Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Closed Thread

Old 15th October 2008, 10:59   #166
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys,

I was working on a project for my IRT class where we were playing around with Windows Movie Maker. Me being me, my project was on cars and I made a video on the Nano:
Check it out. Hope you'll like it.

Still processing the Video. By the way, I got a few pictures from Team-BHP. Credited on the project and can be seen on video!

Last edited by lamborghini : 15th October 2008 at 11:03.
Old 17th October 2008, 20:35   #167
Senior - BHPian

Major launch of Nano in Second Half of 2009.
Source: Major launch of Nano in second half of 2009

Article:
Quote:
Mumbai, The major launch of Nano would be in the second half of next year, vendors of the Tata Motors were told at a meeting held in Mumbai on Thursday.

Although Tata Motors officials maintained that it is a customary annual event, a number of issues concerning the suppliers are believed to have been discussed during the meet. About 100 vendors attended the meet.

It is learnt that the vendors associated with the Nano project were assured that their grievances, including the losses due to relocation of facilities from Bengal to Gujarat, would be settled. A separate meeting of Nano vendors was held in the morning followed by a general meeting of vendors in the afternoon.

The vendors were told that there would be a soft launch of the car by the end of this year and a major launch would be in the second half of the next year, said a supplier who attended the meet. Vendors were told that things regarding the implementation of the Nano project would be clear by the end of this year, he said.

About the review of terms against the backdrop of escalation of input cost and interest rates, another vendor said �discussions on review of contracts were on an individual basis. Tata Motors have compensated for the input cost hike to a great extent. Recently it has come down a bit.�

About the grim situation in the automotive market, Tata Motors told its vendors that the company expects that 2010 would be a good year. �Things would show signs of improvement from the middle of 2009 and will return to good times in 2010. The current slump is part of a cyclical process,� vendors were told.

A cross section of suppliers admitted that the company�s sourcing of parts have substantially come down in passenger car and truck segments in the recent months.

Tata Motors, which had started work on the Nano plant at Singur in West Bengal, suspended work on the plant citing continued agitation against the project. On October 7, the company signed an agreement with the Gujarat Government to set up the plant at Sanand, near Ahmedabad. It said it would explore the possibility of manufacturing the Nano at its existing facilities at Pune and Pantnagar, and launch the car in the last quarter of this financial year. The Nano was originally scheduled to be launched in the quarter beginning October.

Old 27th October 2008, 21:46   #168
Senior - BHPian

pix from here have ended up at jalopnik
jalopnik.com/5069179/tata-nano-tester-spotted-amid-rumors-of-december-launch
Old 14th November 2008, 15:21   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

SPotted one last night on way to home.

Looks like rick from behind But good otherwise. The interior space(seat & foot area) seemed equal if not more than the M800. The dicky looked very small.
Old 14th November 2008, 15:48   #170
Senior - BHPian

If any one has the pic. of the engine please post them hear.
Old 14th December 2008, 08:10   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
aaggoswami : Major launch of Nano in Second Half of 2009.
Will be much earlier. Training for dealers has started at Pune. The senior technical guys from the dealerships are having a go at the car.

More like 2 months from now, I would say.
Old 14th December 2008, 13:17   #172
Senior - BHPian

Are they sticking to the December soft launch, as reported earlier?
Old 14th December 2008, 17:52   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

December looks doubtful. Not enough time now to gear up the dealerships for servicing (training of people) & still do a December launch). Like I said, 2 months is more like it.
Old 28th December 2008, 21:45   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Observations by people who have driven the Nano is that the engine is good in it's initial pick-up & for city-type driving. Engineered top speed with 4 people & a/c is 120kph. Though it will not get there in a jiffy, which is natural for that engine, I guess. The engine is being rev-limited to 105 kph.

Overall, they say, it's a nice car. Good for city use.
Old 28th December 2008, 21:53   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Observations by people who have driven the Nano is that the engine is good in it's initial pick-up & for city-type driving. Engineered top speed with 4 people & a/c is 120kph. Though it will not get there in a jiffy, which is natural for that engine, I guess. The engine is being rev-limited to 105 kph.

Overall, they say, it's a nice car. Good for city use.
When is the EDL (Expected Date of Launch)? 120kph with 4 people is a good speed for this car given the power plant it has. And since the initial pick-up is high, it is sure gona be a hit in cities.
Old 29th December 2008, 00:39   #176
Senior - BHPian

with only 2 cylinders ,isnt the engine crippled ?imo ,they must have gone for a 3 cylinder engine with good torque and atleast 40bhp.no ,I am not asking;just suggesting..
--
also ,the life of such a under powered engine after few cycles of runs ,looks doubtful.
Old 29th December 2008, 07:19   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

@Naronikar, hope you didnt miss it : it will not be doing the 120. It has been limited to 105.

@DC, this is not going to be a heavy duty engine. But if a 800cc can last, why shouldnt a 640cc not ? A smaller engine carrying a lighter weight.

Let's see how it does in the long run. There were observations posted earlier that the parts (bearings etc) may not last higher speed drives for ever. And I dont think the Nano has been touted as a "regular" car - It's more for city use, which is what a large many cars are used for.
Old 29th December 2008, 14:22   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Naronikar, hope you didnt miss it : it will not be doing the 120. It has been limited to 105.
I was talking about Engineering speed (built up speed). But achieving 105 kph is also a good challenge with 4 people and a/c for a 640cc engine.
Old 29th December 2008, 17:13   #179
Senior - BHPian

We can see Indica(diesel esp) are coming with different engines.for eg: turbo etc. that way nano cannot satisfy many wanna be racers.more engine options.
Old 30th December 2008, 10:52   #180
BHPian

Can't wait to see nano in flesh, hope TATA put them on road soon.
Closed Thread