Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 9th April 2008, 01:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Tiff Needell puts his real world skills against David Baker (UK GT4 champ)!!!

Test 1 - Time Trial in a real 350Z around Brands Hatch
Test 2 - Time Trial in a Gran Turismo 350Z (Sports Medium Tyres) around Suzuka East Course.

Results are closer than i expected.

Game on: the video racer v the track master - Times Online

PS : I tried the same setup in GT4 and got a lap time of 56.868. Hehe

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 02:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

Posted the link to the 2nd page by mistake.

Here's page 1 - http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol...=null&offset=0

Shan2nu
Old 16th September 2008, 17:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Shan, atleast from what little I know NO game will teach you what a racing line is. Unless you read upon what racing lines are online or a book or learn it from your friends you will not know about it. Though the predicted line on games actually does show the racing lines one has to follow, in real life it is quite tough for people to associate with it. That said, once you know what a racing line is, then it becomes easy to play on a video game or to drive a car on a track in real life.
Why not, a racing line is a path you take use on track which lets you put in the fastest lap time without cutting corners at any point of time. When you do this in a game, you're getting realtime data. You not only get a break down of your lap times but you also get to compare yourself against your fastest lap (chost car) which really helps understand where you're losing time.

Next time im in Blore, we need to have a GT5 session. You'l know how good it is only when you play it with a serious and competetive mindset.

Quote:
knowing the line and being able to drive the line are two very very very different things.
Thats why i said not all gamers are good on track coz the "being able to drive the line" part requires actual driving skills. But atleast for me, games have really helped me understand racing lines more than anything. Hoping to use my GT5 knowledge at the next track day. hehe

Quote:
Shan, the track day scene has gone down completely by the looks of it. Its come to an extent where people really don't come to actively take part. So some of us just take off to the tracks whenever we feel like. I had recently been to Chennai on one such trip. I'll keep you informed on any future events. But, I might not be able to post it up online as I hardly get time to come online.
No prob. I believe the SX4 is gonna be tested on track, so maybe we can go as a group. Track day ka track day......testing ka testing.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 16th September 2008 at 18:05.
Old 16th September 2008, 18:23   #4
BHPian

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
knowing the line and being able to drive the line are two very very very different things.
Therefore not knowing the line AND not knowing how to drive it is definately worse than knowing one of these two "very different things", Which was Shan2nu's point anyway, if i understand correctly.
What he is trying to say that a person with virtual track experience will be slightly better than a person with no track experience, and you cannot deny that.

Anyway, lets not get into the virtual Vs real debate, waiting eagerly for the rest of your experiences Harbir! Cheers! cheers:

Last edited by Amien : 16th September 2008 at 18:25.
Amien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2008, 18:28   #5
BHPian

I would like to disagree on this my friend. Like Shantanu said, a game can definitlely help you with your lines but it takes real driver skills to repeat that in a real environment.

Secondly, if game/simulators were of no help and were useless why would ace track/f1/rally drivers play games or use simulation softwares before the race and try n get to know about the track and what line's to follow!

I do not understand how would a book and friend when compared to a simulator/game help you in getting better with your lines/technique when it comes to motor sports!

Motorsports is all about getting to know your lines and getting to know the surroundings of your course. Which games like GT5 can help you with.

Cheers
Shrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Shan, atleast from what little I know NO game will teach you what a racing line is. Unless you read upon what racing lines are online or a book or learn it from your friends you will not know about it. Though the predicted line on games actually does show the racing lines one has to follow, in real life it is quite tough for people to associate with it. That said, once you know what a racing line is, then it becomes easy to play on a video game or to drive a car on a track in real life.

Last edited by ssjr0498 : 16th September 2008 at 18:32.
ssjr0498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2008, 21:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Therefore not knowing the line AND not knowing how to drive it is definately worse than knowing one of these two "very different things", Which was Shan2nu's point anyway, if i understand correctly.
What he is trying to say that a person with virtual track experience will be slightly better than a person with no track experience, and you cannot deny that.
Yup, thats exactly my point.

I didn't say that driving around Nurburgring in a game will give me enough expereince to sit in a car and challenge a pro whos done equal number of laps around that track for real.

But i will deff be in a much better position to challenge someone who has the same driving skill as me, who is a non gamer and has never driven there.

Quote:
Gran Turismo 5 is very tough. You get penalised for even the smallest mistake. 2010..??? i thought it was the october
Thats true, compared to GT4 the tolerence levels are much lower. But if you watch the replay of the top rank holders, you will notice that even though they're quick, you would never ever dream of driving a real car like that. These guys would wear out their tyres in no time if they were to replicate this sort of driving in real life.

But if you drive within limits, you may be slower in the game, but you will do much better on a real track than these guys.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 16th September 2008 at 21:18.