Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 5th February 2008, 18:11   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Are ricks a good option?
Its the most easily accessible form of public transport but can be irritating sometimes. Why not get a bike? will work out cheaper and is way more comfortable. The attitude of auto drivers is not pleasant most of the time.

Quote:
What I was told is that from BTM, it would take me about 20 mins to reach Kormangala in peak hour traffic, is that true?
Make that 30 mins minimum.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2008, 18:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by watfor View Post
Hope you have been reading the thread on malls being in the wrong places in Bangalore. That's in Kormangala. Welcome to Bangalore.
Yes, I did read about that. My office would be on 2nd Cross, 1st block. How is that area?
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2008, 19:00   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Its the most easily accessible form of public transport but can be irritating sometimes. Why not get a bike? will work out cheaper and is way more comfortable. The attitude of auto drivers is not pleasant most of the time.

Make that 30 mins minimum.
I want a bike. However, my family members are against me getting a bike in Blr. If that would have been Mumbai then no issues what so ever! I know that second hand cars are expensive in BLR else I was planning to buy a used Fiat Uno there.
Old 5th February 2008, 19:45   #19
Senior - BHPian

1st block is on the sarjapur road, right? that would be a bit far from the BTM layout 2nd stage, good news is you can take the silk board route, a heck of a route to travel in the morning.
govigov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2008, 19:48   #20
Senior - BHPian

My sister commutes from BTM to Koramangala I block every day (though not usually in peak hours) and her commute time is 20 minutes. In peak hours 30 minutes are usually enough. On bad days (accidents on road etc), it can take upto 50 minutes. 30 minutes would be a good average time.
hondadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2008, 20:52   #21
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to Bangalore, Amtak. For 1 BHK houses, HSR would be a good bet. The way to find them is to buy Free Ads/Ad mag at any corner store and call up the owner. Be sure to bargain. If you need any help, pm me.
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2008, 20:56   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Welcome to Bangalore, Amtak. For 1 BHK houses, HSR would be a good bet. The way to find them is to buy Free Ads/Ad mag at any corner store and call up the owner. Be sure to bargain. If you need any help, pm me.
Yes sir! I'll do the needful. Any suggestions on which mobile service provider to choose? Vodafone or airtel? I am an extensive cellphone user and m monthly bill hovers between 1500 to 2000 min (That's post 1000 free mins, and 1000 free sms's and 1000 mins of std at rs 1)
Old 5th February 2008, 21:21   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes sir! I'll do the needful. Any suggestions on which mobile service provider to choose? Vodafone or airtel? I am an extensive cellphone user and m monthly bill hovers between 1500 to 2000 min (That's post 1000 free mins, and 1000 free sms's and 1000 mins of std at rs 1)

Pray that your company has a corporate connection!!! But 1000min free / 1000 sms free / 1000 min std @1: what connection do you have????
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2008, 21:26   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Pray that your company has a corporate connection!!! But 1000min free / 1000 sms free / 1000 min std @1: what connection do you have????
Vodafone 399 Plus plan. and for std, first 1000 mins are charged at rs 1! And yeah, I forgot to mention, if one pays his bill by the Vodafone-Citibank card than there are chances that Vodafone will offer you additional 200 mins free (local)
Old 5th February 2008, 22:12   #25
Team-BHP Support

Amtak,

Ditch the idea of using ricks. They'll take you for a ride in more ways than one. The "government"'s also revised auto fares recently and none of the ricks would have had their meters recalibered - and would conveniently use this as an excuse for overcharging. Unless your company has transport, the safest option would be to use Volvo BMTC buses. I would also recommend you buy some small fuel efficient car with AC.

I've PMed you my number - feel free to call for anything.

Last edited by theMAG : 5th February 2008 at 22:15.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 00:50   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Amtak,

Ditch the idea of using ricks. They'll take you for a ride in more ways than one. The "government"'s also revised auto fares recently and none of the ricks would have had their meters recalibered - and would conveniently use this as an excuse for overcharging. Unless your company has transport, the safest option would be to use Volvo BMTC buses. I would also recommend you buy some small fuel efficient car with AC.

I've PMed you my number - feel free to call for anything.
Thanks Mahesh. I don't have a company provided transport as its not an IT company. Will call ya as soon as I settle down in BLR.
Old 6th February 2008, 09:18   #27
BANNED

AMtak ,, why do't u take u r Zen to BLR, instead of buying another used car ?
nicejits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 10:29   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I want a bike. However, my family members are against me getting a bike in Blr. If that would have been Mumbai then no issues what so ever! I know that second hand cars are expensive in BLR else I was planning to buy a used Fiat Uno there.
Buy a M800 / Alto. Will be availalble for 80K if the vehicle is 5~7 years old.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 10:46   #29
BANNED

You don't recommend raising his ride in Bangalore? Considering the speed-breakers scrape the underbelly of your Ford?
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Buy a M800 / Alto. Will be availalble for 80K if the vehicle is 5~7 years old.
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 10:52   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicejits View Post
AMtak ,, why do't u take u r Zen to BLR, instead of buying another used car ?
The reason being the way the traffic cops harass outstation cars. I don't want to be stopped at each and every traffic signal and asked to pay a fine. Further, the only thing I can say in Kannada is "kannad goitta illa!"