Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2009, 16:47   #181
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: chennai
Posts: 355
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustshrawan View Post
those who claim that the Nano will cause pollution and traffic jams should stop driving their cars before commenting. This 624 cc engine is less polluting than a two wheeler and a family of 3 or 4 on the Nano will do less harm to mother earth than when they are on their 100 cc motorcycle. As congestion grows in metros (courtesy to rise in car+truck+bus sales) small and fuel efficient cars like the Nano will make sense.
Less pollution than a two wheeler? is that for real?
ritz830 is offline  
Old 4th January 2009, 17:19   #182
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,710
Thanked: 1,080 Times
Default

the assurance given is that it wont pollute more than one
Nano will pollute less than two-wheelers
greenhorn is offline  
Old 5th January 2009, 11:55   #183
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hamden
Posts: 120
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Disagreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz830 View Post
Nano will make us fart even more greenhouse gas per household.

Indians top the pollution charts across the world. After nano, we will create history in C02 emission.
Check your facts buddy. US tops per capita pollution charts.

International Pollution Comparisons
raveen_2023 is offline  
Old 5th January 2009, 13:01   #184
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: chennai
Posts: 355
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raveen_2023 View Post
Check your facts buddy. US tops per capita pollution charts.

International Pollution Comparisons
The page you have presented is not accurate. Pollution from cars contribute only to air pollution, so you need to consider only that and not take pollution as a whole. Also the chart talks about the most polluting nation, while its not talking about the polluted i.e USA has enough forests/trees to clear away the pollution, but India does not have the same.
Dude, nice try

The relevant proof:
Air pollution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The most polluted cities are listed down in this page and you can see it for yourself.


Most polluted cites inclusive of all kinds of pollution:
Full List 2006
: Blacksmith Institute : Home

Last edited by ritz830 : 5th January 2009 at 13:07.
ritz830 is offline  
Old 5th January 2009, 16:02   #185
BHPian
 
anmol2k4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Gr. Noida Aka Gurrator Naveda
Posts: 193
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Nano will make us fart even more greenhouse gas per household.

Indians top the pollution charts across the world. After nano, we will create history in C02 emission.
Ritz, anybody reading your comment would have thought that you are implying that Indians produce more greenhouse gases than the rest.

Then Raveen countered your argument, showing that Indians (In India, only eight out of 1000 people own a car) cannot fart more pollution than people in developed nations(In developed nation ~500 out of 1000 own vehicles).

Then you said
Quote:
The page you have presented is not accurate.
I wonder how with fewer vehicles we can
Quote:
fart more
green house gases.

Quote:
Pollution from cars contribute only to air pollution, so you need to consider only that and not take pollution as a whole. Also the chart talks about the most polluting nation, while its not talking about the polluted i.e USA has enough forests/trees to clear away the pollution, but India does not have the same.
Dude, nice try

The relevant proof:
Air pollution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The most polluted cities are listed down in this page and you can see it for yourself.


Most polluted cites inclusive of all kinds of pollution:
Full List 2006
: Blacksmith Institute : Home
Now you are talking about over-all pollution, and providing the fact that developing nations are more "polluted" than developed ones.

Its ironical, that you have countered you own argument.

Because now we can rule out vehicles as the cause of pollution in developing nations, as Developed nations have more cars.

Then what is cause of pollution in developing nations ? Definitely the industrial activity.
If the same industrial activities are shifted to nations like America, they will be facing the same problems. So why are we doing what pollutes the environment ? Because such activities provide livelihood to our poor.
Lets take example of Kanpur, why is it so polluted? It is because of leather-textiles-detergent-ordinance factories. But these factories cannot be shut down as they employ so many people. Developed nations have exported their polluting industries to developing nations, we do their dirty work because we are poor. So the problem is poverty, which forces us to do whatever it takes to feed ourself.

So for us the biggest problem is not pollution but poverty, once we can come out of this poverty we wont be forced to do other people's dirty work.

And Nano(and others) plays crucial part in developing our country. India badly needs affordable vehicles, you can see it when you will see "Jugaad". You can see it when people use Tata Ace truck as a bus in rural India.

Rather than using polluting gen-sets(in Jugaads) people will modify Tata Nano to ply their farm produce to cities. Nano will also replace old and polluting three wheelers. Nano is better alternative to two wheelers for families.

Without even coming to market, Nano has forced other Automobile manufacturers to set up factories in India.

We need to encourage industries which pollute less, we need to encourage modern, less polluting and affordable form of transportation.

But it is quite ironical that people on an automobile forum are criticizing an affordable, fuel efficient, with probably tiniest IC engine.

If our cities are polluted already, then shouldn't we be blaming cars which are on the roads already.And why not replace all of those with smaller vehicles. (Like Nano) ?
anmol2k4 is offline  
Old 5th January 2009, 19:38   #186
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: chennai
Posts: 355
Thanked: Once
Default

Did you know. More than humans or cars, cows fart the most. And the methane from their farts is a big problem to the environment.
ritz830 is offline  
Old 5th January 2009, 22:27   #187
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 222
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

In fact JC said in some episode of TG that, Methane produced in 1yr from 1 cow farting is more harmful to environment that CO2 emission from 1 LR Disco in a yr (10000 miles).
abhijitaparadh is offline  
Old 7th January 2009, 10:22   #188
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hamden
Posts: 120
Thanked: 55 Times
Default

I agree with anmol2k4. US itself has not signed Kyoto protocol until now and people in India (which ratified that protocol) are worried about pollution from a tiny car.

For me, improving standards of living in INDIA is more important than worrying about melting ice caps in north pole.
raveen_2023 is offline  
Old 19th March 2009, 16:36   #189
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bombay
Posts: 474
Thanked: 25 Times
Default

Anyone got a Pass to giveaway for the March 23 2009 Nano Launch to be held in Mumbai ?

If Yes then please PM me.
supercars is offline  
Old 23rd March 2009, 00:10   #190
BHPian
 
Guite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Noida, NCR
Posts: 463
Thanked: 171 Times
Default Visual size comparision: Nano vs M800

An automobile magazine carried a photograph of the Nano and Maruti 800 parked together haphazardly and commented on the difference in size. But it was difficult to discern the difference due to perspective effect. So I decided to put things in 'perspective'.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Nano Thread-nano_vs_m800.jpg  

Guite is offline  
Old 23rd March 2009, 10:41   #191
Senior - BHPian
 
rjvora_2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai/Mulund
Posts: 1,656
Thanked: 39 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
An automobile magazine carried a photograph of the Nano and Maruti 800 parked together haphazardly and commented on the difference in size. But it was difficult to discern the difference due to perspective effect. So I decided to put things in 'perspective'.
I think this Nano has a longer while base!! that's a good news.
rjvora_2000 is offline  
Old 23rd March 2009, 13:19   #192
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 249
Thanked: Once
Default

Hi Guys,

So who all are booking the Nano baby?
udit78 is offline  
Old 23rd March 2009, 16:02   #193
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,487
Thanked: 1,172 Times
Default

"I want to be able to take my wife out for a drive in a car - my own car"
Indian chauffeur Gopal Pandurang

Aspiration of an average Indian... I am glad Tata has done it, its up to the government to provide the necessary infrastructure.
extreme_torque is offline  
Old 23rd March 2009, 17:21   #194
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,564
Thanked: 10,477 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
"I want to be able to take my wife out for a drive in a car - my own car"
Indian chauffeur Gopal Pandurang
But not too soon, and you'd better keep your lakh ready, Gopal, to hand over to TML and wait a few months.

Read the news: Nano buyers have to pay entire price on booking

Quote:
In an effort to limit the demand for the much-hyped people's car, Tata Motors would insist on 100% (Rs 1 lakh) down payment for the Nano on booking. This, according to dealers, is an attempt to restrict the bookings since the company is severely constrained on the supply side of Nano.
SS-Traveller is offline  
Old 23rd March 2009, 18:31   #195
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,564
Thanked: 10,477 Times
Default

And you don't get any TDs before you book/buy either...
No free rides on the Nano
SS-Traveller is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Power of 1+1: Tata GenX Nano pre-launch exchange programme for existing Nano owners Aditya The Indian Car Scene 108 1st June 2015 12:42
A Nano trip on a Nano budget...in a Tata Nano novice_alto Travelogues 11 28th September 2014 15:19
"Small Wonder: The Making of Nano": a book about the Tata Nano Mpower The Indian Car Scene 25 5th December 2010 23:11
The Tata Nano Gamble - how many Nano Tatas will have to sell agentsmith2 The Indian Car Scene 41 28th October 2009 13:40


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:41.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks