Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2010, 18:30   #2071
BHPian
 
tacho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Herndon, VA
Posts: 125
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
I pity people for their innocence, when they think IPL has anything to do except cricket. The game is just the poster boy presented to us innocent, 9 to 5 beings. There are a lot of behind the scene activities where there is a lot of money involved. Unfortunately for us commoners, this world has become a place of large scale deception, where everyone is being deceived some or the other way. Cricket is a religion in our country and it is being used to mint mint mint since a long long time.
I pity those who are so miserable in their lives that they need to believe the cricketers have the same standard of morals as themselves and will throw matches at the first scent of money. I can start preaching too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
If you can answer all the questions that I put up in my previous post, you will have an idea.
You said 1700 crores is too high. What is not too high?

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
It would be foolish not to get into betting with something as big as IPL. Its easy money.
It's just as easy to lose money, surely? Oh wait, not if you fix the match in your favor. My bad.
tacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 19:10   #2072
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,542
Thanked: 1,305 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacho View Post
It's just as easy to lose money, surely? Oh wait, not if you fix the match in your favor. My bad.
Not sure what you are trying to say here but you may win more money by loosing than by winning.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 19:43   #2073
BHPian
 
tacho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Herndon, VA
Posts: 125
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Not sure what you are trying to say here but you may win more money by loosing than by winning.
I meant losing and winning money, not matches. (fixing in your favor = fixing the match so that you gain money)

Anyway, for someone to make a lot of money in betting, someone else must be losing it. They would then consider themselves foolish for getting into betting
tacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 20:12   #2074
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,542
Thanked: 1,305 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacho View Post
I meant losing and winning money, not matches. (fixing in your favor = fixing the match so that you gain money)

Anyway, for someone to make a lot of money in betting, someone else must be losing it. They would then consider themselves foolish for getting into betting
My bad I still dont get? Are you assuming that winning a match equals more money?

Offcourse but that 'someone' isnt the franchises or the bookies becuase they are the one's who are actually manipulating the results and turning the tide in their favor.

Remember the recent match between MI and KKR. Most of the people would have assumed an easy win for MI given their present form and betting odds would have been set accordingly. The end result was KKR won but MI would have made more via bookies by loosing and so did KKR.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 20th April 2010 at 20:15.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 20:21   #2075
BHPian
 
tacho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Herndon, VA
Posts: 125
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Remember the recent match between MI and KKR. Most of the people would have assumed an easy win for MI given their present form and betting odds would have been set accordingly. The end result was KKR won but MI would have made more via bookies by loosing and so did KKR.
Ya, I understand. I just meant that whoever (individuals?) bet against KKR lost their money thanks to the illicit relationship between the bookies and the teams - and would be wary of continuing to bet on the IPL.

So, according to this business model, the bookies first set the betting odds and take the bets in. They then proceed to fix the match maximizing the profits for the teams and themselves. This means the end users (people like the guy you know who won 90 Lakhs) collectively lose a lot of money in the long run since they are indirectly paying the bookies, the teams etc.. These guys are either incredibly stupid or incredibly rich.

I am not arguing against you now, just thinking out loud

Last edited by tacho : 20th April 2010 at 20:31.
tacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 20:57   #2076
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,542
Thanked: 1,305 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacho View Post
Ya, I understand. I just meant that whoever (individuals?) bet against KKR lost their money thanks to the illicit relationship between the bookies and the teams - and would be wary of continuing to bet on the IPL.

So, according to this business model, the bookies first set the betting odds and take the bets in. They then proceed to fix the match maximizing the profits for the teams and themselves. This means the end users (people like the guy you know who won 90 Lakhs) collectively lose a lot of money in the long run since they are indirectly paying the bookies, the teams etc.. These guys are either incredibly stupid or incredibly rich.

I am not arguing against you now, just thinking out loud
Well its a gamble and likewise if they loose money they dont stop gambling, and in this case betting. The same guy's cousin lost 80k's on the KKR and MI match. The point is that its only money changing hands but the only if there is something definite its only for the big fishes in the pond.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 22:38   #2077
Senior - BHPian
 
prince_pervez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Redwood shores, CA, USA
Posts: 4,205
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacho View Post
I pity those who are so miserable in their lives that they need to believe the cricketers have the same standard of morals as themselves and will throw matches at the first scent of money. I can start preaching too.
Gosh! Last time I checked there is no IQ level constraint to enter here. The conviction on proving that the IPL is free from all vices is naive enough.

And yes "Breaking News" Viru is out of a shoulder injury for the T20 WC and he played all the DD league matches. The same guy was unavailable for some other match representing India, but was caught on camera diving in some river in Kerela for a PEPSI ad. Hozzzzzat !! ??

Forget morals and standards they know now what is profitable and what is not.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 22:49   #2078
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Benga'loo'ru
Posts: 290
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacho View Post
I pity those who are so miserable in their lives that they need to believe the cricketers have the same standard of morals as themselves and will throw matches at the first scent of money. I can start preaching too.
Ha ha.. Seriously, argument just for the sake of it.

Are you talking about morals for these kindergarten players in IPL? Please look around and you will find the greatest names of cricket history involved in fixing, who were supposed to have the highest standards of morals or whatever....

Without fixing and betting, IPL would not be what it is. I am sure you would not be surprised when Rajasthan Royals won the 1st season because you thought they "deserved" it leaving all Gibbs and Tendulkars looking like goons.

Last edited by Ranjan Sharma : 20th April 2010 at 22:55.
Ranjan Sharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2010, 02:41   #2079
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 1,040
Thanked: 127 Times
Default

I seriously dont get it, you guys are argueing that matches are fixed just because you are assume it is? or because it sounds too good to be true..or because a weaker team won ? comon guys it is a sport, any team can can win on any given day, of course some teams have better chances, but still there are upsets and surprises. There were few players who were involved in fixing, that doesnt make every player a match fixer. I can understand if you guys have any concrete evidences about match fixing in the IPL, but arguing just on the basis of assumptions and hearsay is plain stupid, my 2 cents.
heavy_foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2010, 02:48   #2080
BHPian
 
tacho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Herndon, VA
Posts: 125
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Gosh! Last time I checked there is no IQ level constraint to enter here. The conviction on proving that the IPL is free from all vices is naive enough.

And yes "Breaking News" Viru is out of a shoulder injury for the T20 WC and he played all the DD league matches. The same guy was unavailable for some other match representing India, but was caught on camera diving in some river in Kerela for a PEPSI ad. Hozzzzzat !! ??

Forget morals and standards they know now what is profitable and what is not.
To be honest, I don't know if you believe the IPL is fixed or not. Do you? I said what I said because of your 'pity' and 'ignorance is bliss' comments without providing any tangible evidence in favor of your point of view.

I don't believe the IPL is squeaky clean but I have seen nothing to suggest the matches themselves are fixed in advance.

I don't understand what the IQ comment is supposed to mean here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
Ha ha.. Seriously, argument just for the sake of it.

Are you talking about morals for these kindergarten players in IPL? Please look around and you will find the greatest names of cricket history involved in fixing, who were supposed to have the highest standards of morals or whatever....
Mohammed Azharuddin, Ajay Jadeja, Manoj Prabhakar, Hansie Cronje and Salim Malik come to mind. None of whom is in the IPL. I prefer to believe the others are innocent until proven guilty.

Quote:
Without fixing and betting, IPL would not be what it is. I am sure you would not be surprised when Rajasthan Royals won the 1st season because you thought they "deserved" it leaving all Gibbs and Tendulkars looking like goons.
And I am sure you think IPL 1 was fixed. So? The onus is on you to prove it.
tacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2010, 04:09   #2081
Senior - BHPian
 
download2live's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,103
Thanked: 387 Times
Thumbs down

Not here to bash IPL. Afterall they are dishing out what people want. But yes, India has one cricket fan less now. I miss those days when one day match series were held few and far in between. There was a time when we used to wake up at 3 in morning to watch the match. And also I can never forget the way Ambrose Walsh and the company used to move the ball around. Now a days bowlers are forced to ball straight and ball not hit for a six is a good ball. Add to that flat pitches. Its all money with dollops of cheerleaders now. What a shame to see Shilpa and Priety as boss of cricketers. Modi minted his share of money. But Mr Modi......Was it worth it?
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2010, 05:32   #2082
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Benga'loo'ru
Posts: 290
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_foot View Post
I can understand if you guys have any concrete evidences about match fixing in the IPL, but arguing just on the basis of assumptions and hearsay is plain stupid, my 2 cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacho View Post
And I am sure you think IPL 1 was fixed. So? The onus is on you to prove it.
Guys, if it was proved, it wouldn't exist. The fact that it is still going on is because it is made in a manner it won't be proved.

And why are we asking for proof? Tacho gave out the names - Azhar, Cronje, etc etc. Does that not prove match fixing exists? Let the common sense prevail and understand that if INTERNATIONAL matches were proved fixed....................................... IPL=Indian Paisa League is a mere league.

Last edited by Ranjan Sharma : 21st April 2010 at 05:33.
Ranjan Sharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2010, 10:02   #2083
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,425
Thanked: 870 Times
Default

@tacho
It can't be conclusively proved! But tell me, is there betting involved or not? If you accept betting is there, and involves thousands of crores, then fixing can't be far behind. But of course not all matches will be, or can be fixed, only some when the odds are really huge!

And since there is no national pride involved, more players may be amenable too.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2010, 10:10   #2084
Senior - BHPian
 
prince_pervez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Redwood shores, CA, USA
Posts: 4,205
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacho View Post
I said what I said because of your 'pity' and 'ignorance is bliss' comments without providing any tangible evidence in favor of your point of view.
That was not for you in the first place. I don't know why you took it.

Quote:
I don't believe the IPL is squeaky clean but I have seen nothing to suggest the matches themselves are fixed in advance.
Not all matches need to be fixed, only the decisive ones.

Quote:
I don't understand what the IQ comment is supposed to mean here.
Thats what I am talking about. .
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2010, 10:27   #2085
BHPian
 
tacho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Herndon, VA
Posts: 125
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post


Thats what I am talking about. .
Still didn't get it...
tacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Report & Pics: VW Vento IPL Edition EDIT : Now IPL Edition II Launched for 2012 IPL Stratos The Indian Car Scene 76 15th March 2012 08:44
Move over IPL, the Indian Motorsports League is here! Street circuits too RM Motorsports Indian Motorsport 17 6th March 2012 07:32


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:10.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks