Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Closed Thread

Old 30th July 2008, 18:13   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P180V1 View Post
I just saw the TATA NANO being tested today in Adugodi, near MICO factory, close to Koramangala. it was a metallic white color one, with no cover or anything, just in the flesh. No use taking any pics as all of us have seen what it looks like.

CHEERS,
G D
One of my friend working at Mico, confirmed that they are in process of testing the vechicle on Bangy roads. The car is often seen around Adugudi area.

I am eager to get my hands on, as his impression sounded very tempting !
Old 2nd August 2008, 12:01   #137
BHPian

Default First NANO assembled at Singur

As per today's Hindustan Times, the engineers at TATA Singur plant assembled the first NANO on tuesday August 1 and held a cermony. The paper also carried the pics of the assembly line.
Hindustantimes.com : Photos > Pictures, Wallpapers and Calendars from India?s leading portal
Attached Images

Last edited by Car-Agey : 2nd August 2008 at 12:06.
Old 2nd August 2008, 12:55   #138
Senior - BHPian

Its nice to see this car coming in to near production. This means that the initial production runs are running now.

I hope they are able to make in October.
Old 3rd August 2008, 08:21   #139
BHPian

Hope nano also comes in hybrid engines, that will make a lot of sense for the rising fuel prices.
Old 3rd August 2008, 19:50   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeetu4444 View Post
Hope nano also comes in hybrid engines, that will make a lot of sense for the rising fuel prices.
I wonder how much that would cost???

This one is also supposed to be hooked with the Air engine, that i think will make a lot of economical sense, since it can be charged like a battery car, except for being a bit noisy at night.
Old 3rd August 2008, 21:13   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

I wonder how reliable the Nano will be? Going by Tata's past record, the gremlins in the now 9 year old Indica are still being sorted out. And the Indigo too is'nt gremiln free.Its also gradually improving and the improvements will go on till I don't know when.
Lets hope the Tata Nano gets the reliable car tag soon after its launch. Or else it intends to sway families from owning two wheelers and upgrade to four wheels. The families should'nt get stranded with the Nano midway. Or else,for the common middle class, it will be back to the two wheelers and the good old Maruti 800!
Old 3rd August 2008, 21:44   #142
Senior - BHPian

Well the thing is TATA's cars are very much inconsistent, one can see more issues % wise in TATA's cars rather saying stable model.

About TATA there would be issues based on TATA's past records but I feel there will be less issues because now a days their products are improved compared with before.

But its still long way to go to see refined products from TATA says expert.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 6th August 2008, 09:50   #143
BHPian

Default Tatas should build car factory in 600 acres:Mamata

Some news on the political scenario in Singur which could decide the fate of Nano. I guess its high time Tata's pulled out of Singur and decide to go elsewhere.

---------------------------------------

KOLKATA: Firebrand Trinamool Congress leader Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday said she doesn't want Tatas to abandon their 'Nano' car plant in Singur, but was firm that they surrender a portion of the land acquired for the facility.

"We do not want anyone to leave. But at the same time, we don't want the people also to leave the state," she said, asking Tata Motors to return 400 acress of the 1,000 acres it acquired for setting up a plant to manufacture the world's cheapest car.

Commenting on a media report that the Tatas might pull out of Singur in the state, she told reporters that her party was not opposed to the 600 acres that was acquired for the small-car unit. The ancillary units could be located nearby.

Banerjee said that the Tatas should listen to the voice of the people and tell the government to return the 400 acres which she claimed was "forcibly acquired."

She said that the indefinite agitation around the Tata project at Singur would be launched on August 24 as announced earlier. "We are protesting against forcible acquisition of 400 acres and we will launch satyagraha (following Mahatma) Gandhiji's footsteps," she said.

Refuting CPI-M's charges, she said that her party was not creating any unrest and organised the movement in a peaceful manner in the past two and a half years. "It is the state government and the CPI-M which are causing provocation", she charged.

Tata Motors Managing Director Ravi Kant had last month said that "we will continue as long as our patience lasts," triggering speculation that the company might leave West Bengal.

Source: Economic Times
Old 6th August 2008, 10:24   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshooli View Post
Some news on the political scenario in Singur which could decide the fate of Nano. I guess its high time Tata's pulled out of Singur and decide to go elsewhere.

Source: Economic Times
Well this is a very bad news for all of us who want to see the tatas to progress and i personaly would like tata to grow along with this car because this is a real milestone as far as nano is consern.
Old 6th August 2008, 11:37   #145
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Exciting to see these pre-production pictures! It is indeed going to be a colourful diwali this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
I wonder how reliable the Nano will be?
The Nano is an extremely basic car, with only the essential mechanical bits going into it. Simplicity aids reliability. Also consider that when the Indica was launched, Tata knew nothing about making a proper mass-production passenger car. You could say that the last 10 years have been a crucial learning experience for them. I am confident that the Nano will be free of any significant problems.
Old 6th August 2008, 13:57   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Agey View Post
As per today's Hindustan Times, the engineers at TATA Singur plant assembled the first NANO on tuesday August 1 and held a cermony. The paper also carried the pics of the assembly line.
I have a stupid question looking to the second picture, the car has 2 intakes on the rear doors to aid cooling to the engine, so if you get banged from the side would we have to replace the entire monocoque ?
Old 6th August 2008, 15:09   #147
Senior - BHPian

Star Maza, marathi news channel had captured a detailed video of a black nano being tested in the ghats near pune. Just managed to catch a glimpse of the program at the end so didnt get the details of which ghat. But the black nano looked great in flesh. Googled it but could not find the video. :(
Old 6th August 2008, 21:26   #148
Senior - BHPian

Interesting to see the first car, but did they just produce one car on the trial run? It was good to see the bare bodyshell of the car.
Old 6th August 2008, 22:04   #149
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Agey View Post
As per today's Hindustan Times, the engineers at TATA Singur plant assembled the first NANO on tuesday August 1 and held a cermony.

Err, but there is no Singur plant yet, no? This is obviously a photo of a prototype.
Old 6th August 2008, 22:34   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Star Maza, marathi news channel had captured a detailed video of a black nano being tested in the ghats near pune. Just managed to catch a glimpse of the program at the end so didnt get the details of which ghat. But the black nano looked great in flesh. Googled it but could not find the video. :(
Go up and down Old Pune - Mumbai highway between Dapodi and Chinchwad. You are likely to catch the Nano in flesh . Have seen the black Nano 4-5 times. Finishing isnt done on this prototype, but its a prototype after all. And its runs well as well - not much engine noise too. I expected it to sound like a cross between Tata Ace and a Bajaj autorick engine
Closed Thread