Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 22nd September 2009, 15:56   #211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Im reasonably familiar...as per my information.
Thanks, Shankar.

Any idea on the cost of living? Is it lesser than other metros which is my perception?

Also, which areas constitute central calcutta? I could look them up in Google for more ideas.

Thanks again.
travelwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 19:19   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post
There is a possibility I might take up a job offer in Calcutta. I require help from TBHPians in that city to understand a few things regarding cost of living in Calcutta.

1. What would a 2 bed accomodation cost in a decent locality (on rent)? I will have to commute to an area called Salt Lake there
2. Which area has better schools for my 5 yr old kid?
3. To which city is the cost of living in Cal comparable? Is it more expensive than, say, Delhi?
4. Initially, I will be moving alone and am looking to take up a bachelor acccomodation till around April. Are there such rooms available there on a temporary basis?

I look forward to help from fellow BHPians and any more info on the city is also welcome.
Hey travelwriter,

Most good schools are in Central or South Calcutta, these are usually ICSE (Delhi) Board, and WB Board. Salt Lake itself does have a few schools, but they are not that reknowned in comparison.

Cost of living is comparable to no other metropolitan city, in that Kolkata is still one of the cheapest cities to live in, and that includes things like rent, public transport and food. Of course, the mall culture etc will be the same in re expenses.

Salt Lake would have bachelor acco, since Sector V (the IT hub) is in Salt Lake, and therefore I am presuming that there would be a number of outstation people who have put up in Salt Lake proper. As a locality, it is indeed quite nice, if a little desolate at times.
arindambasu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 21:11   #213
Senior - BHPian

hey travelwriter

yes arindam is absolutely correct in his post.

cost of living in cal is nowhere like in bangalore, new delhi or bombay etc
the only comparable city to cal in terms of cost of living would possibly be Madras.
(somehow I dislike the new names - Kolkata, Chennai, Mumbai, Pune, Bengaluru etc - cannot reconcile myself to using them though the usage is very commonplace nowadays.)

ref schools etc yes, salt lake being newer hasnt yet had time for its schools to build a pedigree - but comparisons are really not quite fair because all the first class schools of cal have pretty much had a 100 year headstart over those of salt lake!

to live in, salt lake is a nice quiet place in comparison with say Gariahat
but you could even consider Gariahat or New Alipore or Tollygunge areas to live in - but the commute to Salt lake daily would be a pain in the rear end.

south central calcutta like russell street, south circular road, lower circular road, park street, wood street, camac street, rawdon street and parts of bhawnipur which used to be beautiful residential areas are now unfortunately enslaved by commercial developments and chaotic traffic so thats pretty much out of the question.

In the 1970's itself people were buzzing off to New Alipore and other such localities to live in. those days it was more about easy access to the clubs and games and sports facilities etc - calcutta being a typical boxwallah company heavy, clubland oriented kind of town.

But in the 1980's, 1990's and early 2000's there has been a large scale movement to salt lake - and now with the new development of New Town, there is likely to be a whole new catchment area developing there.

but enough from a non resident, nostalgic, slightly earlier gen calcuttan -and over to the real cal experts from hereon!!
cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Hey travelwriter,

Most good schools are in Central or South Calcutta, these are usually ICSE (Delhi) Board, and WB Board. Salt Lake itself does have a few schools, but they are not that reknowned in comparison.

Cost of living is comparable to no other metropolitan city, in that Kolkata is still one of the cheapest cities to live in, and that includes things like rent, public transport and food. Of course, the mall culture etc will be the same in re expenses.

Salt Lake would have bachelor acco, since Sector V (the IT hub) is in Salt Lake, and therefore I am presuming that there would be a number of outstation people who have put up in Salt Lake proper. As a locality, it is indeed quite nice, if a little desolate at times.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 22nd September 2009 at 21:12.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 12:36   #214
BHPian

Default Relocation to a New Company. Need some assitance on that

Hi Mods,
Please delete this thread if you see this does not fit here and help to the right existing thread. Thanks.

To Bhpians,
I am currently working for Indian IT and looking out for a shift to another company Syntel Inc. I have got the offer and have some doubts related to it and hence it would be great if someone can help. I can PM/Call you to discuss.

Thanks, SajjanRaj.
gsajjanraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 14:20   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
hey travelwriter

yes arindam is absolutely correct in his post..... cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Hey travelwriter,

Most good schools are in Central or South Calcutta...if a little desolate at times.

Thanks, Arindam and Shankar.

I think my movement is more or less final. Just have to convince my wife, though. She hates instability in life. Quite the opposite of me actually.

Here is what I plan to do.

I will take some bachelor acco till such time as I find a good school for my son and then find an acco near the school. Currently, my son is in ICSE. I presume finding a school there shouldn't be a problem especially when I am prepared to put up with the traffic on the road. I drive about 35 kms one way here in Bombay and the traffic is chaotic. How much worse can it get in Calcutta? (Shankar, even I prefer the old names)

I think 4 months should be sufficient time to scout the city entirely, don't you think?

I would just like some idea of residential places that are

1. Quiet (far from the madding crowd)
2. Have enough entertainment for the kid - lots of kids, parks, play areas, etc.
3. Safe and secure - without slums or such shanties around
4. At the most 20 kms from Salt Lake (I can live with more but would like to spend more time with the family)

My wife prefers flats as they have more families and she won't feel lost and there would be many kids around. But then bungalows or row houses kind of acco is also ok.

This will be my first time to Calcutta to live and work there. So far, I have visited only Part street for the egg rolls there. I hope the city of joy lives up to its name for me.

Will get in touch soon when the actual movement starts.

Thanks again, guys.
travelwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2009, 15:02   #216
BHPian

@travelwriter,

based on your requirements there is no better place to stay than salt lake itself. it wont be difficult to find accomodation but it is a bit more expensive than the rest of calcutta.

20km from salt lake will take atleast 1 1/2 hour on an avg. to travel. incase you are going to get company transport or are bringing your own vehicle then it wont be a problem. otherwise stick to saltlake.

regarding education there are a few schools (good ones) on the E.M. Bypass which is the main connector from Saltlake to the rest of calcutta. so it shouldnt be a problem.
NOS Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2009, 08:16   #217
BHPian

Default Single room / House in South Mumbai - Looking for rental

Good Morning Team-Bhp,

This is my second house hunting post. I have recently relocated to Mumbai.
I am looking for a house in south mumbai closer to sea side. All I need is a single room house or if anyone is looking for roommates on single basis I am interested. Preferably a fully furnished room. I am looking in the budget of around 12k. My office is in Nariman point and I want to save time on travel.

I also need a parking for my new Bullet Classic 500 EFI.

Any leads are happily appreciated. I can move in immediately if needed.

Thanks in advance
indian21r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010, 15:03   #218
BHPian

Default The House/Apartment for Rent in Bangalore Thread

There are many threads on TBHP like Giveaway, places to eat threads. I find them really useful.

I searched but could not find any thread for Property rent (there is one for Property/Real estate but concentrates on BUYING of property but not renting).

So requesting TBHPians to post details of House /apartments that are available for rent in Bangalore. Also anyone looking for a house on rent can post request here.

Property Rent Offers:

1. Area/Locality where house/Apartment is located:
2. Number of Rooms & area (sq ft/mtr):
3. Brief description (which floor, etc):
4. Amenities (water etc):
5. Rent & advance deposit expected:

Property Rent Request:

1. Locality where house/apartment is required:
2. Description of requirement

Probably we can discuss on average rent in our areas so the people on the lookout will have an idea what is a good rent offer.

Request to Mods: Hope this is not an unnecessary thread as I could not find anything on TBHP catering to the topic.
ashwinsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 17:41   #219
BHPian

Default Re: Relocation - Local orientation and help

Its time somebody moved to Bangalore!

So, I am moving to Bangalore!

Jokes apart,

All dear Bangaloreans (teambhpians),
After going through the whole thread, I know many a things now, but, my requirement being bit different, I am thinking of posting here.

Details:

Reason for relocation: Job! (will be working in Vijaynagar, Whitefield area)

Requirements:
  1. Vicinity: balance between Workplace and residentialish area (closer to the workplace as much possible though) can do about 20-30mins-oneway.
  2. Requirement: Will be staying alone. Decent place. Any floor (doesnt matter, as long as we have a lift), PG with a 1+1 room will do too! (preferrably single to start with.. may go for sharing, once comfy in the place..)
  3. Rent: As much about 5K +/- 1K
  4. Transport: Nearer to Bus route (Volvo City Bus route (going to Whitefield), I mean)

Plus: require Wifi (which I see is almost a standard in all PG ads.).

Nicer things around would be a plus! lol

When there,
I will sure meet up with fellow BHPians!
CorsaLove, shankar.balan, D-man (he is inactive now?) and other dear members!

I hope you all will help this guy here!

Here I come Namma Bengalooru!

care,

Ace.

P.S. Writing stories induces longgg_posts_syndrome everywhere! (tongue out smiley here)

Last edited by driverace : 11th January 2011 at 17:44. Reason: added P.S.
driverace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 17:56   #220
BHPian

The preferred location for people working in whitefield would be AECS layout or BEML layout. You should be able to find lot of PG's in those locations. Can even try for a 1BHK instead of a PG. There are enough places to eat out at these places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
Its time somebody moved to Bangalore!

So, I am moving to Bangalore!

Jokes apart,

All dear Bangaloreans (teambhpians),
After going through the whole thread, I know many a things now, but, my requirement being bit different, I am thinking of posting here.

Details:

Reason for relocation: Job! (will be working in Vijaynagar, Whitefield area)

Requirements:
  1. Vicinity: balance between Workplace and residentialish area (closer to the workplace as much possible though) can do about 20-30mins-oneway.
  2. Requirement: Will be staying alone. Decent place. Any floor (doesnt matter, as long as we have a lift), PG with a 1+1 room will do too! (preferrably single to start with.. may go for sharing, once comfy in the place..)
  3. Rent: As much about 5K +/- 1K
  4. Transport: Nearer to Bus route (Volvo City Bus route (going to Whitefield), I mean)
Plus: require Wifi (which I see is almost a standard in all PG ads.).

Nicer things around would be a plus! lol

When there,
I will sure meet up with fellow BHPians!
CorsaLove, shankar.balan, D-man (he is inactive now?) and other dear members!

I hope you all will help this guy here!

Here I come Namma Bengalooru!

care,

Ace.

P.S. Writing stories induces longgg_posts_syndrome everywhere! (tongue out smiley here)
neon_daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 20:01   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon_daytona View Post
The preferred location for people working in whitefield would be AECS layout or BEML layout. You should be able to find lot of PG's in those locations. Can even try for a 1BHK instead of a PG. There are enough places to eat out at these places.
Thank you neon_daytona.
I will check those out (on Gmaps!)

I exactly am thinking about PG/1BHK method!
(but then, again, after reading this post from page 1, dimmed my hopes of getting a 1BHK- in my price.)

Thanks.

Let the help keep coming dear folks!

Bangalore! kaha ho tum!!

care,

Ace.

Edit:
Just had a talk with one of PG-owners.
20x14 room (3 sharing!)
Rent = 4500/ pm :(

Tough start!

Last edited by driverace : 11th January 2011 at 20:08. Reason: added Edit.
Old 12th January 2011, 00:36   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
(will be working in Vijaynagar, Whitefield area)
Welcome to Bangalore. Vijaynagar and Whitefield are quite far from each other, so first confirm your work location before zeroing on the place of stay.

Although it might be difficult to find 1bhk, you could go for shared accommodation wherein a 2/3 bhk is being shared by 2/3 people and each gets an independent room.

I would suggest you don't rely on ads promising wifi and stuff. Best to get a Data card.
Jaguar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 09:56   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Welcome to Bangalore. Vijaynagar and Whitefield are quite far from each other, so first confirm your work location before zeroing on the place of stay.

Although it might be difficult to find 1bhk, you could go for shared accommodation wherein a 2/3 bhk is being shared by 2/3 people and each gets an independent room.

I would suggest you don't rely on ads promising wifi and stuff. Best to get a Data card.
Dear Jaguar,
Thank you for your welcome!
Actually location is Whitefield only.(Near Dell)

Ya, I am also looking at a similar prospect (2BHK shared by 2 ppl), although 1BHK would be awesome!

And, thanks for the Heads up on the Wifi thing. Will check first.

Thanks again.

There is a Bangalore majority on the forum!!
Where are all dear folks of Bangalore!

care,

Ace.
Old 16th January 2011, 12:27   #224
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : *Bumping* up your own query or post is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP, and is considered as SPAM.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 18th January 2011 at 17:12.
driverace is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 25th February 2011, 11:44   #225
Senior - BHPian

Default PG for Female

Hi looking for a PG for a fresher who is joining a company in Manyata.

Preferred areas would be along ORR since they have a bus plying down these routes.

Safe and with food would be ideal.

I am scanning the online classifieds. But any recommendations from this group would right on top of the my list.

Thanks in advance.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote