, 14:54   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swale84 View Post
Just thought of my pet peeve about truckers on the e way. Unfortunately, most of their vehicles do not have any sort of lighting at the back! Makes it a potential recipe for disaster!
Especially in the night.
wanderlustindia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 00:02   #22
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Default re: Pune - Mumbai expressway toll raised to Rs.165

Toll charges raised to Rs. 165/- per side. (from Rs. 140/-)
Akki_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 00:22   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akki_5 View Post
Toll charges raised to Rs. 165/- per side. (from Rs. 140/-)
Yes. I had gone to Lonavala a week back taking my dad's car outside western suburbs for the first time. The toll indeed has increased. I wonder how long till the expressway becomes toll-free. Arent the road projects made on contracts and the toll is collected till the cost is recovered ? Though I dont mind paying Rs 165 for the 49kms of stretch to reach Lonavala.
Saanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 00:25   #24
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Dude, you don't have to pay the full fare for Lonavla, right? It used to be like 65% of total fare for Lonavla earlier. Have they got rid of the smaller fare for half trip option?
Akki_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 13:39   #25
Max
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Yes. I had gone to Lonavala a week back taking my dad's car outside western suburbs for the first time. The toll indeed has increased. I wonder how long till the expressway becomes toll-free. Arent the road projects made on contracts and the toll is collected till the cost is recovered ? Though I dont mind paying Rs 165 for the 49kms of stretch to reach Lonavala.

Saanil, please wake up. Stop dreaming. That is never going to happen. Maharashtra estate is already running shorts on funds hence delay in tons of road projects, metro rail projects, fly over projects etc., hence 50% increase in excise duty on alcohol. They need all our money to keep things rolling hence toll is never going away. Also, I heard some time back about our PM saying all state roads need to be toll road in order to keep them in good condition and reduce burden on local municipalities.

Last edited by Max : 5th May 2011 at 13:41.
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2011, 12:34   #26
BHPian

As per contract with IRB infra, they have rights for 30 years to collect tolls, with (I suppose) 14-15% increase in toll rates from previous Increased cost after every 3 years or so.

Maybe till 2025-30 they have rights for collection.

And saanil, you dont need to pay for Full toll till pune i.e 165/- , I think its Rs.87/- or close to this amount till Lonavala.

Last edited by vahss_11 : 8th May 2011 at 12:35.
vahss_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2011, 15:37   #27
BHPian

Guys the toll to lonavala is Rs.99 now! Please make sure you guys ask the booth operator for a Lonavala ticket, otherwise they end up giving you a full fare ticket.
Also lately i've seen these guys not giving back the Rs.1 change.. not that its too much to let go, but with so many cars passing by imagine the quick buck they could be making!!
SunChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2011, 16:10   #28
SAS
BHPian

It's been increased to Rs 165 since a couple months now. the toll is ridiculously high and it's now almost Rs. 2 per km of highway till Pune!! Needless to say, these operators are hand in glove with corrupt politicians who want to make a quick buck

i've been travelling extensively on the highway and it's upkeep just keeps on deteriorating. you see trucks broken down along the ghat section, etc. what a pity.
SAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011, 19:41   #29
BHPian

Default Re: Pune - Mumbai expressway toll raised to Rs.165

It took my 6 hrs to cross the expressway last week [from Mumbai to Pune]. The part between Khopoli [just after the mid-way mark] and Khandala/Lonavala - where the ghat starts - was dead clogged for miles.

Whoever says the expressway is in mint-condition doesn't travel on this hellway more than once a year. The entire expressway is in a state of massive disrepair. The road markings are gone, road signs are in tattered shape and the toll lines take atleast 5-10 mins to cross & pay. And a $5 for a 40 mile 3 lane highway - which btw is made of pure laid out concrete - without any surfacing and which shreds your tires like a cheese-grater (as opposed to, say, asphalt which is much gentler) is a little too much to ask for.

Are you kidding me ?

Last edited by agentsmith2 : 9th May 2011 at 19:42.
agentsmith2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011, 19:44   #30
BHPian

Default Re: Pune - Mumbai expressway toll raised to Rs.165

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS View Post
It's been increased to Rs 165 since a couple months now. the toll is ridiculously high and it's now almost Rs. 2 per km of highway till Pune!! Needless to say, these operators are hand in glove with corrupt politicians who want to make a quick buck
IRB Infrastructure's chairman and managing director Virendra D Mhaiskar is Sharad Pawar's stooge. IRB is owned by Pawar.
agentsmith2 is offline   Reply With Quote