Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2013, 16:27   #2596
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kochi
Posts: 227
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

I was just wondering, if they delay the telecast of the match by 30 to 45 min, and if the FM channels announce the scores, there won't be any betting. So by the time we watch on TV, a bowler would have finished his quota of overs and no point in him lifting his shirt and then giving 14 runs!
Rameshdude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2013, 16:41   #2597
BHPian
 
mav2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 562
Thanked: 117 Times
Default re: The IPL Thread

This is the main issue in our country today. We have these morals which are not even skin deep, but we continue to flaunt them saying that this is our culture. Prostitution and betting along with Alcohol in certain dry states are banned because we would love to hold our morals up high for the whole world to see. Behind the scenes, all three are used to make more money for the political class.

Legalise all three and put into place a proper body to monitor them and things will get a lot better.

People gamble. It happens across the globe and in India as well. Singapore woke up to it and aloowed casinos. They realised that even if banned it will continue or people will go to other countries close by to gamble. So why dont we just earn the revenue ourselves. In India, the government is so myopic that they allow a couple of guys to run gambling ships in the middle of a river....which is like 2 mins from the shore, which is so stupid, you may as well have them on land. Well Heeled Indians continue to go to SL, Nepal, Singapore, Malaysia and Macau to gamble when they want to. So why not allow a couple of big casino operators to setup shop in India and tax them? We allow cigarettes, which is a known killer and tax the consumers heavily. The same can be the case with casinos.

Cricket betting is murky because betting is illegal. Guess who makes the money from this. Dawood and his croonies sure do, but our great politicians are hand in glove as well and they prefer it this way so they can continue to earn money. Make it legal and the lot of them will still earn money, but far less than they do now.
mav2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2013, 16:43   #2598
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Home
Posts: 179
Thanked: 104 Times
Default re: The IPL Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameshdude View Post
I was just wondering, if they delay the telecast of the match by 30 to 45 min, and if the FM channels announce the scores, there won't be any betting. So by the time we watch on TV, a bowler would have finished his quota of overs and no point in him lifting his shirt and then giving 14 runs!
And the spectators in the stadium would be doing what exactly?
Recompose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2013, 17:11   #2599
BHPian
 
JohnyBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 105
Thanked: 80 Times
Default re: The IPL Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
T... Prostitution and betting along with Alcohol in certain dry states are banned because we would love to hold our morals up high for the whole world to see. Behind the scenes, all three are used to make more money for the political class.

Legalise all three and put into place a proper body to monitor them and things will get a lot better.

...
Yes, this is the way to go. Wherever it is legalised the impact is lower. For example, the molestation/rape cases are lower in Singapore or Thailand compared to Delhi or Mumbai or anywhere in India.
Once (If) they are made legal, there may be an initial period of 'madness' where few people running around for tasting the 'new' things, but eventually the excitement will be over.
JohnyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2013, 18:25   #2600
BHPian
 
Farukh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 76
Thanked: 41 Times
Default re: The IPL Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
I am still hoping RR can beat SRH. I dont care by hook or crook, just beat SRH.
Mate, this means war.

RCB and RR have had enough publicity (courtesy Kohli & SreeSanth). Now let SRH earn some.
Farukh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2013, 19:35   #2601
Senior - BHPian
 
naveenroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,311
Thanked: 679 Times
Default re: The IPL Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
This is the main issue in our country today. We have these morals which are not even skin deep, but we continue to flaunt them saying that this is our culture. Prostitution and betting along with Alcohol in certain dry states are banned because we would love to hold our morals up high for the whole world to see. Behind the scenes, all three are used to make more money for the political class.

Legalise all three and put into place a proper body to monitor them and things will get a lot better.
Yup, I think it is time that we accept this and legalise. Moral uprightness be damned. What is morality anyway?
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2013, 21:35   #2602
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kochi
Posts: 227
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recompose View Post

And the spectators in the stadium would be doing what exactly?
We can legalise betting just like in horse racing. In this way, at least we can restrict the money and limit the people. There won't be any International play.
Rameshdude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2013, 21:38   #2603
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,579
Thanked: 3,474 Times
Default re: The IPL Thread

OT: Keen to know more on the IPL spot-fixing saga, I tuned into TimesNow this evening (the only Indian news channel available here in Singapore), and had the misfortune to listen to this New Anchor Arnab Goswami. He calls it a debate, but does not allow the 6 others to talk at all! Because of this wannabe Piers Morgan I am back to online sources now.

This is indeed a feast for our news channels.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 22:18   #2604
Senior - BHPian
 
Soumyajit9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: 10010
Posts: 1,508
Thanked: 1,647 Times
Default re: The IPL Thread

Just found this Off-Facebook:

A towel can change your life:
- One made Ranbir Kapoor's career
- Another finished Sreesanth's career
- And another one made Sunny Leoone's career
Soumyajit9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2013, 00:05   #2605
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: mumbai
Posts: 450
Thanked: 181 Times
Default re: The IPL Thread

Hi everybody.
Here is a brilliant cartoon from the DNA newspaper dated 18/5/2013 on the subject of using a towel,wristband etc to signal.And the solution to it.
Regards
http://epaper.dnaindia.com/story.asp...0009&ed_page=1
faustus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2013, 00:45   #2606
PPS
Senior - BHPian
 
PPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,911
Thanked: 1,812 Times
Default re: The IPL Thread

Kohli should hand the Man of the Match Award to Murali Vijay!

CSK could have won if they wanted to, even R.P. Singh tried but i guess that wasn't to be!

I mean Dhoni batting at no.5 in an 8 over game!

Last edited by PPS : 19th May 2013 at 00:47.
PPS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2013, 08:38   #2607
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: LAX-SNA-BFL-BLR
Posts: 319
Thanked: 12 Times
Default re: The IPL Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farukh View Post
Mate, this means war.

RCB and RR have had enough publicity (courtesy Kohli & SreeSanth). Now let SRH earn some.
Hey Hyderabad has already won the title once, i just want Gayle and Co. to bring him a title to Bangalore.
CaliAtenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2013, 08:56   #2608
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,579
Thanked: 3,474 Times
Default re: The IPL Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
Hey Hyderabad has already won the title once, i just want Gayle and Co. to bring him a title to Bangalore.
I used to like Bangalore team, and its even better with the wonderful Gayle. But whenever I see the smug-like attitude of Mr. Kohli, wish he donít get a chance to lift the cup

Despite the presence of Harbhajan Singh, I would like to see the MI win.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 11:15   #2609
BHPian
 
indian21r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 731
Thanked: 262 Times
Default re: The IPL Thread

Yay Sun has risen well in the Hyderabad. A brilliant Team Effort, no star power but 2 MVP atom players in Top 5. We have 2 underdogs in the playoffs. Now these should be interesting matches. SRH has the lowest Runs scored as well as conceded. That was the key for them to qualify. All the teams in Playoffs have made excellent utilization of the Home conditions. Domestic Captains have done well

MI vs CSK, batting fire power on both sides. Should be an explosive match
RR vs SRH, Teams spirit is the strength for both of them. RR has to overcome Scandal while SRH has to overcome batting collapses

Till now IPL 6 gave us class as well as mass. Players danced more than the cheer leaders
indian21r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 11:43   #2610
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: LAX-SNA-BFL-BLR
Posts: 319
Thanked: 12 Times
Default re: The IPL Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Yay Sun has risen well in the Hyderabad. A brilliant Team Effort, no star power but 2 MVP atom players in Top 5. We have 2 underdogs in the playoffs. Now these should be interesting matches. SRH has the lowest Runs scored as well as conceded. That was the key for them to qualify. All the teams in Playoffs have made excellent utilization of the Home conditions. Domestic Captains have done well

MI vs CSK, batting fire power on both sides. Should be an explosive match
RR vs SRH, Teams spirit is the strength for both of them. RR has to overcome Scandal while SRH has to overcome batting collapses

Till now IPL 6 gave us class as well as mass. Players danced more than the cheer leaders
I was sad to see SRH win because that meant RCB was out :(. I want RR to win seeing as Dravid is a favorite player of mine. MI have a real shot of beating CSK, i hope they do...
CaliAtenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Report & Pics: VW Vento IPL Edition EDIT : Now IPL Edition II Launched for 2012 IPL Stratos The Indian Car Scene 76 15th March 2012 08:44
Move over IPL, the Indian Motorsports League is here! Street circuits too RM Motorsports Indian Motorsport 17 6th March 2012 07:32


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:29.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks